Heart Rate

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,575

I also think that advising to cut on biscuits can't be seen as medical advice... more like basic, solid, sensible lifestyle advice that nobody can argue with.

Oh yes they can!
    Panto season will be missed this year. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,622
    Have your resting Heart Rate and Maximum Hear Rate changed over this period too? If your docs have given you a clean bill of health then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Try and shed those kg's though as it won't be helping. It might be more difficult this time of year with clocks about to go back, colder, darker nights and more temptation to comfort eat. Set yourself a goal and stick at it. Make your addictive personality work for you instead of against you for a change.

I'm a similar age to you and recently became Type 1 Diabetic due to Pancreatic damage. My heart rate is all over the place a bit like my Blood Glucose levels, and there is no reason for this I'm told. As long as the trend of HR is reasonable and you don't get massive spikes or it drops really low, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep on cycling and listen to your body. If it complains about something then just ease off for a while. It takes willpower to stick to changes in diet - I have to be careful about what I eat. I'd rather be alive than eating cake. Simple choice.

Good luck!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 142
    roscoe said:

I can do a family bag of crisps at night and a packet of biccies, no problem.

If I do buy biccies at all, I now get the variety packs that have smaller packs inside, maybe 3 or 4 biscuits in each. One of those is enough to keep me happy, where I used to cheerfully got through at least half a normal pack at a time....

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,061

When you do psychometric testing, Ugo, where do you score on empathy?

That's an interesting one... haven't done one in 17 years.
    However, I admit I have almost zero empathy... that puts me in a borderline autistic category in those internet tests... I score just under 30... I could hit the jackpot and be diagnosed, with all the advantages that would come with it in terms of employability, if only I was a bit more socially awkward... unfortunately, I don't have any social anxiety...
    But I am working on it, and maybe all this lockdown malarkey is going to do the trick.
    Brilliant. Actually I'm the same in some respects. It's not a bad thing, necessarily.
  • Defblade said:

roscoe said:

I can do a family bag of crisps at night and a packet of biccies, no problem.

If I do buy biccies at all, I now get the variety packs that have smaller packs inside, maybe 3 or 4 biscuits in each. One of those is enough to keep me happy, where I used to cheerfully got through at least half a normal pack at a time....

Only half? Wimp

I bet you have no top 10s on Strava either ;)

• When you do psychometric testing, Ugo, where do you score on empathy?

However, I admit I have almost zero empathy... that puts me in a borderline autistic category in those internet tests... I score just under 30... I could hit the jackpot and be diagnosed, with all the advantages that would come with it in terms of employability, if only I was a bit more socially awkward... unfortunately, I don't have any social anxiety...
    But I am working on it, and maybe all this lockdown malarkey is going to do the trick.
    Brilliant. Actually I'm the same in some respects. It's not a bad thing, necessarily.
    It would be a good thing, in the strange world we live in. At this time of uncertainty, being male, white and with no disabilities puts me in a rather vulnerable position in my (your?) line of work. I can't change my ethnicity, I am not prepared to undergo gender reassignment, but if I could legitimately protect myself by being able to tick some disability boxes, that would be awesome.

Anyway, wildly off topic...
    left the forum March 2023
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 482

Have your resting Heart Rate and Maximum Hear Rate changed over this period too? If your docs have given you a clean bill of health then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Try and shed those kg's though as it won't be helping. It might be more difficult this time of year with clocks about to go back, colder, darker nights and more temptation to comfort eat. Set yourself a goal and stick at it. Make your addictive personality work for you instead of against you for a change.

I'm a similar age to you and recently became Type 1 Diabetic due to Pancreatic damage. My heart rate is all over the place a bit like my Blood Glucose levels, and there is no reason for this I'm told. As long as the trend of HR is reasonable and you don't get massive spikes or it drops really low, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep on cycling and listen to your body. If it complains about something then just ease off for a while. It takes willpower to stick to changes in diet - I have to be careful about what I eat. I'd rather be alive than eating cake. Simple choice.

Good luck!

Thanks for this. Resting HR is pretty steady, usually between 48 and 54.

Average HR is showing an upward trend, 140 to around 150 or slightly above over the last few months.

Once I put my mind to this I should do it no problem.
  • First.Aspect

It would be a good thing, in the strange world we live in. At this time of uncertainty, being male, white and with no disabilities puts me in a rather vulnerable position in my (your?) line of work. I can't change my ethnicity, I am not prepared to undergo gender reassignment, but if I could legitimately protect myself by being able to tick some disability boxes, that would be awesome.

Anyway, wildly off topic...
    If you got yourself an autism diagnosis, you would be fine.
  • roscoe said:

Over the last 2 years, I’ve managed to put on around 10kg and now weigh 80kg. I’m 5’7” and age 52.

I exercise 6 days a week, mixture of running, cycling indoors and out and also some gym work.

I’ve noticed recently that my heart rate while exercising is fairly high compared to what it was 2 years ago. This both average and maximum.

I just had a full health check at the doctor 2 weeks ago and bizarrely my blood pressure was the best it’s been for 15 years.

Is it fair to assume that the excess weight is linked to the increase in HR when exercising?

Not enough info to assume that cause and effect IMO.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

With zero empathy you could claim to be sociopathic. That would get you all sorts of advantages at work mainly an office on your own a long way from anyone else’s. ;)
  • webboo said:

With zero empathy you could claim to be sociopathic. That would get you all sorts of advantages at work mainly an office on your own a long way from anyone else’s. ;)
    Unfortunately, It's not really zero. I get quite emotional when WW2 veterans talk about their days in the war...
    typically I feel empathy for the old and the frail.
    I tend to discard every first world problem, spoiled kids, adults who can't kick a biscuit addiction, folks who moan because they don't like their job, those who cry because they have been dumped by their partner , those in pieces because their cat died, this sort of stuff leaves me completely indifferent...
    I very nearly cried when my dad passed, but in the end I didn't...
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

At this time of uncertainty, being male, white and with no disabilities puts me in a rather vulnerable position in my (your?) line of work.
    I believe I'm also in your line of work. Seeing the amount of non-disabled white men around me, I'd think we're pretty censored privileged already. Also, lower risk of being shot at by the police, lower risk of rape, no underhanded comments, no undermining of my abilities because of my gender and being able to go about my life without additional barriers doesn't sound like a vulnerability to me.

• First.Aspect

webboo said:

Unfortunately, It's not really zero. I get quite emotional when WW2 veterans talk about their days in the war...
    typically I feel empathy for the old and the frail.
    I tend to discard every first world problem, spoiled kids, adults who can't kick a biscuit addiction, folks who moan because they don't like their job, those who cry because they have been dumped by their partner , those in pieces because their cat died, this sort of stuff leaves me completely indifferent...
    I very nearly cried when my dad passed, but in the end I didn't...
    Strange. I struggle to muster emotion about people, but get tearful about animals. I cried when I first saw a humpback whale, would have done when I first saw any number of marine animals where I not under water at the time, and was overcome for weeks when I saw a bear and cubs up close, in the wild, in person. But children. Nah. Keep them out of sight and quiet please.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    edited October 2020
    drhaggis said:

At this time of uncertainty, being male, white and with no disabilities puts me in a rather vulnerable position in my (your?) line of work.
    I believe I'm also in your line of work. Seeing the amount of non-disabled white men around me, I'd think we're pretty censored privileged already. Also, lower risk of being shot at by the police, lower risk of rape, no underhanded comments, no undermining of my abilities because of my gender and being able to go about my life without additional barriers doesn't sound like a vulnerability to me.

I don't know if your line of work is the same as mine... certainly there is none of that going on at my work place... all I know is that there is this Athena Swan charter that we seem to be obsessed with and we never quite seem to hit the gender balance target to apply for Gold. The net result is that shortlisting for positions is always a 50/50 split, even if the pile of applications most of the times is not.
    Interestingly, in admin roles, the reverse doesn't happen and I don't see a 50/50 split at interviews, it's more like a 0/100.

I might be mistaken, but if I had a declared disability, I am pretty sure I would step up quite a bit in the "disposable employee" ladder when inevitably the xxx will hit the fan in a few months...

And I am saying this with no bitterness... it is what it is and I am not saying that having a disability is a blessing, what I am saying is that a DIAGNOSIS can open doors, over not having one
  • sockouk
    sockouk Posts: 13

Yes.
    Eat and drink less... 80 kg at your height, you are well in the overweight category

How have you determined that the OP is overweight?
  • sockouk said:

Yes.
    Eat and drink less... 80 kg at your height, you are well in the overweight category

BMI chart... somewhere north of 27 and south of 28
  • sockouk

sockouk said:

Yes.

BMI doesn't really work outside of a general population use though does it.
  • sockouk said:

sockouk said:

Yes.

BMI doesn't really work outside of a general population use though does it.
    OK, then everything is fine and when the OP was 70 kg he was severely underweight, luckily now he has put a bit of meat on his bones... all good then, keep eating biscuits to maintain the healthy weight...
  • sockouk
    If eating biscuits doesn't take you in to a calorie surplus then that weight will be maintained so all good then indeed :)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2020
    joe2019 said:

A few well known ones off the top of my head:

Alex Higgins, George Best, David Bowie, Amy Winehouse, Ewan McGregor, Demi Moore, Kate Moss, Ozzy Osbourne... etc - not so fat.

Mark E. Smith, Nicola Sturgeon, Kevin Bacon, Jim Carey, Emily Maitless, Jamie Lee Curtiss etc
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme