Giro 2020 - Stage 5: Mileto – Camigliatello Silano 225 km *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Who knew the reigning world TT champ was hard to pull back ;)
  • Decent ride that. Chose to take off at exactly the right moment.
  • Ineos have morph into a stage hunting team for the crazy 2020 season.

Konrad 2nd btw.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Jesus H Christ - I've spent the last hour trying to get the S4C app to work whilst watching on "teletext" etc forgetting I had the GCN race app.

Got live coverage just as Ganna was rolling into the winner's tent.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    Should nickname Tao the forehead
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    jam1e said:

Jesus H Christ - I've spent the last hour trying to get the S4C app to work whilst watching on "teletext" etc forgetting I had the GCN race app.

You can console yourself with CK for the last 22km of the Brabant
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    What a monster. You don't often see someone who has been out the front for so long be able to reopen the gap on the peloton. Attacked sat in the saddle and TDG had obviously had enough of the Movistar wheel sucking so left him to it. That final descent was horrible with the alternating wet and dry sections and lack of visibility. Surprised to see Pozzovivo on the front, I thought he was a terrible descender before having a serious injury.

Weather looking bleak for the mountain stages.
  • jam1e said:

Use the BBC iPlayer app. S4C is on there.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Brilliant, thanks.
  • NTT climbers book ending the stage results. The remarkable iron man, Pozzovivo right at the pointy end, but Ben O'Connor finishing last but one, narrowly beaten by Louis Meintjes who finished with Alvaro Hodeg.
  • Gannas first road race win (non ITT) also gone into Blue.
  • Pross
    Must be nice to win like that rather than in a TT where you don't really get to savour it unless you are last man off and know you've won comfortably.
  • Eerie weather.
    Wouldn't mind if it were Falling Leaves up the other end of the country but so far it's been a pretty grotty Giro.

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    So, Ganna is likely to win four stages. Most teams would likely classify that as a successful Giro, but you cant help but feel that Ineos will be disappointed.

In retrospect, that climb was made for a strong TT rider.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Glad Ganna won if only because I changed my pick from De Gendt to Conti when De Gendt hadn't made the break...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Wonderful from Ganna. Gets proper aero on the climbs and looks so strong
  • Pross
    ddraver said:
    Good for him. Sitting on de Gendt's wheel as he rode across was fine with a team mate ahead but then neither of the Movistar riders would work with the peloton closing on them.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

What a monster. You don't often see someone who has been out the front for so long be able to reopen the gap on the peloton. Attacked sat in the saddle and TDG had obviously had enough of the Movistar wheel sucking so left him to it. That final descent was horrible with the alternating wet and dry sections and lack of visibility. Surprised to see Pozzovivo on the front, I thought he was a terrible descender before having a serious injury.

Weather looking bleak for the mountain stages.

He went uphill well aero
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

ddraver said:
    Good for him. Sitting on de Gendt's wheel as he rode across was fine with a team mate ahead but then neither of the Movistar riders would work with the peloton closing on them.
    I would have done the same . Rubio had the card to sit on till TdG bridged after that he should have ridden .