Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Road bike colours

A rather inane point of discussion I suppose (I'll wait for the fall-out) but what is it with bike manufacturers at the moment and the increasingly dull and/or matt colours offered on new models? Ok, so everybody in the UK apparently wants grey everything - cars, kitchens, hallways, clothing (but perhaps not the weather). Sure it;s been fashionable for a while. But the colour palette offered on so many of the latest road bikes seems to get more and more monotone every year as the makers follow each other like sheep. Not everyone wants a bl**dy Audi.

Fortunately one or two still offer the occasional bit of inspiration - check out the purple on the AL version of the Trek Emonda or Ribble's Teal - but for me it can make or break a purchase decision if all other things are equal when comparing models. Am i going against the popular grain by eschewing dull grey/black?

• dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 912
    Nope.
    When I was looking for a new bike, one of my big wants was not grey, black or white.

Ended up with a chameleon one..
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,101
    I wanted a metallic blue and ended up with shiny black and grey bike and I also have a matt light blue grey and white bike. I will be repainting my commute bike soon and it will be a hi viz metallic orange.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Would totally agree. I’m looking for a new bike. Tempted to order an Orbea. Can pick your own colour scheme. Includes oranges, reds, yellows and greens.
  • I have the purple flip Domane, metallic red Emonda and, if I do decide to get it, I would like the blue Checkpoint. So I guess I agree. But whatever you want really.

My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I’ve always liked a bright white frame!
    I had a CAAD 10 in the Liquigas colours which I still regret selling. However, I did buy a 2nd gen SuperSix and one of the + points was the plain bright white frame with black Cannondale lettering ( plus it’s a brilliant bike with a classic look).
    I also own a very bright orange Tarmac , a bright green Orro Terra and have just given my son my old Cayo in matte black so a real variety. The Cayo had a replacement frame so was originally red and black.
    Overall, I prefer a bright colour, but as others say it is nice to have a choice. The very latest SuperSix colours were awful when they first came out!
  • Cinelli still sticks to some pretty bright colours. Just go to move away slightly from the mega brands.
  • They are all grey once you get past the pavé
  • lesfirthlesfirth Posts: 1,054
    I just can not understand anyone who thinks painting a bike frame matt finish paint is a good idea.
    I thought that before I bought one. Now I know it is plain stupid but there was no colour choice.
  • Glad I'm not alone. I am thinking seriously about ordering a Ribble (R872) where you have the option to order a bespoke frame and trim colours. LOVE the idea but then saw it add £299 to the price...That's a luxury I can't afford. I agree with the comment re matt colours - I just wouldn't go there but it's frustrating when everything else about the bike is right. I would also agree the European makers are generally bolder in their colour choices. I;ll keep searching.
  • There are plenty of options out there for a very good frame in bright colours either as stock or in some cases bespoke - Kinesis, Bowman, Cinelli, Standert, Baum, Stelbel, Rourke, Specialized, Scott, Isen and even Canyon to name but a few.

I have a number of frames that are also matt/satin finish and don't really see what the issue is but would be interested to know why folk don't like it.
  • Bright enough!?

• lesfirthlesfirth Posts: 1,054

There are plenty of options out there for a very good frame in bright colours either as stock or in some cases bespoke - Kinesis, Bowman, Cinelli, Standert, Baum, Stelbel, Rourke, Specialized, Scott, Isen and even Canyon to name but a few.

I have a number of frames that are also matt/satin finish and don't really see what the issue is but would be interested to know why folk don't like it.

I think a gloss bike looks better and is much easier to clean.
  • That giant does look great.
  • lettingthedaysgobylettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,391
    edited 19 September
    Matt paint can look fantastic - no reason why you can't still have bright colours.

But yes, more colour on bikes please. "Stealth" all black bikes are so, so boring.
  • MTB_RoadtripperMTB_Roadtripper Posts: 57
    edited 20 September

Bright enough!?

Nice! TCR's are so clean and simple looking.

Im still not over how nice the blue is on mine. Kinda understated but classy looking.
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016