Road bike colours

A rather inane point of discussion I suppose (I'll wait for the fall-out) but what is it with bike manufacturers at the moment and the increasingly dull and/or matt colours offered on new models? Ok, so everybody in the UK apparently wants grey everything - cars, kitchens, hallways, clothing (but perhaps not the weather). Sure it;s been fashionable for a while. But the colour palette offered on so many of the latest road bikes seems to get more and more monotone every year as the makers follow each other like sheep. Not everyone wants a bl**dy Audi.

Fortunately one or two still offer the occasional bit of inspiration - check out the purple on the AL version of the Trek Emonda or Ribble's Teal - but for me it can make or break a purchase decision if all other things are equal when comparing models. Am i going against the popular grain by eschewing dull grey/black?

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Nope.
    When I was looking for a new bike, one of my big wants was not grey, black or white.

Ended up with a chameleon one..
  • Would totally agree. I’m looking for a new bike. Tempted to order an Orbea. Can pick your own colour scheme. Includes oranges, reds, yellows and greens.
  • I have the purple flip Domane, metallic red Emonda and, if I do decide to get it, I would like the blue Checkpoint. So I guess I agree. But whatever you want really.

My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I’ve always liked a bright white frame!
    I had a CAAD 10 in the Liquigas colours which I still regret selling. However, I did buy a 2nd gen SuperSix and one of the + points was the plain bright white frame with black Cannondale lettering ( plus it’s a brilliant bike with a classic look).
    I also own a very bright orange Tarmac , a bright green Orro Terra and have just given my son my old Cayo in matte black so a real variety. The Cayo had a replacement frame so was originally red and black.
    Overall, I prefer a bright colour, but as others say it is nice to have a choice. The very latest SuperSix colours were awful when they first came out!
  • Cinelli still sticks to some pretty bright colours. Just go to move away slightly from the mega brands.
  • They are all grey once you get past the pavé
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I just can not understand anyone who thinks painting a bike frame matt finish paint is a good idea.
    I thought that before I bought one. Now I know it is plain stupid but there was no colour choice.
  • Glad I'm not alone. I am thinking seriously about ordering a Ribble (R872) where you have the option to order a bespoke frame and trim colours. LOVE the idea but then saw it add £299 to the price...That's a luxury I can't afford. I agree with the comment re matt colours - I just wouldn't go there but it's frustrating when everything else about the bike is right. I would also agree the European makers are generally bolder in their colour choices. I;ll keep searching.
  • There are plenty of options out there for a very good frame in bright colours either as stock or in some cases bespoke - Kinesis, Bowman, Cinelli, Standert, Baum, Stelbel, Rourke, Specialized, Scott, Isen and even Canyon to name but a few.

I have a number of frames that are also matt/satin finish and don't really see what the issue is but would be interested to know why folk don't like it.
  • Bright enough!?

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

There are plenty of options out there for a very good frame in bright colours either as stock or in some cases bespoke - Kinesis, Bowman, Cinelli, Standert, Baum, Stelbel, Rourke, Specialized, Scott, Isen and even Canyon to name but a few.

I have a number of frames that are also matt/satin finish and don't really see what the issue is but would be interested to know why folk don't like it.

I think a gloss bike looks better and is much easier to clean.
  • That giant does look great.
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited September 2020
    Matt paint can look fantastic - no reason why you can't still have bright colours.

But yes, more colour on bikes please. "Stealth" all black bikes are so, so boring.
  • MTB_Roadtripper
    MTB_Roadtripper Posts: 61
    edited September 2020

Bright enough!?

Nice! TCR's are so clean and simple looking.

Im still not over how nice the blue is on mine. Kinda understated but classy looking.
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • Bright enough!?

Like it!
  • Any colour you want as long as it's in stock.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited September 2020
    Never been a fan of ninja black frames, I much prefer at least a splash of vibrant colour, my Cube is matt grey with dayglo orange highlights.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I do like the colour of the red Emonda and quite like that Astana metallic blue. When a frame is black or dark grey the components don't stand out very well, which I think makes a bike less attractive.
  • Don't mind black but there are an awful lot of bikes that are predominantly black. Don't like white, don't like matt paint due to fingerprints and other greasy marks showing. Don't like hi viz (sorry, junglist_matty. Your lawn looks good though, btw). If I could choose the colour scheme for a new bike, it would be metallic burgundy, with orange and white trim, but red with black or white, or else blue, dark orange or dark green would also be good.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My best bike is ninja black, but i think if i was to buy again i'd hope to get something a bit more colourful. I bought it though because the frame was on sale (I wasn't looking to buy a new bike, but the ad came up with it being about 50% of rrp so pulled the trigger).

My commuter (steel) is bright red and I love the colour. I think i'd buy red or orange again.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I had a play with the Ribble website and came up with a few.

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Or if they are too much
  • That last one looks unfinished, primer only. But a nice idea
  • I got a Cube Attain SL in Matt black last year. They did it in a turquoise and yellow type combination but was a bit too bright so got the black one. It was more about the bike for me rather than the colour.

I have been looking at ways to brighten it up though. Things like an anodised too cal and garmin Mount. Small things but adds a dash of colour (or silver I should say).
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    The lairier the better.
    I've got a cargobike in retina burning, bright orange and still the dozy tw*ts give it SMIDSY.
  • Cargobike said:

The lairier the better.
    I've got a cargobike in retina burning, bright orange and still the dozy tw*ts give it SMIDSY.

Yeah - some folk didn't ort to be on the road    image    should have gone to...