TDF 2020 - Stage 14: Clermont-Ferrand - Lyon 194km *Spoilers*

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pross said:

It would feel like a bit of a travesty if Sagan took green by being the best rider over the first half of hilly stages before dropping back and finishing with the sprinters. Bennett, WVA and even Hirschi are more deserving assuming they go the full distance.

Same problem with the climbers jersey
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    inseine said:

Pross said:

It would feel like a bit of a travesty if Sagan took green by being the best rider over the first half of hilly stages before dropping back and finishing with the sprinters. Bennett, WVA and even Hirschi are more deserving assuming they go the full distance.

Same problem with the climbers jersey
    Yeah, that's been devalued for years.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Pross said:

I have never liked the high value intermediate sprints, but I also don't like the way riders get more points for flat stages.

Also, there are not many stages that finish on small hills this uear.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I have never liked the high value intermediate sprints, but I also don't like the way riders get more points for flat stages.

Also, there are not many stages that finish on small hills this uear.
    Yeah, I know we've had the debate before but it needs deciding if it is a best all rounder or best sprinter competition. The current format felt like it was intended to stop Cavendish winning whilst it has effectively led to it falling into Sagan's lap (twice already without him winning a stage).
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    I've been working. Have I missed anything?
  • Pross
    Good effort by Bennett there but just needed to hold on another couple of hundred metres. I'm not sure the little groups between him and the peloton will be helpful as they may slow him on the descent, might help if there's a bit of flat before the next climb though.
  • Wasn't it rejigged to ensure Cavendish could win it? Or has it changed again since.

I'm okay with it at the moment - without the distribution of points this stage would have absolutely nothing going on.
  • Pross
    Seems to be splitting a bit on the descent
  • On the other hand, the polkadot jersey being distanced by a group working for the sprint jersey on a climb says everything about how that particular jersey competition works...
  • Pross
    Must have been momentary as all together now. I think the stage has gone for Bennett now, that descent was his only chance to get back.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Bora's strategy is to wear out Bennett in the hope that he misses a time cut in the Alps and, in the meantime, try to pick up points at the end of the race?
  • Pross
    Bora aren't going to be popular with the GC teams if they keep this going to the finish.

Ha Kennaugh saying same as I type!
  • TheBigBean
    Bora

Wasn't it rejigged to ensure Cavendish could win it? Or has it changed again since.

I'm okay with it at the moment - without the distribution of points this stage would have absolutely nothing going on.

Yes, after Cavendish won 6 stages, but didn't win the green they changed the points on flat stages.

Then they thought it would add entertainment to have more points for the intermediates.
  • TheBigBean
    Bora are making this tour entertaining.
  • Bora are making this tour entertaining.

+1

I would like to see green jersey yo-yo between Sagan and Bennett right up to the Champs Elysees
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Disc brake wheel changes are slooooow
  • rick_chasey
    Roglic on the blue bike not black
  • TheBigBean
    Sam Bennett riding on the front seems foolish.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Pross said:

A wins a win . Chipolini never got to Paris
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

Sam Bennett riding on the front seems foolish.

The whole team riding hard seems foolish. If he gets back he'll probably get dropped again. They seem to be closing slightly but he's going to struggle tomorrow and burning matches today could lead to him finding the time limit a challenge.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Bora aren't going to be popular with the GC teams if they keep this going to the finish.

Ha Kennaugh saying same as I type!

Maybe but all this patron GC priority stuff is so last century now .. no ... Make em fight it out and increase the number of variables GC tacticians have to contend with . You have a team help you win yellow and strategise round don't you? This new evolving format creates unpredictability. I am in favour
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited September 2020
    ^ +1

No support for the Boardman tactic of just chalking this up as a loss and riding easy for Bennett then..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Bennett sits up.. he needs to save it
  • Front group not got message yet, CCC drilling it needlessly...
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020

Front group not got message yet, CCC drilling it needlessly...

Get it 5 mins or so . They will reorganise behind at some stage . Plus you don't want a counter attack from.the lead group
  • TheBigBean
    The ITV commentary team annoys me.
  • mididoctors
    Bennett looks empty . Have
    a gel.mate ,you'll be alright
  • Wonder if Bernal is a better hot weather rider / less impacted by long days in the heat vs the field. No brutally hot days on this years tour
  • mididoctors

The ITV commentary team annoys me.

At least we have choice ... Imagine only having duffers for years on end punctuated with suitcase of courage sherwen and legget .. I think hours of listening to anyone is grating after a while truth be told
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020
    Belgians *scathing* of ineos tactics yesterday.