Cycling for Weight Loss? Top 10 Tips To Do it Right.

Want to lose weight by taking up a childhood activity, and making it your fitness activity! If yes, then this article will help in achieving your Fitness Goal.

Cycling for Weight Loss? Top 10 Tips To Do it Right.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Or any other article written on the subject.
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    edited September 2020
    The trick to losing weight is eating less and moving more, it's genuinely that simple, it just takes time and a little perseverance.
  • Don't feed the troll
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    edited September 2020
    emanresu said:

The trick to losing weight is eating less junk and moving more, it's genuinely that simple, it just takes time and a little perseverance.

Improved that for you. I think?
    Nothing wrong with eating, it just has to be healthy food which is unpalatable for some.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    If you eat 4000 calories a day of healthy food and sit on the sofa you'll still get fat.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775

If you eat 4000 calories a day of healthy food and sit on the sofa you'll still get fat.

But it as unhealthy as 4000 calories of junk.
    Nobody contemplating losing weight would be taking on 4000 calories unless they are just playing at it.
    Simple point is that most overweight people eat an unproportionate amount of junk. Simply cutting that out gives results.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

But it as unhealthy as 4000 calories of junk.
    Nobody contemplating losing weight would be taking on 4000 calories unless they are just playing at it.
    Simple point is that most overweight people eat an unproportionate amount of junk. Simply cutting that out gives results.
    Very true.
    Conversely, far too many people think that because they've ridden a long way or done an hour or so in the gym they can eat pretty much what they want. Most people considerably over estimate how many calories they have burnt through exercise.

Funnily enough though when I started out on my weight loss journey at 330lbs my BMR wasn't to far off 4000 calories a day, plus extra calories for the exercise I was doing. I cut down to a mere 3000 calories a day for the first month and shifted nearly 30lbs!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I did ketogenic. Works for me. In one 1 month down 15lbs. Food is good as I like fish. 90% dark chocolate in moderation as low in carbs and high in good fats. BMI (load of crap) in normal range, body fat, muscle mass, bone mass, lean body mass, body fat mass, bone fat mass % and muscle mass % all normal range. BMR down to 2382 kcal. Needs to kick down further to 1850 to be within normal. The downside is I doubt I would be able to do any long endurance rides without taking carbs on.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Cycling is good for weight loss as well as works for abs by riding cycle.
  • Cycling will make you more fit but it doesn't do much for weight loss. You might burn 400 calories in an hour and less you are working hard. You burn 100 calories an hour just sitting there. The 300 calorie difference is one donut.
  • swjohnsey said:

Cycling will make you more fit but it doesn't do much for weight loss. You might burn 400 calories in an hour and less you are working hard. You burn 100 calories an hour just sitting there. The 300 calorie difference is one donut.

Depends how hard you work... you probably don't work very hard. According to power meter data which are reasonably reliable, if you work on the assumption that we are all more or less 25% metabolically efficient, then I have done 1 hour at 900 Kcal and I have done 25 minutes at > 1000 KCal/hour in races. I've even gone through one Twix bar in 7 minutes in a Hill climb race.

Most of the more paced training rides are around 600 KCal/hour
    left the forum March 2023
  • I train on a mountain bike using a heart monitor. I also run and swim so I can compare. I have to average more than 15 mph to keep my heart rate above 130 bpm. Most folks I see cycling for exercise aren't burning more calories than walking.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    swjohnsey said:

I train on a mountain bike using a heart monitor. I also run and swim so I can compare. I have to average more than 15 mph to keep my heart rate above 130 bpm. Most folks I see cycling for exercise aren't burning more calories than walking.

My heart rate generally sits at 160-170 when riding, which probably says more about my fitness than anything else. i may not move fast but i'm definitely burning calories. I just have a weakness for snack foods that is my primary issue, taking too much in!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Tashman said:

My heart rate generally sits at 160-170 when riding, which probably says more about my fitness than anything else. i may not move fast but i'm definitely burning calories. I just have a weakness for snack foods that is my primary issue, taking too much in!

Snap!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Tashman said:

swjohnsey said:

I train on a mountain bike using a heart monitor. I also run and swim so I can compare. I have to average more than 15 mph to keep my heart rate above 130 bpm. Most folks I see cycling for exercise aren't burning more calories than walking.

Looking around, I think most of the country has this problem :D