2»

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Apparently so!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited August 2020
    Same for all jobs tbh. First 18 months of retiring is the most deadly periods of your life all other things being equal
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 454
    edited August 2020
    Hi DV,
    I work at a Uni where I am on the Teacher Training side of things having been a teacher, Deputy and Head across 27 years in Primary Schools.
    Just about to start work so briefly my advice would be,
    1. Step in to some schools this Autumn and get a feel for what schools are really like and step back and think is this really for me. This is most important. Try Primary and Secondary. Going in should be possible even with COVID situation.
    2. Really consider finishing the degree and then doing either a Post Grad or School Direct Route. These are intensive, but they will have the degree still.

Feel free to PM me if useful and I’d happily talk to them. Not trying to recruit - we are really over subscribed on our Post Grad Route this year! I work with Undergrads, Post Grads and School Direct too. Each Route has advantages/ disadvantages. Above all get into schools before making any decision!
    BW
    Molteni
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    As a tangent....

I'd say there is something to mine in why he chose philosophy, and why he's now interested in being a teacher. Often we are drawn to things that fit with our core "I'm at my best when I'm doing this" - but they can be based on a narrow understanding of whats possible. Sounds like he might be interested in understanding what makes people tick, and that he might feel he can help to influence that (positively).

As a for example, I've always had a desire to help people - sounds corny but it gives me a buzz. In the past I've tried to be a doctor (flunked my a levels, fortunately), a teacher (they would'nt have me) and a few other things in between. I can't say I was really happy until i understood I could inject that core passion into pretty much everything and everything. I've ended up as a Director in IT, the bit I love about this is helping people to do valued, rewarding work and getting paid for it. Turns out that that drive as a by product creates high performing successful organisations.

A couple of hours with a good coach rather than a careers advisor would be money well spent I think.
    Insert bike here:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Same for all jobs tbh. First 18 months of retiring is the most deadly periods of your life all other things being equal

I guess there’s a statistical anomaly in that being no longer fit for work may have influenced the retirement decision in the first instance.
    I.e. you retired through declining health as you were effectively on the final straight of life anyway.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Thanks for offers to discuss. If I don't take them up it's not because they aren't appreciated but because my nephew is not in a place where he is listening to advice he doesn't like.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

A few years ago I saw an advert on the platform at Bank. It said "70% of maths teacher have a first or 2.1" . Anyone want to guess who they were targeting? Grads with firsts who think teaching is below them or grads with thirds who didn't think they had a chance?

Think they picked the wrong tube station there.

If it paid 3x as much I'd definitely try to be a teacher.
    Get yourself the head of a academy and over a hundred grand in easy money is their for the takings. Short of fiddling the kidsor embezzling funds seems on par with a local council leader job security.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    john80 said:

A few years ago I saw an advert on the platform at Bank. It said "70% of maths teacher have a first or 2.1" . Anyone want to guess who they were targeting? Grads with firsts who think teaching is below them or grads with thirds who didn't think they had a chance?

Think they picked the wrong tube station there.

If it paid 3x as much I'd definitely try to be a teacher.
    Get yourself the head of a academy and over a hundred grand in easy money is their for the takings. Short of fiddling the kidsor embezzling funds seems on par with a local council leader job security.
    That's not teaching, it's managing a business.

I think I said it somewhere on here before but in many jobs you eventually get promoted to a stage where you become a generic manager and hardly do anything recognisable as the career you started off with. It's the reason many teachers don't look for promotion beyond head of subject or police offers don't go beyond sergeant or maybe Inspector. It would be the case in my job in a larger organisation too.