Cut tyre, yay, nay?

Found a large cut in my rear tyre, it seems to only affect the rubber, the casing underneath is intact. I have patched it inside with a Park tyre booth, no bulging... what do you think... safe to ride?

left the forum March 2023

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Use some super glue to join the edges maybe. I’d probably use it after that.
  • No worse than usual winter cuts. Keep an eye on it in case a piece of glass or flint goes in there?
    Someone needs to come up with a vulcanising patch for the outside of tyres...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    in the bin...life's short enough as it is...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

Dunno, the casing is completely intact, so the tyre shouldn't have lost any strength... morover, it's the rear... even if it was to deflate, it would be an inconvenience, rather than a real danger... I wouldn't use it as a front tyre.
  • I'd use it if superglue reduces size of open split.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    Superglue won't do anything, it will just form a hard plug which will come off quickly at best or pierce through the cotton casing at worst...

As above, a shame there is no soft material that can be applied and cured to fix those issues...
    Or maybe there is but I don't know how to find it.
    Once I had a Corsa tubular fixed and Peter Burgin plugged the cut with something like that... wish I knew what... sadly he died the day after fixing my tyre... :(
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I'd only ride that if it were glued to my rim.
  • ugo.santalucia
    oxoman said:

You can get a superglue just for rubber rather than just generic superglue that goes hard and used for mainly hard plastics.

I might look into that
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    This seems to do the trick. Doesn’t get hard like normal superglue anyway...

• That’s a Vittoria Corsa if I’m not mistaken. They are pretty much bomb proof. Glue it, it will be fine.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I've used Shoe Goo in the past to fill small cuts works quite well https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Shoe-Goo-CLEAR-110ml/dp/B000BQR55G
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • OT: superglue or cyanoacrylate to use the correct name would be fine for the short term/quick fix. However it is not waterproof, despite being activated by the moisture in the air. Constant exposure to water (ie rain) and the bonds will breakdown.

Rubber solution maybe a better alternative, though I really don’t anything about its chemistry. Shoe Goo might also work as schlepcycling says, but if your going to that sort of expense for a tiny repair you may as well bite the bullet and replace the tyre. If you do decide to glue it, just keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn’t grow

• ugo.santalucia
    I might get the Goo and use it to fix my walking boots too that are dying... that would justify the outlay
  • imposter2.0

Dunno, the casing is completely intact, so the tyre shouldn't have lost any strength... morover, it's the rear... even if it was to deflate, it would be an inconvenience, rather than a real danger... I wouldn't use it as a front tyre.
    Your call. The chances of picking up a puncture through that gap are obviously small, but you can see the shape is no longer uniform. Plus whatever glue you use is unlikely to hold for long anyway.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    I've used tyre repair patches on large cuts before. They are reinforced (so highly puncture resistant) and form a permanent bond using vulcanising cement (puncture glue).

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-45mm-Tyre-Puncture-Repair-Patches-Pack-Of-25/131940131597?hash=item1eb83ea30d:g:xn0AAOSwAuZX2tWM
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    if it was me that tyre would be going in the bin. That's a big cut, I would not risk it myself. I have used shoe goo and it never lasts very long before its worn way and the slit reopens.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701

Your call. The chances of picking up a puncture through that gap are obviously small, but you can see the shape is no longer uniform. Plus whatever glue you use is unlikely to hold for long anyway.
    Ignore (usually a reasonable default position).

I'd put a couple of strip of duct tape on the inside, shoe glue on the outside and forget about it. If I replaced every tyre that cut like that in the winter I'd spend more on my bike than my mortgage.
  • imposter2.0

I'd put a couple of strip of duct tape on the inside, shoe glue on the outside and forget about it. If I replaced every tyre that cut like that in the winter I'd spend more on my bike than my mortgage.
    Then of course, there are always scunthorpes like this, who would rather bodge it, than do a proper job.
  • First.Aspect

Then of course, there are always scunthorpes like this, who would rather bodge it, than do a proper job.
    You seem to be in a minority of 1.
  • joe2019

or 2
  • imposter2.0
    joe2019 said:

or 2
    Three including Dowtcha, above. As well as being a clueless bodger, it seems F-A is also numerically challenged. I didn't realise it was a poll though...
  • First.Aspect
    I remember now, this is a primary school playground. If you shout loudly you must be right.

Ugo, save your money. You are smart enough to assess the risks, which are low.
  • ugo.santalucia

I remember now, this is a primary school playground. If you shout loudly you must be right.

The main risk is being stranded if it punctures and ruptures at that point. I'll probably try it out on some short rides and see if I get to trust it... if not, I'll bin it... it's mostly peace of mind... if you don't trust it, that'll just spoil your time on the bike.

I've got a 10 TT at Mallory Park next Sunday... seems the perfect day for it... :D
  • First.Aspect

The main risk is being stranded if it punctures and ruptures at that point. I'll probably try it out on some short rides and see if I get to trust it... if not, I'll bin it... it's mostly peace of mind... if you don't trust it, that'll just spoil your time on the bike.

I've got a 10 TT at Mallory Park next Sunday... seems the perfect day for it... :D
    That's what those tubeless patches prevent. Oddly enough, duct tape, having fabric in it, has a fairly high tensile strength and achieves much the same thing when pressed against the tyre by 90 odd psi.

But if you've felt the carcass and it doesn't feel compromised, and bearing mind that the tread isn't significantly structural, then the cut itself isn't a safety issue, except.for the chance of another object penetrating that cut. Super glue chemically bonds, and although is brittle the surrounding rubber is resilient enough that the glue tends to hold. That's why people use it.
  • imposter2.0

Nobody is shouting, you chump. Ironically, you kicked it off by suggesting my advice to Ugo should be ignored, when I'd already told him it was 'his call'. You then compounded it by counting up the number of people who you thought didn't agree with me. You got that wrong as well.
  • First.Aspect

Nobody is shouting, you chump. Ironically, you kicked it off by suggesting my advice to Ugo should be ignored, when I'd already told him it was 'his call'. You then compounded it by counting up the number of people who you thought didn't agree with me. You got that wrong as well.
    You are making it too easy.
  • imposter2.0
    That comment doesn't seem to relate to any reply in particular. You seem to enjoy having your pants pulled down in front of everyone. Unfortunately, I'm busy tonight...
  • First.Aspect

That comment doesn't seem to relate to any reply in particular. You seem to enjoy having your pants pulled down in front of everyone. Unfortunately, I'm busy tonight...

Why do you keep replying then?
  • joe2019

Puncture can happen at any time to any tyre, with that cut and deformed tyre I'd be worried about a high speed, descending blow-out.
  • imposter2.0

Why do you keep replying then?

I still have a bit more time to make you look more like an idiot, but I'll need to run soon...