Tour de l’Ain and Critérium du Dauphiné 2020 *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95. said:

Where did Thomas go? He was in the front group, they went to an ad break, and when came back he was gone

Yes I thought I missed that whilst getting an ice cream. I think he was dropped but can’t confirm.
    He was
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    edited August 2020
    Mollema pulls a foot/pedal out in the sprint and Roglic finishes it off easy peasy.

Bernal second Conti third
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited August 2020
    Jumbo sticking it to ineos. Can’t wait for tomorrow now
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Stamp of authority from Jumbo Visma...

All the flip you'se to Ineos
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited August 2020
    Mollema would have won that as he's fast on this type of finish.
    Men of the match: Bennett and Castroviejo ( I was actually more impressed by the Spaniard)

Looked as if Dumoulin is following an Ineos type of tour preparation.
    The other Jumbos already seem sharp, perhaps too much so.

Quintana once again comes away with the Haimer Zubeldia award.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mollema would have won that as he's fast on this type of finish.
    Men of the match: Bennett and Castroviejo ( I was actually more impressed by the Spaniard)

Looked as if Dumoulin is following an Ineos type of tour preparation.
    The other Jumbos already seem sharp, perhaps too much so.

Quintana once again comes away with the Haimer Zubeldia award.

I did notice Quintana haha
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Thomas and Dumoulin lost almost 5 minutes. Froome, Porte and Dan Martin were more than 12 minutes down.
    Castroviejo surely confirmed his place on the Tour squad with that ride.
    Given his relative lack of form since his recent contratemps with a car, I was pleasantly surprised to see Quintana stay with the group of leaders. Hard to see what he could have done differently given the infernal (Sky-like) pace Jumbo were setting.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    The Samsic jersey and Ineos look the same from the helicopter shot.

Very annoying
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited August 2020
    DeadCalm said:

Thomas and Dumoulin lost almost 5 minutes. Froome, Porte and Dan Martin were more than 12 minutes down.
    Castroviejo surely confirmed his place on the Tour squad with that ride.
    Given his relative lack of form since his recent contratemps with a car, I was pleasantly surprised to see Quintana stay with the group of leaders. Hard to see what he could have done differently given the infernal (Sky-like) pace Jumbo were setting.

Castroviejo is nailed on given his ability to climb well too which is why Van Baarle will probably go too. More of a concern for Ineos is having mountain domestiques who can match Jumbo I’d say. Sivakov is therefore surely a shoe in too.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited August 2020
    There is a certain irony in the fact that Jumbo are going all in for the Tour, while the team that apparently doesn't give it's riders a chance are allowing Carapaz free rein to defend his Giro title.

Sivakov it is, then.

Also looking forward to seeing a different colour train, using the tried and tested tactic, this afternoon on the Grand Colombier.
    Or rather I am looking forward to how suddenly it becomes viewed as exciting, in certain circles.
  • There is a certain irony in the fact that Jumbo are going all in for the Tour, while the team that apparently doesn't give it's riders a chance are allowing Carapaz free rein to defend his Giro title.

Sivakov it is, then.

Also looking forward to seeing a different colour train, using the tried and tested tactic, this afternoon on the Grand Colombier.
    Or rather I am looking forward to how suddenly it becomes viewed as exciting, in certain circles.

Whose your pick for the stage today?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

There is a certain irony in the fact that Jumbo are going all in for the Tour, while the team that apparently doesn't give it's riders a chance are allowing Carapaz free rein to defend his Giro title.

Sivakov it is, then.

It was exciting because it was a different team but, you're right, it will get tired pretty quickly if Ineos domination simply becomes Jumbo domination. Hopefully, with Sivakov in there and if Thomas can ride himself into form, the teams will be more evenly matched come the Tour.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • There is a certain irony in the fact that Jumbo are going all in for the Tour, while the team that apparently doesn't give it's riders a chance are allowing Carapaz free rein to defend his Giro title.

Sivakov it is, then.

Whose your pick for the stage today?
    Depends how well Ineos cope with the JUMBO choo choo.
    Roglic or Bernal would be the most obvious suspects.
    Kruijswijk maybe?
  • Live now on the player with 35kms to go and Geraint Thomas leading the pack down the descent, so expect him to not to feature too much on the Grand Colombier.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Geraint drops off, job done
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Ineos burning up domestiqus but Jumbo still have their big 4.
    Bernal going to end up outnumbered again.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Amador gone now
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • The Froome train is hardly TGV fast, so it's status quo for now
  • Has that Froome stint done for Bernal? Didn't look happy sat at the back there and got caught the wrong side of the split.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited August 2020
    And with that Bernal gets himself sorted out. Ho hum.

He was taking a whole fistful of gels earlier in the climb though - lack of fuel?
  • 4 against 1
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Was hoping to see the start and get a glimpse of the Mapei factory in St Vulbas.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Now we get two trains for the price of one.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Jumbo looking super strong. Ineos looks in trouble for the Tour. Could be nothing though.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m. said:

Jumbo looking super strong. Ineos looks in trouble for the Tour. Could be nothing though.

Ineos lacking climbing firepower. Roglic looks in outrageous form
  • Roglic with ease but boy that was not pretty.
    Like watching paint dry.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Ineos are bluffing right..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Sharp attack by Bernal but couldn't sustain it and Roglic seemed to get inside his head as he eased past. Not sure Bernal was bluffing the couple of times he lost the wheel, he looked to be genuinely struggling for a large part of the climb.

So much for the 3 leadership contenders at Ineos. Castoviejo currently their second strongest rider.

Is anyone having issues with the Arkea top being too similar to Ineos? I was watching on my phone wondering why Declan was getting so excited that Bernal was losing the wheel when he seemed to being sitting comfortably in third and I assumed the rider drifting off the back was Castoviejo. It didn't help that both teams have 5 letter words in white on their black shorts. Took me quite a while to work out it was Quintana, seems odd him not being in blue.
  • ddraver said:

Ineos are bluffing right..?

Sub chipper, innit.
    Back here in 5 weeks, Covid permitting.....