Beirut Blast

2»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    Pross said:

The blast and deaths are bad enough but lebanons main port is destroyed. All the goods, medicines and food there is gone. The docks facilities are gone. Ships cant unload. New goods, food and drugs cant get into the country easily. Lebonon does not have much cross boarder trade over it lands boarders. Its exports go through the port. Without being able to import and export the people of lebonon are even more screwed then they were before. That will kill more than 100 people.

Lebanon is going to need alot of help. I have not heard britain and europe getting together and sending a team of military engineers and the equipment required to get the port open. Without that port you cant even get aid in. That port is the key to everything there. Its in our interest to help. Lebanon is failing state. We know what happened when Libya fell apart.

Its worse than censored .

Uk's offer which includes

The UK has also offered enhanced support to the Lebanese Armed Forces, who are central to the Government of Lebanon’s response, including tailored medical help, strategic air transport assistance, and engineering and communications support.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-send-emergency-relief-to-lebanon

Finally, Tripoli has a port too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Tripoli_(Lebanon)

And whilst I have been to Tripoli, I can't tell you anything about it.

If Lebanon ever returns to a peaceful times, a trip there is thoroughly recommended.
    That had me confused - I was thinking I'm sure Tripoli is in Libya, I hadn't realised there was another!

Lebanon, and Beirut in particular, is a strange place. Most of us will think of it as the war torn country of the 80s but it was the original Mediterranean party resort in the first half of the 20th century and was very cosmopolitan and liberal. It looked an incredible place to go if you had money before WWII.

It seemed to be returning to those ways, very different to most of the Arab world; different religions manage to co-exist, gay clubs are fairly commonplace and I believe cosmetic surgery is very popular out there but the country's economy was being hit and there were major issues with the running of the country even before this catastrophe.
    Cosmopolitan is really the right word for Beirut. Temples of Baalbek are noteworthy too. Plus journey to Tripoli through the mountains would be a good bike ride for some.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    capt_slog said:

... what a great example of the relevance of Frost diagrams in understanding chemical stability

Can you explain what that means please, Ugo? My chemistry education stopped at HNC a long while ago, and I don't recall having heard of Frost.
    If you draw a straight line between NH4+ and NO3-, it more or less passes through N2. What it means is that NH4NO3 has broadly the same stability of nitrogen gas. So that means that under certain conditions it might want to go to N2... if it does so, then you go from n-moles of a solid to n-moles of a gas and if that happens quickly, then you have what we call an explosion. The process will presumably also produce H2O, which will be a gas given the temperature rise, so double whammy
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    All makes total sense now :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Pross said:

All makes total sense now :D

Yeah, storing large quantities of the stuff is not safe. I am astonished at the amount they had stored (2,700 tons apparently).

The opposite reaction happens too, just very slowly. You have N2 gas in air, add moisture and you form NH4NO3, which then reacts with minerals (eg in wall bricks) by acid/base reaction to give NaNO3 and KNO3, which are typically found as white dust on such surfaces.
    left the forum March 2023
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Thank you!

The older I get, the better I was.

• shimanobottombracket
    edited August 2020

Every window blown in within a 15 mile radius. Unfortunately I think the death toll is going to rise a lot more than the 100 reported now.

The fact that the blast has been recorded from so many sources probably makes it more real.

People can talk some proper çrap! you can't have varying degrees of reality. Something is either real or it isn't.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534

Every window blown in within a 15 mile radius. Unfortunately I think the death toll is going to rise a lot more than the 100 reported now.

The fact that the blast has been recorded from so many sources probably makes it more real.

People can talk some proper çrap! you can't have varying degrees of reality. Something is either real or it isn't.
    Not that I would normally defend a Coopster post but it's obvious that what he means is that having footage showing the blast helps us understand the reality of it.

As I said above, most of us have only ever seen Hollywood explosions where a neat chain of pyrotechnics follows perilously close, but always just behind, the escaping hero. Seeing real footage that almost allowed you to see the pressure wave has street after street got hit help to understand the reality of the power of an explosion like that. I doubt there'll be anything to find of the people unfortunate to have been close to the explosion. Again, the way these things get portrayed on screen is you get dead bodies with a few cuts and burns or in the case of the more 'realistic' films it might show a limb or two missing whereas the reality is that even in relatively minor blasts all that is left is a few bits of flesh.
  • Pross said:

Not that I would normally defend a Coopster post but it's obvious that what he means is that having footage showing the blast helps us understand the reality of it.

As I said above, most of us have only ever seen Hollywood explosions where a neat chain of pyrotechnics follows perilously close, but always just behind, the escaping hero. Seeing real footage that almost allowed you to see the pressure wave has street after street got hit help to understand the reality of the power of an explosion like that. I doubt there'll be anything to find of the people unfortunate to have been close to the explosion. Again, the way these things get portrayed on screen is you get dead bodies with a few cuts and burns or in the case of the more 'realistic' films it might show a limb or two missing whereas the reality is that even in relatively minor blasts all that is left is a few bits of flesh.
    It's going to be hard to get the docks re-opened with no dock workers, that's for sure.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689

Erm have you seen what Coopster usually posts?