Voodoo bizango carbon rear wheel wobble

2»

Comments

• washers are very cheap in toolstation if you wanted to have a go.
    At least you would no what the problem is if it works?
  • danx
    danx Posts: 27
    As previously mentioned that looks like the wrong size wheel for that axle. Either that or misfitting has done something nasty to the frame/threads.

Don't mess around with it - take it back.
  • Yes judging from what has been said im going for that. Im not entirely sure it is the wheel though as the original wheel.that was om there was definitely the correct wheel for the bike as its a voodoo wheel and had a wobble(nit sure it was as drastic) so they replaced the wheel and still doing it.its definitely going back and thanks to all your help at least I can give them some advice. Im so reluctant to do anything as I have no knowledge and if somethimg is severely wrong like say for instance the thread frame has been damaged then me saying i tried to do washers or somethimg they can then say i caused damage and possibly void the warranty. At least this way anything that has been damaged or gone wrong its down to them. Also as said I've paid £240 for servicing as well so they should be doing it. Also bike is only 10 weeks old and i didnt have it for 2 weeks so going to let them deal with it
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Voodoo have wheels in 142 and 148, so it being a voodoo wheel is irrelevant.

I suspect someone has bottomed out the through axle trying to tighten it up and it needs a bit more force to undo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Take the bike back to Halfords and tell them you are rejecting it and would like a replacement bike.
    There is clearly a problem that they have failed to solve. I'd also be pretty pissed off that the replacement wheel they fitted is not original spec as well. There should be no need for mismatched wheels on a new bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • So what rookie is saying is that the width of the axle of the wheel on there could be 142mm wide but really it needs to be the 148mm version.
    So the difference of being 6mm too small is why the frame isn't gripping the axle of the wheel which is why you can squash the frame together.
  • JBA

So what rookie is saying is that the width of the axle of the wheel on there could be 142mm wide but really it needs to be the 148mm version.

No. The width of the hub should be 148mm. The axle will probably be between 160 and 175mm long.

@andrew_gayle83 If you can't move the thru axle there is a chance it has been cross threaded and can't be tightened enough. If that's the case then there may have been nothing wrong with the original or replacement wheel and the problem lies with the axle not being able to be done up tight enough. A new hanger and maybe thru axle should solve the problem if that's what it is.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thats what I meant, I didn't know if the op knew what the hub part was.
    I typed hub then changed.
  • But yeah after just looking at a thru axle its definitely an axle ha ha.
    So yes change axle to hub.
    My bad.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited August 2020
    JBA said:

No. The width of the hub should be 148mm. The axle will probably be between 160 and 175mm long.

Sort of, a 142mm through axle has an axle (in the hub, the cylinder) that is 142mm long (and 148mm for a 148 bike), the 'through axle' (which isn't actually an axle of course, its just a bigger diameter skewer) will be longer. The hub (the bit that rotates) is circa 130mm wide.
    We do manage to screw well established terminology up on bikes!

The bit to measure is the axle (the widest part in the middle) of the hub. That should be 148mm for this bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    Yes, what The Rookie says.
    I was rushing yesterday so my explanation was poor, sorry. :/

• Andygayle83
    Andygayle83 Posts: 36
    edited August 2020
    This has been resolved. Someone on here(i won't name him just incase he doesn't want to be) contacted me and pulled some strings at halfords and I got a call today to go there. Lucky enough its a different technician and he has the exact same bike and said straight
    away thats one of 2 things. Could be a frame issue or could be a hub as its an internal hub or something.he said dont worry I can fix both but one may require me to order a new frame and swap the components. He came back ten minutes later and said its really bad news the bikes a write off. Whoever tightened the boost axle has done it with so much force ive snapped two tools trying to get it out so the wheel is stuck in the frame permanently. He said whoever done it hasnt torqued it right(these may be wrong terms) and I dont want to do the guy a disservice as he was brilliant. He said we are not gonna be able to get u another one as they are like goldust. A full carbon with the spec it has for 1k is rare. He said obviously its not a top end trail bike but it really is value for money. So as its on cycle to work thats the next problem. Basically as ive already paid 3 installments I said it would be easier for me to just carry on paying and get a bike when I can as going through my hr and then the tax office for a reimbursement then reissue a new scheme could take 6 months and as I'm a 40% tax payer im only paying 650 for 1000 bike so they are looking for bikes for me but the only real other option for 1k is the boardman mht 8.9 which doesn't look that great as ive seen one in the shop but there is an mtr 8.8 which is 1250 but the shop said they will swallow the 250 as goodwill gesture but in all honesty probably not gonna get a new bike until October but it has been sorted. So thanks for everyone's help and although we arent actually going to find out the problem it has been sorted
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    edited August 2020
    good news :smile:
    Insert bike here:
  • What about getting the alloy Bizango that was available yesterday online for £675 and then use the remaining £325 (maybe with a top up if Halfords will allow) to get other cycling equipment from them?

I don't know the details, but I thought permissible items to buy under the C2W expanded recently.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • yes you can do that but I already got accessories as I also get a 10% discount in accessories through the work scheme and then on top of that I get a 10% discount through a work gift card scheme so I'd literlaly be buying stuff for the sake of it.