From Siena to Il Lombardia: 4 Italian race *Spoilers*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    DAMN YOU CORNISH 4G!!! ALL THE WAY TO HADES!!!

Great work again by WvA. Not sure what Matt was going on about with his sprinting but whevs.

Nice finish that, one of the tenser ones.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

Alaphilippe's puncture might have lost him that, had to work hard to get back on. Cracking finish from WvA.

That plus his descending that meant he was scrubbing speed on every corner then having to accelerate again.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Does anyone know what happened to Matthew’s hand?

His bike and kit was covered in blood spats.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

Apparently he fell on the poggio and still won the bunch sprint for 3rd
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash said:

Apparently he fell on the poggio and still won the bunch sprint for 3rd
    What a hitter holy moly.

I mean, the sprint was skew wiff and Groenewegen style but Sagan didn’t care as it was for third so he backed out - but that aside - holy moly.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Clown of the day from the British media.

He'd watched the 2019 replay. 'Team Sky' might have tipped him off, but no.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    RichN95. said:

Clown of the day from the British media.

He'd watched the 2019 replay. 'Team Sky' might have tipped him off, but no.

I wouldn't mind but he gets paid
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    My crappy internet cut out the epic shot if Sam Bennet chasing on The Poggio which was one of those great "This is cycling" shots...
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    ddraver said:

My crappy internet cut out the epic shot if Sam Bennet chasing on The Poggio which was one of those great "This is cycling" shots...

That was my 'my PTP is done for' moment 😊

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Am I imagining or does Daniel Oss always do the same solo attack every year?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    dish_dash said:

Am I imagining or does Daniel Oss always do the same solo attack every race?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I think it's a favour to Carlton, as he's one of the few riders he can quickly identify. See also, Simon Clarke
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash said:

Am I imagining or does Daniel Oss always do the same solo attack every year?

Stops Bora having to chase when they don't have many people left in the finale.
  • Title updated.

Tour of Lombardy 2020

The 114th edition of the Tour of Lombardy is held this Saturday. The race amounts to 231 kilometres and includes roughly 4,000 metres of climbing. The race goes from Bergamo to Como, while the punchy combo Civiglio/San Fermo della Battaglia marks the finale.

The race begins with a big loop and after roughly 55 kilometres the Colle Gallo is crested. Then the route once again moves through Bergamo, this time to head northwest on virtually flat terrain.

Following some 10 kilometres along the lake the race reaches Bellagio at the foot of the Madonna del Ghisallo. The iconic climb is 8.6 kilometres long and the average gradient sits at 6.2%. Yet, most of the climb slopes at 9% or more, while the steepest ramp (14%) appears just after leaving Bellagio.

The climb to Sormano (5.1 kilometres at 6.6%) is a gentle warm-up for the Muro di Sormano, which is arguably one of the most ferocious climbs around. The narrow road serves sections up to 27%! The Muro is 1.9 kilometres long and the average gradient sits at 15.8%.

Following a technical drop to Nesso, the riders turn left and – once again – race along the shores of the Lake Como. Just before entering the town with the same name another lefthander leads back into the hills for the last 20 kilometres.

First, the Civiglio. This is a 4.2 kilometres climb at 9.8% with steepest ramps at 14%.

Straight after the drop it goes back up again to the village San Fermo della Battaglia. This is a 2.7 kilometres climb at 7.2% that tops out at 10% just before the crest. The race concludes with a 5.3 kilometres descent into Como.

Last year, the Tour of Lombardy was played out on virtually the same roads.

Favourites Tour of Lombardy 2020

***** Remco Evenepoel
    **** Vincenzo Nibali, Jakob Fuglsang, Bauke Mollema, Michael Woods
    *** Alberto Bettiol, George Bennett, Aleksandr Vlasov
    ** Maximilian Schachmann, Giulio Ciccone, Richard Carapaz
    * Iván Sosa, Mikel Nieve, Fabio Aru, Valerio Conti, Ion Izagirre

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Do we have to keep things in perspective that Remco is the only 5 star fav because he’s riding against a dreary bunch of also rans, or are we allowed to be excited yet and salivate at this year’s race!?
  • RichN95.

Do we have to keep things in perspective that Remco is the only 5 star fav because he’s riding against a dreary bunch of also rans, or are we allowed to be excited yet and salivate at this year’s race!?

It's certainly a poor Lombardia startlist. But other teams will be wise to RE and engaged. No more apathy when he does a long range attack
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Is the parcours too hard for MvdP? Isn't it similar climbing numbers to Amstel Gold? Or is his form just not there. He did get third, in Piedmonte. The hype has truly died down. :o
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Too hilly for him; I saw a stat that stated he's 77kg v Remco 60kg - now he can often do the impossible, but he can't shed 10+kg into thin air. And anyway, the form isn't quite there - he thrives on lots of racing, whether it's on the CX, MTB or road bike.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • BOTD: Vakoc, Gabburo, Rosskopf, Piccoli, Stork, Riabushenko, Pasqualon, Frapporti, Nekrasov, Morin, Savini
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Looks like a really bad crash for Evenepoel. He literally seems to gone off a bridge
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Fuck. That looked bad.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Just seen it, it looked awful. Hoping that he's not badly hurt.
  • mididoctors
    Omg ...be ok reme
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    That was Insane
  • ddraver
    Oh nee nee nee nee... :(
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    edited August 2020
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Looked quite a drop, hope he is ok :/
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Was not pleasant to watch.
  • mididoctors
    Sounds hopeful