Wheel/tyre upgrade for weight/rolling

2»

Comments

• danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    edited June 2020
    Rode the new tyres tonight. The grip in the corners was very good, on rails compared to my previous tyres and really bite when leaning the bike over, and for off camber sections. Very pleased with this aspect.

On the flats and hardpack sections, I think the bike was rolling faster.

But i didn't notice any difference on the technical climbs, and on some steep gravelly sections I think there was a bit less grip than before. Obviously the weight of the overall bike hasn't really changed so I think that shedding weight is really the only way I'll see climbing improvements.

No issues with the tubeless either, should have done that before, how easy it was. Always thought it was a messy faff but its not.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Something you can do to improve grip and climbing ability further and maybe rolling resistance too (depending upon where you ride) is to experiment with tyre pressure.

High pressure reduces rolling resistance on smooth surfaces, but on rough surfaces it increases rolling resistance!! Think of a skateboard; nice and fast on smooth concrete, not so good on rough tarmac, dreadful on gravel.

A hard tyre bounces off rocks and roots, impeding your progress. A softer tyre conforms somewhat and allows the wheel to roll over the rock/root without impeding progress. Your ride will be more comfortable too.

Once again you have to make a compromise here. Do you want to go fast on smoother surfaces, or do you want to be able to smoothly clean the climbs and ride smoothly around gnarly corners?

This will help. Read the words and watch the video. It is from Pink Bike's Tech Tuesday series. It is 9 years old and before Plus tyres were a thing, but the concepts and thought processes are as valid now as they were then.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-tire-pressure-2011.html
  • danlightbulb
    I think im just hitting a limit on certain climbs on the trail. Ive looked back through my strava segments for some climbs on my regular trail and im not beating my best times from 5 or so years ago, but i was on a 2kg lighter hardtail then. Im riding twice a week which is the max time I can give to it really.
  • steve_sordy
    edited June 2020
    I can clearly remember riding with a friend who was known as the "mountain goat" because it seemed that he could climb anything. I was trying to follow him up a steep pebble covered hill and I just could not get going past my initial momentum for rear wheel spin out. I tried all the usual tricks without success. He rode back down and showed me again, frustrating.
    Then he asked me what pressure I had in my 26 x 2.35" tubeless Maxxis Ignitors. I said 24F and 26R. He told me to drop the pressure to 20 and 22. I went up that hill at the next attempt! I later increased the pressure because I felt it was a bit low for those tyres, to 22/24. Much later with 27.5 x 2.2 Conti TK's I went back to 22/24. The footprint is a bit wider and longer on the bigger tyre, so a lower pressure was in order.

PS: Ref your comment about not being able to beat your times from 5 years ago. I had to laugh! :D Five years ago, I felt like superman. I was riding in groups with guys 20 years (and more) younger than me and I was seldom behind mid-pack. Then what I later discovered to be arthritis in my knees started. I was never to be that fit or fast again. :(
  • danlightbulb
    edited June 2020
    I run c.24 rear and c.21 front. Tend to drop them a little in the wet. Its always been about right for me. I notice if any harder as it makes the ride harsh, and any softer I can feel the squirm. A few years ago at Llandegla I dropped the pressures to see what happened and got punctures in both wheels on the rocky section at the top. So i wouldn't go too much lower than about 18-20 psi.

My two friends I ride with (when not on my own), both faster than me on the climbs. My one friend has a very similar bike to mine and was always faster on the downs, I can almost keep up with him now. He's way quicker on the climbs. Im 10 years older though and he runs or cycles almost every day.

My second friend who is same age as me also runs regularly, he has an XC 29" hardtail with pretty worn out tyres and rides clipped in. He's way faster than me on the climbs too but not on the downs.

Ive tried pushing myself on the climbs, riding out the saddle too, my legs give up after only a few seconds so I revert to largest cog, weight the back wheel and spin it out.
  • ToneC
    ToneC Posts: 33
    edited June 2020

Sorry for running commentary lol.

On a test inflation after adding gorilla tape, front tyre just inflated immediately tubeless, no sealant at all added yet. Bodes well.

Don't apologise , you have started the exact same thread I was about to regards tyres on the exact same bike and wheels...slightly scary...i am also looking at Maxxis tyres as they are going cheap currently on several places...I have the original tyres still on the Boardman but wanted to swap out..

I did think about TKs in BCC as I run one on my HT front ( that is SS's fault - his recommendation from the old MBR forum) but couldn't find any at a decent price or not out of stock plus sometimes you just want to try something different. My son's Mantra has Maxxis on it F and R and he seems to think they're OK..
  • danlightbulb
    Yeah they are a decent price at the moment. I really like the DHF front tyre, very capable. I think the SS will be fine for the summer, and later on in the year I'll switch it to something with more tread.

Obviously I was hoping for some drag reduction with the SS which i didn't really get. So I probably wouldn't bother with the SS, knowing what I know now. Id probably go straight in for the DHR.

Gonna ride them again today so will see how they go as we've had a little rain overnight.
  • steve_sordy
    ToneC said:

............I did think about TKs in BCC as I run one on my HT front ( that is SS's fault - his recommendation from the old MBR forum) ..

Isn't it nice to know that I give consistent advice though? :)
  • danlightbulb
    Went out in the pouring rain yesterday and am massively surprised at the rear Minion SS - I was expecting it to be slipping and sliding all over the place but it didn't do anything of the sort. Was incredibly sure footed and grippy given the tread pattern.

• ToneC
    ToneC Posts: 33
    Any more observations?
  • danlightbulb
    ToneC said:

Any more observations?

Not really. Good tyres, Im really impressed by them. When it gets wetter I'll swap the rear for a more knobbly Maxxis but the SS is a great tyre for summer use.