Because of Covid-19 I had to put my bicycle in the Balcony with a trainer.

Because of Covid-19 and my Gym is Closed I had to put my bicycle in the Balcony with a trainer ( that I just bought ) is very quiet so this issue had nothing to do with noise. Next Day concierge asked me to please move my bicycle to the Bike Storage area of the bulding, I explained him that it was on a Trainer that I'm using to do exercise during Covid-19. It never respond back so I assumed all was settled. Until this morning (3 weeks later) that I saw him and he told me again that because Covid-19 lockdown is been relaxed I should removed the bike from the balcony. I didn't respond anything.

I read all the "lease agreement" of the building and there is not mention of this or anything similar (The only thing is not to hang clothes in the Balcony Area)

Can They really do anything about this to force me to removed the bike from my balcony?

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ***This is not legal/leasehold advice***

I would ignore the concierge.

In the event of written request or instruction from the freeholder, I would ask them to demonstrate that you're in breach of the lease agreement.

***This is not legal/leasehold advice***
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What do other people have on their balcony ?

Can't you put a cover over the bike ?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Are you in the US or Canada, and is this a potential "Strata Nazi" issue?

For the uninitiated, some buildings can effectively impose their own entirely enforceable by-laws. Including, believe it or not, banning children. Even if you own the place. A friend of mine was effectively compelled to sell because he had a child, under threat of being fined and ultimately sued by his neighbours.

Regardless of whether such a by-law is actually contrary to such pifferies as international human rights law, or the US constitution, people have little recourse without bankrupting themselves.

In Canada, for example, the next step up from your building Strata Council is the provincial supreme court.
  • I suggest you ride your bike on the road, get out and about, get some exercise and perhaps fresh air and, more importantly, some different scenery.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Have you tried telling the concierge that it's now an exercise bike and it cannot be unbolted?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

Because of Covid-19 and my Gym is Closed I had to put my bicycle in the Balcony with a trainer ( that I just bought ) is very quiet so this issue had nothing to do with noise. Next Day concierge asked me to please move my bicycle to the Bike Storage area of the bulding, I explained him that it was on a Trainer that I'm using to do exercise during Covid-19. It never respond back so I assumed all was settled. Until this morning (3 weeks later) that I saw him and he told me again that because Covid-19 lockdown is been relaxed I should removed the bike from the balcony. I didn't respond anything.

I read all the "lease agreement" of the building and there is not mention of this or anything similar (The only thing is not to hang clothes in the Balcony Area)

Can They really do anything about this to force me to removed the bike from my balcony?

Why has covid MADE you put your bike on the balcony? I don't follow.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    edited November 2020
    dennisn said:

Why has covid MADE you put your bike on the balcony? I don't follow.
    Some places had real lockdowns where they were not allowed outside their house.
    Gives a bit of perspective to restriction moaners.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.