Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

What 650b wheels for my trek crockett?

mpattsmpatts Posts: 889
edited 27 May in Road buying advice
Looking for some ideas, for my (singlespeed*) crockett - for some more off roady type adventures, to take something like 42's.

Mason Hunts?

Oh and budget - no point in getting something rubbish, £100 would cause 13 secs of thinking before buying, £400 6 months of procrastination.

*it's running hub spacers and the like on normal wheels
Insert bike here:

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,504
    Handbuilts possibly, get what you want 1st time rather than almost what you want. Loads of wheelbuilders out there. Cycleclinic and wheelsmith are 2 highly recommended
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • mpattsmpatts Posts: 889
    as an update....

bought some WTB's s/h as a test to see if they fit and they work on the crocket. Love them.
    Insert bike here:
  • singletonsingleton Posts: 1,569
    I've got some fulcrum rapid red 650b on mine with WTB 47mm tyres - big difference to the 35mm 700c that were on before.
  • mpattsmpatts Posts: 889
    singleton said:

I've got some fulcrum rapid red 650b on mine with WTB 47mm tyres - big difference to the 35mm 700c that were on before.

Do 47's actually fit OK?
    Insert bike here:
  • singletonsingleton Posts: 1,569
    edited 1 July
    For clarity - when I said "mine" I meant my bike, not my Crocket - apologies for any confusion.
    Yes they fit fine on the wheels. There are a few charts available to check wheel to tyre compatibility, but this one from WTB https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart# recommends that a 47mm tyre be fixed to a wheel of 19mm or more internal width. The rapid red wheels are 23mm internal width.