What 650b wheels for my trek crockett?

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited May 2020 in Road buying advice
Looking for some ideas, for my (singlespeed*) crockett - for some more off roady type adventures, to take something like 42's.

Mason Hunts?

Oh and budget - no point in getting something rubbish, £100 would cause 13 secs of thinking before buying, £400 6 months of procrastination.

*it's running hub spacers and the like on normal wheels
Insert bike here:

Comments

• mpatts
    as an update....

bought some WTB's s/h as a test to see if they fit and they work on the crocket. Love them.
    Insert bike here:
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I've got some fulcrum rapid red 650b on mine with WTB 47mm tyres - big difference to the 35mm 700c that were on before.
  • mpatts
    singleton said:

I've got some fulcrum rapid red 650b on mine with WTB 47mm tyres - big difference to the 35mm 700c that were on before.

Do 47's actually fit OK?
    Insert bike here:
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    edited July 2020
    For clarity - when I said "mine" I meant my bike, not my Crocket - apologies for any confusion.
    Yes they fit fine on the wheels. There are a few charts available to check wheel to tyre compatibility, but this one from WTB https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart# recommends that a 47mm tyre be fixed to a wheel of 19mm or more internal width. The rapid red wheels are 23mm internal width.
  • rodigan
    rodigan Posts: 5
    mpatts can you post some pics? I've got a Crockett too!
  • mpatts

Here you go. Lovely eh!
    Insert bike here:
  • rodigan
    rodigan Posts: 5
    mpatts said:

Here you go. Lovely eh!

Absolute beaut! What size tyres did you go for in the end, 42s?
  • mpatts
    rodigan said:

mpatts said:

Here you go. Lovely eh!

Absolute beaut! What size tyres did you go for in the end, 42s?
    Yes, there is a load of clearance though, i suspect enough for 47's
    Insert bike here:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    I was looking at the Crockett last year, and wondered about 650b wheels. Trek don't mention them on their website (and still don't). Fortunately, a few people on Instagram were using 650b wheels, so they obviously fitted. I quite like the look of the Rapid Reds.

One would like to know why Trek aren't pushing the 650b compatability; they have the Checkpoint, Boone, Crockett and even the Domane - yet none officially work with 650b wheels (even though they do) . Maybe if/when they bring out a dedicated 650b wheel they will......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • mpatts
    andyrac said:

I was looking at the Crockett last year, and wondered about 650b wheels. Trek don't mention them on their website (and still don't). Fortunately, a few people on Instagram were using 650b wheels, so they obviously fitted. I quite like the look of the Rapid Reds.

One would like to know why Trek aren't pushing the 650b compatability; they have the Checkpoint, Boone, Crockett and even the Domane - yet none officially work with 650b wheels (even though they do) . Maybe if/when they bring out a dedicated 650b wheel they will......

650's do definitely not fit on the boone, but do on the Checkpoint/Crockett, not sure about the Domane. I've always been a bit unclear why they don't push it, there must be a reason (I can't believe they haven't tested it)
    Insert bike here:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    That's interesting, as I thought the Boone & Crockett were virtually identical, apart from their frame material. But, thinking about it, the Boone is the racing bike, mainly for UCI sanctioned CX races were 33mm tyres are the maximum, so massive clearance isn't needed.

I'm pretty sure new 2021 models will be dropping soon, as the complete Crockett has gone from the webpage; only the frameset is available.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • mpatts
    andyrac said:

That's interesting, as I thought the Boone & Crockett were virtually identical, apart from their frame material. But, thinking about it, the Boone is the racing bike, mainly for UCI sanctioned CX races were 33mm tyres are the maximum, so massive clearance isn't needed.

I'm pretty sure new 2021 models will be dropping soon, as the complete Crockett has gone from the webpage; only the frameset is available.

The clearances on the boone chainstays are fag paper with 33's, they actually ship it with 32's (I've always been unclear why).
    Insert bike here: