Forum home Road cycling forum Vintage bikes forum

Dawes Galaxy...

Hi all, I’m relatively new to bikes, I wanted something cheap and reliably, to that end I picked up an old Dawes Galaxy today for £80...
Im quite happy with it, usual knocks and scrapes but well looked after for its years..
I need a little advice on maintenance!!
I find the brakes a bit iffy...is there a place I can look for info on how to set them up?

Help with identifying the year would be really helpful...I expect to get some good use out of it.

Ray

• RayleesonRayleeson Posts: 12
    Ju
    st another full view of the bike

Ray

Can someone tell me what type of brake lever this is??
    What are they called??

Ray
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,727
    Various names for the brake levers including crosstop or suicide brakes. Dawes galaxy is one of the go to audax or touring bike favourites. A lot of people upgrade them as things get worn out. Centre pull brakes are easy enough to adjust, if not sure YouTube and parktools are your friends. Suspect it's early 80,s model. Couldn't quite make.out if 5 or 6 speed cassette on the back. Probably worth checking rim thickness and possibly fit new brake blocks, various different block compounds to suit.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
    If it was me id remove the rear rack, but keep it for later. If the bike has been stored for a while rather than ridden it might be worth checking innertubes and tyres for perishing. Noticed the bike was supplied by a well known legend. https://www.rourkecycles.co.uk/
    Hi guys many thanks for replying,
    Mmm suicide brakes....yup that’s a good description..
    Yes I’ve adjusted the centre pull brakes, easy job as you say
    6 Speed cassette....good enough for my old legs, don’t need to go faster...
    The brake blocks I need to renew...however I don’t understand what rim thickness is or how to check it...

Haha...I beat you to it...rear rack is in the attic now...half a kilo that thing, I don’t need it and brake access was easier too, yes I agree the tyres and tubes do need checking...a job for a sunny day....any recommendations on tyres would be appreciated...I’m not a real biker so it’s not my skill..

How did you notice who supplied it...I’ve not looked but thanks for wising me up..

Ray
  • focuszing723focuszing723 Posts: 2,556
    I notice there is label towards the top of the seat tube, is it Reynolds Tubing...501,531?
    Supplier name above the downtube shifters. Most wheels have a wear indicator, modern wheels do. Normally a groove or dimple that wears down as the rim gets thinner. TBH I'm guessing older rims where probably over engineered so should last a long time. Your bearings will all be cup and cone so easily serviced and probably worth checking. The Audax and touring forums will probably be able to help you with an exact date off the serial number.
    Thanks again guys, great help here...yes Reynolds 531...throughout..

seen the label with the suppliers name....cool...good spot :) I’ll look on those forums..info is always welcome to novices like me...but at seventy...I’m an old novice!!

Ray
  • Retro bike forum is a good place to start. They will know. They always do.
  • focuszing723focuszing723 Posts: 2,556
    Rayleeson said:

Thanks again guys, great help here...yes Reynolds 531...throughout..

seen the label with the suppliers name....cool...good spot :) I’ll look on those forums..info is always welcome to novices like me...but at seventy...I’m an old novice!!

Ray

Brilliant. That's a great buy then, well worth looking after and a good bike frame.

That carbon sh1te melts in the sun I tell thee:)