Dawes Galaxy...

Hi all, I’m relatively new to bikes, I wanted something cheap and reliably, to that end I picked up an old Dawes Galaxy today for £80...
Im quite happy with it, usual knocks and scrapes but well looked after for its years..
I need a little advice on maintenance!!
I find the brakes a bit iffy...is there a place I can look for info on how to set them up?

Help with identifying the year would be really helpful...I expect to get some good use out of it.

Ray

Comments

• Rayleeson
    Rayleeson Posts: 12
    Ju
    st another full view of the bike

Ray
  • Rayleeson

Can someone tell me what type of brake lever this is??
    What are they called??

Ray
  • Rayleeson
    Hi guys many thanks for replying,
    Mmm suicide brakes....yup that’s a good description..
    Yes I’ve adjusted the centre pull brakes, easy job as you say
    6 Speed cassette....good enough for my old legs, don’t need to go faster...
    The brake blocks I need to renew...however I don’t understand what rim thickness is or how to check it...

Haha...I beat you to it...rear rack is in the attic now...half a kilo that thing, I don’t need it and brake access was easier too, yes I agree the tyres and tubes do need checking...a job for a sunny day....any recommendations on tyres would be appreciated...I’m not a real biker so it’s not my skill..

How did you notice who supplied it...I’ve not looked but thanks for wising me up..

Ray
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    I notice there is label towards the top of the seat tube, is it Reynolds Tubing...501,531?
  • Rayleeson
    Thanks again guys, great help here...yes Reynolds 531...throughout..

seen the label with the suppliers name....cool...good spot :) I’ll look on those forums..info is always welcome to novices like me...but at seventy...I’m an old novice!!

Ray
  • Retro bike forum is a good place to start. They will know. They always do.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Rayleeson said:

Thanks again guys, great help here...yes Reynolds 531...throughout..

seen the label with the suppliers name....cool...good spot :) I’ll look on those forums..info is always welcome to novices like me...but at seventy...I’m an old novice!!

Ray

Brilliant. That's a great buy then, well worth looking after and a good bike frame.

That carbon sh1te melts in the sun I tell thee:)