Help Please Repeated Rear Gear Cable Failure

hdow
hdow Posts: 184
Hi, Hope someone can help

I've got Ultegra hydraulic disc R8000 STI shifters which are now 20 months old. There have been three rear cable fails inside the hoods during this time. The cable stands seem to have frayed then snapped. Each failure is around 15mm from the end barrel

Any advice gladly received. Is it me who has replaced two? Is it the bike shop who replaced one? is it the STI?

Cheers

Harry

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    3 is a lot - I normally see this once every year or two, or about 5-10k miles - but this is a normal failure for Shimano STIs, usually preceded by some degree of de-indexing and slow shifting.
  • hdow
    Thanks First.Aspect for your response. I've noticed the de-indexing and slow shifting but sometimes this is only a few minutes before failure. Have now scheduled regular cable checks and take a spare with me

Cheers
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Given this is a known issue on 6800 it's disappointing they haven't remedied it on 8000.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Sounds very similar to the thread about BR505 hydraulic shifters, like I have on my Cube https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13089841/rs505-cable-guides-a-cautionary-tale
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • hdow
    Thanks N0bodyOfTheGoat, have had a look at the link. The cable guide in the right shifter is missing so I've ordered a replacement (plus some spares). The left cable guide is present and correct. Maybe it was never there or got missed when the first replacement was done in shop. Doesn't matter which as long as it gets sorted

Thanks to everyone for taking time to respond and for (hopefully) resolving the issue

Cheers, Harry