New Bike Help!

Hi everyone,

I am a fairly new cyclist. I am 29 and used to run daily but after an ACL operation I thought it best to mix things up and hopefully keep my knees working for a bit longer.

I had a Boardman hybrid for a year or so and upgraded last week to a Cannondale Optimo 105 having had a ride on my friend's Synapse.

Yesterday, the headset of the bike was making a clicking noise whenever I was out of the saddle (and over bumps), so I took the topcap, handlebar, spacers etc off to see if I could fix the issue. Anyway what a nightmare! The YouTube videos I watched on how to do this didn't look anything like my bike (I later found out it had an expander) so I couldn't put it back together. At one point I had the fork dropped out of the bike.

I popped it in the car and the LBS kindly tightened it back up for me. My question though is whether taking it all apart without regreasing things is likely to cause any issues?

Would it be quite noticeable if the bearings weren't back in place properly, or if something wasn't back on correctly?

Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    If the LBS put it back together again it'll be alright. It's not in their best interest to send a potential new customer out on a poorly maintained bike.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    With your front brake on push the bike backwards and forwards. Can you feel any movement in the headset? With the front wheel off the ground move the steering side to side . Does it feel smooth?
    If answers are "no" and "yes" I think you OK to go .
  • Swilkins91
    Swilkins91 Posts: 9
    Thanks for replying both! I took it back as the original noise (a clicking sound) got much worse after they put it back together. They took it apart again and have said it is potentially a weakness or defect with the fork or steerer so they've given me the choice of another CAAD optimo 105 or a different bike for circa 1000.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    I can't really give any advice on here than I gave on the other thread where you ask about what bike you should get:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13111431/caad-optimo-105-or-allez-elite-105#latest
    I've had various cannondales and never had trouble with the fork/steerer.