Social Distancing is getting forgotten

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,861
    fenix said:

pblakeney said:

I'd do some personal research into the effectiveness of masks and buffs first.
    The Buff company specifically state that they are useless on their webpage.

That's interesting. Just had a look and it does say they aren't intended for that purpose - but for shopping I'm not going to use a medical mask that even NHS staff are struggling to get. Their need is clearly far greater than shoppers.
    I can't remember where it was, but there was a post giving a link to the effectiveness of materials as a mask. Bottom line is you need a material of at least 600 tpi to be of any benefit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    pblakeney said:

fenix said:

pblakeney said:

That's interesting. Just had a look and it does say they aren't intended for that purpose - but for shopping I'm not going to use a medical mask that even NHS staff are struggling to get. Their need is clearly far greater than shoppers.
    I can't remember where it was, but there was a post giving a link to the effectiveness of materials as a mask. Bottom line is you need a material of at least 600 tpi to be of any benefit.
    So a decent quality tyre might work?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,861
    edited May 2020
    Not at 320 tpi. :D

Edit - There was a more technical article but this seems to be in line with it.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/the-best-material-for-a-homemade-face-mask#Making-your-own-mask-at-home
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    mrfpb said:

pblakeney said:

fenix said:

pblakeney said:

So a decent quality tyre might work?
    Yeah, I'd use some tubular cement as well to ensure that it stays in place.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,008
    pblakeney said:

fenix said:

pblakeney said:

Diff types of medical mask too though. ‘Ordinary’ masks are to protect others, not yourself. Even basic home made fabric helps reduce spread, but not the wearer.

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This is interesting. Basic cotton masks reduce virus load by 95%.

https://www.fast.ai/2020/04/20/skeptics-masks/#doesnt-a-mask-need-to-be-100-effective-to-be-useful
  • fenix
    So I could ride with my mate - 6 feet off his back wheel and be legal but probably slap bang in the slipstream of his breath.

And I could do that multiple times a day so long as it's a different person I ride with each time ?

Yeah. Maybe not.
  • Mr.Beanz
    Mr.Beanz Posts: 2
    If I ride the local bike trail, I see hundreds without masks. Walkers, joggers, old people, families with young kids. Seems 2 out of every 100 I see have masks.

I wear mine to keep my 81 year old mother safe seeing she lives with us.

• fenix
    There's little risk outside. I'd not wear a mask outside but it's very easy to keep distance from people round here.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I have been torn throughout this pandemic to date.

I am still working so need to be fit and healthy so the majority of my riding has been on a turbo.

Despite it being legal I have scoffed at some of the rides I have seen on Strava which have a moral flag in my mind.

BR seems to be relatively balanced whereas some other websites have been keen to promote the attitude that "we are allowed to find and there is nothing official about it being an hour so I will ride 100km".

Each to their own of course. But the actions of some are being felt by others.
  • dangardner27
    dangardner27 Posts: 118
    On Sunday I saw 2 separate groups of 4 riders cycling together and clearly had no regard for their own safety or for that of others. I let one group past me as I didn't want them anywhere near me. I pulled over and they didn't make any attempt to move across the road even though I was stopped by the side of the very quiet road I was on. I find it mystifying why they think it's OK?