riding (training) with HR

razorjack
razorjack Posts: 97
Hey, i want to ride a bit more on a road bike with my HR monitor, maybe do some trainings,
and i'm curious how to set HR zones and even mHR. Some time ago i read that on a road bike HR max can be 10% lower than other sports.

My max is 204 (measured on a road bike on a trainer) and once i reach 202bpm during a run, and about 198 during mtb descent.
it's strange because on a road bike (outside), even on a 15mins climb, everything is very different than on a trainer. On a trainer i can keep >80% for more than 1h, with a sprint to 100%,
however outside, it's hard to keep that 80%, as my legs suffer more. I can see also that my cadence is much lower (probably because of the climb and my mtb background), thus, keeping 80% for 20 mins is really hard as my legs burn. and then i can do short sprints (or hard climbs) up to 90%mHR (183bpm), but only for like 30-60s and after that i'm dying - not enough air etc..
is it the case why for road bikes you set different maxHR ?
and how to set up the zones?

(i'm 181cm, 73kg, 40y)

(yes, i know that training with power meter is very popular now, but i won't buy one)

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    If you have a Strava account, try signing up at https://cricklesorg.wordpress.com/ , free to use and just needs authorisation to access your Strava data.

Features include a dynamic Lactate Threshold Hear Rate (very crudely a rate you can hold for 20mins+) and dynamic heart rate zones based on LTHR.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • razorjack
    razorjack Posts: 97
    edited May 2020
    i use elevate plugin as well... but i have a feeling that my LTHR could be different on a trainer and in real world scenario. As i wrote before, on a trainer, i was able to keep >80% for one hour,
    and best 20min at 89%mHR (i didn't try to keep highest possible for 20 min, so it's possible it could be a bit higher, and also there was few minutes sprint up to my max),
    which looks impossible for me on a real bike (due to lower candence? dunno, my legs wouldn't handle it)