New cassette noise - video attached.

2»

Comments

• buder
    buder Posts: 154

That worked. I can see the video now. As above hard to say it does sound normal on the sound. Seems every post has given ideas on everything you could check or try.

How about b-tension screw adjustment and making sure top jockey wheel has correct clearance from biggest cassette cog?

Is chain length right?

B screw is ok.

I did wonder about chain length but checked it and 'think' it is ok.

The defining factor with the noise starting was a change of cassette. I left the chain as it has not worn beyond even 0.5. I will get the chain swapped and see if that helps.

What is weird is that when I turn the cranks and hear the rattle, if i move the rear mech by hand to alter the chain tension slightly so I'm kind of pushing it forward a bit on its pivot the noise stops. This is the only hesitation I kind of have with it being the chain 100%.

• buder
    webboo said:

I have a Dura ace group set on one of my bikes, when I replaced the chain with a KMC chain it sounded like your bike. Stopped it for an Ultegra chain much quieter. However when I then put the KMC chain on my other bike with a 105 group set, no noise.

I was just looking at the KMC EL 11 speed chain as it said it was slightly narrower than the 105 one.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Any burrs visible on noisy cogs, are the teeth straight?

Worth checking for any play in individual cogs as in side to side or front and back?

Are all the cogs the right way around, all evenly spaced if an individually built up cassette as opposed to all pinned together as one block?
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    Put the old cassette back on. Does that sort it? Do you have another old chain you could try? But do just one thing at a time.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,671
    Um....Am I missing something here? Sounds like a dry chain on a new cassette. Put some lube on it. Ride it 200 miles then report back.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• buder

Um....Am I missing something here? Sounds like a dry chain on a new cassette. Put some lube on it. Ride it 200 miles then report back.

Not a dry chain, its been de-greased and re-lubed. I have tried waxing it and using some dry lube also, still the rattle persists.

As Photonic69 said - I am going to try another fresh chain, I can't think what else it could be now.
  • buder

Any burrs visible on noisy cogs, are the teeth straight?

Worth checking for any play in individual cogs as in side to side or front and back?

Are all the cogs the right way around, all evenly spaced if an individually built up cassette as opposed to all pinned together as one block?

I have gone through every link on the chain and removed the cassette again to check each cog, I can't see anything untoward, all looks the same as my other 5800 cassette.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,671
    Dry lube is always noisier than wet in my experience. I’ve just degreased my chains and gone to dry for the summer and the drivetrain is noticeably noisier now.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    I have gone through every link on the chain and removed the cassette again to check each cog, I can't see anything untoward, all looks the same as my other 5800 cassette.

Any change in noise with a small step fine tune of mech after that not much more to do as you've done and checked all you can it seems.

Maybe as stated previously a few miles riding and it could all settle in and quiet down a little more.

• buder

Any change in noise with a small step fine tune of mech after that not much more to do as you've done and checked all you can it seems.

Maybe as stated previously a few miles riding and it could all settle in and quiet down a little more.

Good point. I’ll carry on riding it for a while and see if it settles down. If not I’ll try a new chain first and take it from there.

Cheers