New cassette noise - video attached.

buder
buder Posts: 154
edited May 2020 in Workshop
Hi everyone.

I really can’t think what I could be causing this metallic rattle type noise I have going on my rear cassette.

I’ve got a new rear wheel and purchased a new cassette being a Shimano 105 11 speed.

The chain is also a 105 11 speed chain with no stretch.

I’ve installed the new cassette on the wheel tightened the lock ring correctly, no visible play. When I spin the pedals in the stand I get a metallic type rattle much more prominent when in the large front chain ring and lower cogs on the back.

It’s not the indexing, mech and der hanger alignment is ok.

Anyone else had this with a new cassette / rear wheel combo ?.

https://youtu.be/_2qMhvycjb8

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    What size cassette is it? The 11-34 requires a spacer if installed on an 11 speed wheel.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Rattle from the wheel or cassette?

The new wheel doesn't have one those plastic spoke protectors on it does it? They are murder for rattling.
  • buder
    It’s an 11-28 cassette.

It’s defo coming from the cassette area, don’t notice this with old wheel and cassette. This one sounds much noisier.

No plastic spoke protector on the wheel.

Do they need to bed in ?.
  • ibr17xvii
    May just be me but I've always thought 105 cassettes were noisier than Ultegra even when everything was set up correctly. Heard this mentioned a few times particularly on an indoor trainer.

Difficult to say without hearing the noise but I would certainly try it out on the road a few times & see if that helps.
  • buder
    My old cassette is 105 also and doesn’t make this noise
  • buder
    edited May 2020
    I’ve put a video up of the noise https://youtu.be/_2qMhvycjb8

Apologies for the bike being upside down !.
  • ibr17xvii
    There will be far bigger experts on here than me I'm sure but I can't really hear much wrong with that.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    As above.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Sound better than mine
  • buder
    edited May 2020
    Fair enough, there is a definite metallic rattle in the lower rear cogs when in the big front chain ring compared to the same cassette in my other wheel. I can hear it over the wind when out so it’s very odd, I hope I’m not doing damage to something.

I tried to capture it better today, ignore the dodgy camera skills but the noise is more pronounced in this video:

https://youtu.be/aTD8QZlouxc
  • A slight possibility could be the chain rubbing against the front mech depending on what you mean by lower cogs. If you mean top gear this can happen.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727
    There is a noise or possibly two noises. Trouble is the video/sound is not long enough.
    Try this: When all else is quite Start the camera with the wheel not moving,
    then turn the pedals slowly,
    building up speed gradually (20-30secs),
    then stop pedalling, allow wheel to freewheel for a while (10secs),
    start pedalling again shifting the FRONT gears,
    after a while go up and down the rear gears, freewheeling from time to time,
    shift the FRONT, wait and repeat the rears
    video should end up at 2-3 mins at least
    Try and point the camera/mic at the derailleurs each in turn, again slowly!
    We might be able to get an idea to what is happening then
  • buder
    Thank you for the feedback. I have had another go but not sure if it’s any better, I will have to get my daughter to assist later if not much better. I’ve gone up and down the cassette in both front chain rings, you can hopefully hear the pitch difference when in the large and the slight metallic rattle the higher up the rear cassette I go:

https://youtu.be/yVY27e63aVk
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    "higher up the rear cassette"

Can you clarify? Higher gear i.e. smaller sprockets or larger sprockets i.e. lower gear.
    If you mean lower gear then you shouldn't be using the big ring with your lowest gear anyway.
    Frank Yates
  • buder

"higher up the rear cassette"

Can you clarify? Higher gear i.e. smaller sprockets or larger sprockets i.e. lower gear.
    If you mean lower gear then you shouldn't be using the big ring with your lowest gear anyway.

Sorry. Lower gear, sound is very prominent from 17- 21
  • It could still be the front mech. You shouldn't be riding big to big. The chain angle is all wrong and puts excess strain on the links.

The chain could be rubbing on the inside of the front mech. Does it make a noise in those sprockets when in the little ring?

May not be this but it is a process of elimination.
  • buder
    edited May 2020

It could still be the front mech. You shouldn't be riding big to big. The chain angle is all wrong and puts excess strain on the links.

The chain could be rubbing on the inside of the front mech. Does it make a noise in those sprockets when in the little ring?

May not be this but it is a process of elimination.

Good shout, I’m defo not cross chaining to the extremes in either front chain ring. I’ve defo checked and it’s not FD cage rub.

I’ve literally limited it down to the chain I think although it is less prominent on my other wheel with a different but same 105 cassette. The chain checker shows less than 0.5 wear so I didn’t change it.

I’ve never changed a chain, wish my bike shop was open again !.
  • ibr17xvii
    Jockey wheels OK as far as you know?

On one of my bikes when I was getting near to cross chaining in the big ring my jockey wheels would squeak quite badly.

Lubed them for a while at the bolt which sorted it temporarily & then changed them after a bit.
  • buder
    ibr17xvii said:

On one of my bikes when I was getting near to cross chaining in the big ring my jockey wheels would squeak quite badly.

Lubed them for a while at the bolt which sorted it temporarily & then changed them after a bit.

As far as I know, I’ve checked them and they look ok, cleaned and lubes them just to be sure.

I think I have it down to either rear mech or chain. When the shop re-opens I’ll take it in, for now I’ll keep riding it. I don’t think I’m doing any damage to anything as is.
  • ibr17xvii
    buder said:

ibr17xvii said:

As far as I know, I’ve checked them and they look ok, cleaned and lubes them just to be sure.

I think I have it down to either rear mech or chain. When the shop re-opens I’ll take it in, for now I’ll keep riding it. I don’t think I’m doing any damage to anything as is.

Doesn't sound horrendous so I don't think you'll be doing any damage riding it.

I hate messing around with mechs as I usually stuff it up so take it to the shop if you're anything like me.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    buder said:

ibr17xvii said:

Buder, I am also the type that wants my bike to be 100% perfect. If I can hear a little noise I am not happy with, it spoils my ride. Fortunately I am an old git and my ears do not work as good as they did so now I have a solution. If I leave my hearing aid at home I enjoy my bike ride much more. Just turn a deaf ear to the noise, give your brain a rest and enjoy the ride.
  • buder
    lesfirth said:

buder said:

ibr17xvii said:

Buder, I am also the type that wants my bike to be 100% perfect. If I can hear a little noise I am not happy with, it spoils my ride. Fortunately I am an old git and my ears do not work as good as they did so now I have a solution. If I leave my hearing aid at home I enjoy my bike ride much more. Just turn a deaf ear to the noise, give your brain a rest and enjoy the ride.
    Very true Les.

I just wish I could leave my hearing at home at times also...lol.
  • kwozzymodo
    kwozzymodo Posts: 45
    The chain is threaded through the cage correctly?
  • buder

The chain is threaded through the cage correctly?

Yes, I didn’t remove the chain.
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    ibr17xvii said:

May just be me but I've always thought 105 cassettes were noisier than Ultegra even when everything was set up correctly. Heard this mentioned a few times particularly on an indoor trainer.

Difficult to say without hearing the noise but I would certainly try it out on the road a few times & see if that helps.

Same. I run Ultegra on my outdoor bike and 105 on the trainer and the 105 sounds like the lockring has come off. Just get used to it or spend more money on cassettes.
  • buder
    edited May 2020
    racerex said:

ibr17xvii said:

Same. I run Ultegra on my outdoor bike and 105 on the trainer and the 105 sounds like the lockring has come off. Just get used to it or spend more money on cassettes.
    Went out on it today and it sounds terrible. It’s definitely a rhythmic sound so convinced its cassette / chain with an outside chance it’s the rear mech. I have a 5800 105 cassette on the turbo wheel and it’s much quieter than the R700 105 cassette on the road wheels.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Can't watch the videos for some reason. Can you post some detailed pictures from a few angles when noise is at its worse? May help to spot something?
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727

Can't watch the videos for some reason. Can you post some detailed pictures from a few angles when noise is at its worse? May help to spot something?

The camera doesn’t move around enough to do that, perhaps you can watch/listen this
    https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=yVY27e63aVk&feature=emb_logo
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    That worked. I can see the video now. As above hard to say it does sound normal on the sound. Seems every post has given ideas on everything you could check or try.

How about b-tension screw adjustment and making sure top jockey wheel has correct clearance from biggest cassette cog?

Is chain length right?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have a Dura ace group set on one of my bikes, when I replaced the chain with a KMC chain it sounded like your bike. Stopped it for an Ultegra chain much quieter. However when I then put the KMC chain on my other bike with a 105 group set, no noise.