Depression bad right now - what helps - Thanks

As the title says since lockdown my depression has gotten quite a lot worse.
Im a beginner ish cycling - did 4 months last year average 100km/week mix of easy and hard hills etc.
Started again about 5 weeks ago - did too much last 2 weeks 160km lot of harder efforts - so going easy again this week.
What is the best thing you do in terms of cycling for your depression ? 1 hr zone 2 every day , more zone 1 to be out in nature or more hills , intervals etc ?
Pre ride food , post ride food stretches etc anything that helps ?
Trying to get a plan together to maximize what I can do to alleviate symptoms without being burnt out from overdoing it.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• I think a lot of ppl will be in the same boat as yourself including me!

I think it’s best to just go out and ride. Enjoy it!! Don’t worry about pushing yourself, average speeds etc. Just go out steady pedal and enjoy the moment.

Try eat healthy and plan in a cheat meal and drink if that’s what you like.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594
    Go out on a scenic route going fast when you feel like it, going slow when you feel like it. Mostly just doing what you feel like without over thinking anything.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    As above, but often I don't decide what to do with the ride until I've started. The important bit (and the hard bit for me) when depressed is starting.

• pblakeney
    Just to add to the above, leave the Garmin (or other) at home.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • British Cycling have some helpful tips on their website.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Do enough exercise to let the endorphins kick in. That will vary by person so you may get away with less or may have to do more.

Avoid (all) alcohol. Speak to family and friends. Eat healthily. Avoid too much quiet time and when you see quiet time coming look for something to engage the brain.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I've always found the trick is to do something that requires just enough mental engagement to stop you from thinking about other things, but not so much as to stress you out. To give your brain a wash, so to speak.

Having something repetitive to do is good for that, such as counting how long you hold stretches, sets of weights etc.

You could try the "smell the roses" approach to riding that others have suggested. Certainly works for me. But I do also find sometimes that it gives me too much time to think. So I listen to the radio in one ear, or podcasts, when I need to. I know it's worked when I haven't had half a dozen difficult imaginary conversations with my boss, but also cannot recall what the podcast was about.

You also need to cut yourself some slack about being depressed just now.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    Don't ride for training, ride for the pleasure of riding a bike.

- Enjoy the warmth and sun on your face and body.
    - Make the ride a memory by riding to a beautiful spot. Stop for 10-15 and appreciate the view.
    - If you come across a field of lambs, stop and sit silently watching the joy of young lambs playing.

It's about positive things. When you are riding home and you think about the above it give you a smile and warm feeling. Maybe you will also smile when you think about the above in the evening, etc
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    What helps is having some kind of goal to aim for... maybe a big sportive next year or a cycling trip to the Alps... something that gets you motivated to cycle more and maybe harder.

Zone 1 is the same as a stroll in the park, you probably want to push yourself a bit harder to get some endorphins going. Get out in the colder hours, it helps
    left the forum March 2023
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    navrig2 said:

...Avoid (all) alcohol...

😳 You are 'avin' a laff right?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Mix it up - have a hills / fast day when you aim to push it, and then have cruise days. Gradually build your endurance, as you get fitter you can get out more. Find some different routes - Veloviewer (£10 pa, bargain) has its Wheel. you can see where you have been riding over any time frame. Think about filling in some of the gaps.
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

navrig2 said:

Naw. Alcohol is a multiplier. If yer doon then it'll drag ye doon further. Never seen thon lassies greetin on the gin? If yer up though, it's time to pairty!
    Init.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

navrig2 said:

Naw. Alcohol is a multiplier. If yer doon then it'll drag ye doon further. Never seen thon lassies greetin on the gin? If yer up though, it's time to pairty!
    Init.
    Fit ye oan aboot min? Greetin' lassies? Get tae. Keep aff thon gin if'n ye cannae cope wi' it. A wee Buckie o' a mornin' sets ye up good 'n' proper, ken.

Sorry. Apologies to OP for taking this way off. Being somewhat facetious.

However I have had some serious sh1t going down this past year. And indeed had an open and honest discussion with GP practice nurse at my annual healthcheck couple months back about acknowledging how I was using alcohol as a bit of a crutch, that I knew I was and how I would control it. So far not a total pizzhead. I think.

Each to their own in how to cope with Stuff. Back on topic I find hitting the rides in my own tempo and distance / length per how I feel on the day, not thinking about how compares to other rides is absolutely A1 in terms of mental health benefit.

(Though pixxed off with today's weather knocking the planned 60-70km on the head.)

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    All the above are helpful in coping with depression but understanding what has led to one’s depression and then working through those issues are going to have a better long term result.
  • navrig2
    Alcohol is a depressant so on top of being depressed will make things worse. There is an instant euphoric release but it is very short lasting followed by a more damaging depressive response.

Se the 2nd paragraph here: https://support.google.com/blogger/thread/39936760?hl=en
  • navrig2
    sniper68 said:

I quit alcohol Xmas day.Partly forced,partly voluntarily.
    I was diagnosed with mild depression about 18 months ago after a serious accident at work.I've always "liked a drink" but it got to the point late last year where I was "calling for a pint" when walking the dog,having 3 or 4(tea-time) then going home and downing 3 bottles of wine with the wife.This was almost daily.The "off switch" had gone.It was not helping with the depression,the total opposite in fact.
    So I quit.I've not set any timescale or told myself I'm quitting forever I'm just not drinking at all at the minute.The result is I'm now taking half the dose of medication I was in December and for the first time in years I'm riding without a hangover on Sat/Sun mornings B) I'm actually enjoying riding more.
    So if you are depressed and on meds then quitting alcohol is a good start!
    As for the rest well there's been some excellent advice up thread.Just go out,enjoy and ride for riding's sake B)
    Even now I(or sometimes the missus) has to kick me up the ar$e to get out but within 5 minutes I know I've done the right thing and my mood lifts.
    I don't know where you are or ride but if you can get out on quieter roads/lanes just go!

TOP POST. WELL DONE AND KEEP IT UP.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    For cycling, I find mixing it up the best. I generally ride to work and back 2-3 times a week and then once or twice at the weekend, sometimes on road and sometimes off it. One of those will be a long ride, usually at an easy pace, but I might make some or all of it a charge. One ride will usually be an interval session, one ride might be hill repeats or lots of hills. The other rides will be fairly relaxed, I am trying to ride 10k km this year so it makes you think a lot about where and when you are out on the bike.
    Since lockdown began, I have been riding more; not longer individual rides but more often. I've found trails off road I have never been down, and some roads and lanes too, and I've lived here over 20 years!
  • neilophenia
    neilophenia Posts: 29
    Your question suggests that you suffer from depression anyway and that lockdown has made it worse. No offence to anyone who’s posted here but I’d go and see a doctor rather than adjust your training.
    It took me a long time to pluck up the courage and go to the doctor but the simple act of doing so and getting a medical analysis was a weight off my shoulders. I’d read all of the online advice including how sport could improve things so I increased my training.
    As you wrote, the mere act of getting out and going for a ride can be hard. I’d plan my ride for the next day and wake up and (more or less) stare at the wall all day with no motivation. Other days I’d ride a few miles before feeling overcome by sadness and, on the verge of tears, I’d turn around and go home, back to bed. Sport did nothing to alleviate the symptoms as promised by so many “experts”. It often made me feel worse. I’d start asking myself why I was riding as there was no point. I was too old to become a pro so what was the point in training?
    The doctor gave me some pills which didn’t help but my life was a bit of a shambles back then and I feel a lot better these days. I’m still rather melancholy and rarely really happy but not as bad as I was.
    Rather than looking at changing your training I’d definitely get professional help as riding alone doesn’t seem to be helping you much.
    Personally, apart from having less money, I’m loving lockdown, one reason being that I have more time to ride and the roads are quiet. A routine can help you have a reason to do things but sometimes it’s not possible to dig yourself out of a dark hole without someone helping you.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Can only echo the above comments - forget the Garmin/Strava etc for a few weeks. Ride your bike for the sheer pleasure of riding your bike, don't look at each ride as if it has to be a sufferfest then beat yourself up over your performance. How about setting yourself a target of capturing a nice photo on your ride. It doesn't matter how long, how far or how fast it is, just remind yourself of why you enjoy cycling. You'll probably maintain your base fitness anyway. A wise old man in our cycling club once told me "Keep going out your front door to ride your bike, one day fitness will sneak in the back door." He was right, although I was worried he was going to burgle my house for a while.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 452
    I saw this pop back up and thought I’d add to it.

I went through a really bad spell last autumn through to March this year. I had some health issues last year and there was some stuff going on at work.

It eventually got bad enough that I was signed off work for 3 months and put on meds.

The health issues stopped me riding my bike or running for 6 months and that really got to me as that’s normally my release. I started going to the gym instead and swimming, that helped a bit.

What really has worked for me is counselling. I’ve been speaking to a counsellor now since December and it’s really helping me. I’m a “typical” Glasgow bloke in his 50’s, never speak to anyone about how I’m feeling and that just built up a load of issues in me.

It may not be for everyone but it’s certainly worth a try.

Mens mental health is a big issue and needs more focus.