Starlink

13»

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

Yes, Starlink is supposed to eventually be 42,000 satellites!

I guess a high intensity laser in space would do enough damage to put them out of operation and quickly too. Then there would have to be space defence systems.

Ukraine using Starlink must have got the Russian military/intelligence looking into it.

That's a lot of satellites!

I often see them (or others) through the telescope when I'm looking for deep space objects. They flash through the eyepiece going very quickly when you're using high magnifications, and then you get a second, (and third sometimes) along the same sort of track.

I know they annoy the astro photography people, and I think that Starlink are trying to limit the reflections off them by altering the attitude at certain places in the orbits.
    But I quite like to see them.

The older I get, the better I was.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    I like that, it must be a sight.

That sound like a good idea. Yeah, it will be a good source of communications for remote areas, so I like the idea of them too.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152

When they'd only launched a few (maybe 100 or so) and there was a clear night we went outside to watch for them and it was quite a sight seeing a train of 10 objects following each other across the sky.
    Now there are more of them maybe it's just a constant hemisphere of moving stars, or maybe if they've made the new ones less reflective an overhead pass of the first generation is still something worth seeing.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Surprised you're a fan Focuszing...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • focuszing723
    pangolin said:

Yes, Elon Musk's Starlink is a step forward for global communications...

I agree, Pangolin.
  • focuszing723
    thistle_ said:

When they'd only launched a few (maybe 100 or so) and there was a clear night we went outside to watch for them and it was quite a sight seeing a train of 10 objects following each other across the sky.
    Now there are more of them maybe it's just a constant hemisphere of moving stars, or maybe if they've made the new ones less reflective an overhead pass of the first generation is still something worth seeing.

I remember seeing them at that point too, I probably posted about it in this thread.

Yeah, that's a fair point about less reflection now. I couldn't say I've looked out for them, though.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    edited June 2022
    thistle_ said:

There was one night when i was out looking for the ISS as well as using the telescope. I'd gone to the computer for a few seconds and when I looked up again, there was a 'train' from a recent launch spread across half the sky.

I counted 20 and I know I missed quite few of the first ones. They looked like a string of fairy lights, absolutely amazing to see

The older I get, the better I was.

• Since June 2010, rockets from the Falcon 9 family have been launched 177 times, one partial failure and one total loss of the spacecraft. In addition, one rocket and its payload were destroyed on the launch pad during the fuelling process before a static fire test was set to occur.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_and_Falcon_Heavy_launches#:~:text=Since June 2010, rockets from,test was set to occur.

It seems as reliable as taking a commercial flight now.

No question, reusable rockets is a giant leap forward towards creating/joining an intergalactic bike race series.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921
    One hull loss for every 200 flights?

Not sure it is anything like a commercial flight.
  • Jezyboy said:

The first couple at the start can be written off as evolution. I'm sure the stats for commercial flights were as good in it's infancy.
  • Anyway, look at the bigger intergalactic bike racing series picture, will you.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    It's a good development and clearly we are all more reliant on satellites than we realise so having more sustainable and cheaper rocketry is a good thing.

• focuszing723
    edited September 2022

It's a good development and clearly we are all more reliant on satellites than we realise so having more sustainable and cheaper rocketry is a good thing.

Blimey, I didn't have to change what you said or anything.

Ah, yep, it was the thought of an intergalactic bike racing series.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921

Jezyboy said:

The first couple at the start can be written off as evolution. I'm sure the stats for commercial flights were as good in it's infancy.
    Sure, I'm not entirely serious. I think one of the issues with the shuttle program was that it suggested space exploration was at a similar trl to aviation. This simultaneously hurt it because it made it look a bit dull, but also then meant it was much more shocking when disasters happened.

• focuszing723
    edited September 2022
    Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

Sure, I'm not entirely serious. I think one of the issues with the shuttle program was that it suggested space exploration was at a similar trl to aviation. This simultaneously hurt it because it made it look a bit dull, but also then meant it was much more shocking when disasters happened.

Yeah, it was a great concept, but so damn costly and they had to keep repairing it. I remember seeing it on the back of a 747 at Farnborough as a kid. Quite a sight.

I hope SpaceX have some good results with StarShip.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    If anything the success of private enterprise space travel should help NASA re-evaluate its model.
  • As NASA scrubbed the Artemis 1 uncrewed mission to the Moon once again, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk on Sunday came up with a suggestion for the ailing mission that will finally land astronauts on the lunar surface after decades.

NASA engineers could not overcome a hydrogen leak in a 'quick disconnect' phase of the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket launch on Saturday.

According to Eric Berger of Ars Technica, NASA has a tolerance for a small amount of hydrogen leakage and anything above a 4 per cent concentration of hydrogen near the 'quick disconnect' is considered a flammability hazard.

Musk replied to Berger's 'accurate assessment', saying that "Raptor design started out using H2 (hydrogen), but switched to CH4 (hydrogen). Latter is the best combo of high efficiency and ease of operation in my opinion."

"Delta-v difference between H2 and CH4 is small for most missions, because the CH4 tank is much smaller & no insulation is needed," Musk explained.
    https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/elon-musk-throws-a-solution-for-nasa-s-artemis-1-mission-to-moon-122090400214_1.html
  • If anything the success of private enterprise space travel should help NASA re-evaluate its model.

Yeah, that's what Musk said about rockets and ev's. The more competition the better for the proliferation. That's all he was interested in at the start. I guess now with two very successful companies, as long as the're doing well, he's OK with the competition.

Keeps them on their toes.

• CH4 isn't Hydrogen, it's methane.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    "Raptor design started out using H2 (hydrogen), but switched to CH4 (hydrogen)."

Suggests someone didnt proof read too much
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Gosh, that's impressive, it's good to see people working together to progress space travel.

Yes, it is.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554

CH4 isn't Hydrogen, it's methane.

musk is not a rocket scientist :smiley:
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod said:

CH4 isn't Hydrogen, it's methane.

Musk is not a rocket scientist :smiley:
    Hey! Let's have a bit of respect round here.
  • focuszing723
    edited November 2022

Top executives have already been removed, as Mr Musk brings in high profile allies to the company.

The latest move will mean that he is now chief executive of three companies. Along with taking the top role at Twitter, Mr Musk is chief executive of electric car maker Tesla and rocket company SpaceX.

However, he has indicated that his position at the social media company may be temporary.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63458380

With my low capacity mind, I would be thinking what's my salient goal and concentrate of that. To boldly go and all that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    When I see Starlink on here I keeping it must be some new fancy quick link for joining chains.