• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Weather clearing
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    edited May 2020
    Looking good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZsnKGV8TE

A shame it's earlier in the evening this time, we might have seen them go over on the Weds launch. Apparently passing over UK around 22:16, very low in the southern sky.

The older I get, the better I was.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    I wonder at what T- they start sh1tt1ng themselves a bit?
  • focuszing723
    Well it's already taken off on sky news.
  • focuszing723
    Great achievement.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Going well isn't it
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • surrey_commuter

Why would you watch Sky News when you can watch NASA TV?
  • focuszing723

Why would you watch Sky News when you can watch NASA TV?
    I had three screens in front of me with a pair of ski gloves on. I found it easier to just select Sky News.
  • focuszing723
    Great to hear the astronauts made it safely into the ISS.
  • capt_slog
    Apart from bumping his head on the way in. He seemed convinced it was bleeding, but we couldn't see anything.

• focuszing723
    edited June 2020
    It's quite amusing really. They travelled all that way with all the complicated elements required and as soon as he get's out he bumps his head!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Never happened to Captain Kirk.
  • focuszing723
    1 Like for the safe landing.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnChQbxLkkI

Yep, space suits are definitely cooler now.
  • capt_slog
    I stayed up to watch it. It's possible I could even have seen it pass overhead had it not been cloudy. I wish they would show the ground track somewhere, I've looked but can never find it before the launch.

• capt_slog said:

I stayed up to watch it. It's possible I could even have seen it pass overhead had it not been cloudy. I wish they would show the ground track somewhere, I've looked but can never find it before the launch.

I must admit I fell asleep the time of the launch.

I will have to have a look for that, they must display the information somewhere.

I still find it incredible a private company can do this. Also Impressive/interesting how Musk can get to the point of launching Astronauts to space privately, yet Bezos hasn't made the strides with Blue Origin.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

capt_slog said:

I will have to have a look for that, they must display the information somewhere.

I still find it incredible a private company can do this. Also Impressive/interesting how Musk can get to the point of launching Astronauts to space privately, yet Bezos hasn't made the strides with Blue Origin.
    Yes, it's interesting what makes these things happen. Musk is probably a far more radical thinker (as evidenced by landing tubes upright from miles in the sky) and probably creating and leading a more innovative organisation. Bezos is incredibly successful but ultimately a logistics man.

The Space race has been driven by superpowers and / or the engines of state throwing enormous resources at it. US, USSR, China, India etc.

Musk is genuinely an outlier and he has defied many conventions along the way. Probably a cause and effect relationship in that last sentence.
  • morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Yes, it's interesting what makes these things happen. Musk is probably a far more radical thinker (as evidenced by landing tubes upright from miles in the sky) and probably creating and leading a more innovative organisation. Bezos is incredibly successful but ultimately a logistics man.

The Space race has been driven by superpowers and / or the engines of state throwing enormous resources at it. US, USSR, China, India etc.

Musk is genuinely an outlier and he has defied many conventions along the way. Probably a cause and effect relationship in that last sentence.
    Yes, that's a good point.

It would be good if Bezos/Beoing could step up to the plate to further the private sector competition. Musk has encouraged this akin to Tesla and the automotive industry, whether this view would change if his companies started tanking!?

He certainly seems to have the ability to instil an atmosphere/culture of rapid evolution. I have heard (just through the media) that it's not all a relaxed environment in his the companies, but who can argue with the competitive results.
  • morstar

morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Yes, that's a good point.

It would be good if Bezos/Beoing could step up to the plate to further the private sector competition. Musk has encouraged this akin to Tesla and the automotive industry, whether this view would change if his companies started tanking!?

He certainly seems to have the ability to instil an atmosphere/culture of rapid evolution. I have heard (just through the media) that it's not all a relaxed environment in his the companies, but who can argue with the competitive results.
    I don't doubt for one second he's a headcase to work for. Would definitely take a certain type but I suspect it's high pressure high reward. Not necessarily financially although I have no idea.
  • Apparently he also surrounds himself with brilliant thinkers.

Also doesn't have a PR team, I heard.
  • morstar

Apparently he also surrounds himself with brilliant thinkers.

Without a doubt.

Just think of the absurdity of suggesting to land the rockets upright on a boat!

• I guess it makes sense if they can reliably do it. No doubt will see it happening pretty soon.
  • capt_slog
    Just over 30 minutes to launch as I write this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeIVJyufJrE

This flight is a crew change for the ISS.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    My boss has Starlink broadband.

It's rubbish. He's always having problems with it.
  • surrey_commuter
    capt_slog said:

Just over 30 minutes to launch as I write this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeIVJyufJrE

This flight is a crew change for the ISS.

thanks for posting this
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2022
    Elon Musk’s Starlink satellites are making the Chinese government nervous enough that they’re working on plans to disable them.

According to a paper published last month, Chinese military researchers have expressed concern about the military threat posed by the Starlink constellation.

The paper reportedly highlights the need for China to develop counter measures to destroy the satellites in case they threaten the country’s national security.

‘A combination of soft and hard kill methods should be adopted to make some Starlink satellites lose their functionality and destroy the constellation’s operating system,’ read a translation of the paper published in China’s Modern Defence Technology journal.

The study was led by Ren Yuanzhen, a researcher with the Beijing Institute of Tracking and Telecommunications funded by the Chinese state.
    https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/01/chinese-military-urged-to-destroy-elon-musks-starlink-satellites-16747542/

I don't know if this is really high on their concern, or they're just testing the waters. It does raise an interesting question though with regards tech in space.

They allowed a Tesla plant in China too, and Starlink was already low orbital.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556

Elon Musk’s Starlink satellites are making the Chinese government nervous enough that they’re working on plans to disable them.

According to a paper published last month, Chinese military researchers have expressed concern about the military threat posed by the Starlink constellation.

The paper reportedly highlights the need for China to develop counter measures to destroy the satellites in case they threaten the country’s national security.

‘A combination of soft and hard kill methods should be adopted to make some Starlink satellites lose their functionality and destroy the constellation’s operating system,’ read a translation of the paper published in China’s Modern Defence Technology journal.

The study was led by Ren Yuanzhen, a researcher with the Beijing Institute of Tracking and Telecommunications funded by the Chinese state.
    https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/01/chinese-military-urged-to-destroy-elon-musks-starlink-satellites-16747542/

I don't know if this is really high on their concern, or they're just testing the waters. It does raise an interesting question though with regards tech in space.

They allowed a Tesla plant in China too, and Starlink was already low orbital.
    think i read somewhere that this might've been more about internal rah rah to be seen as super-patriotic 'wolf warriors' than serious intent

must be a year or more back that china was proposing to create it's own leo comms with far more satellites, from memory over 10,000

either way, the number of leo systems seems set to increase significantly

physically disabling enough to degrade a system feels like it might create a lot of high-velocity debris that'll take several years to de-orbit
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    sungod said:

physically disabling enough to degrade a system feels like it might create a lot of high-velocity debris that'll take several years to de-orbit

That might be the coolest thing you've ever posted Sunny...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    Yes, Starlink is supposed to eventually be 42,000 satellites!

I guess a high intensity laser in space would do enough damage to put them out of operation and quickly too. Then there would have to be space defence systems.

Ukraine using Starlink must have got the Russian military/intelligence looking into it.