What's your Lockdown Route?

This is mine. Basically ten miles and never further than a mile (ish) from my home. Normally do 2 loops at a time. No great ascents but enough to tire the legs after a while.

Anyone else got a good local ride that they're using to be CV compliant?
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Fun... mine are several micro-variations of this one... not sure if it is CV compliant by your standards

https://www.strava.com/activities/3297487694

left the forum March 2023
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I haven't changed much. I have taken a few new paths off my regular routes, as low traffic makes exploring new roads a much easier decision to make.

But the last 12 months have been 99% commuting, so getting back to my old favourites has been good anyway.

https://strava.app.link/a9UBOeIMH5
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Fun... mine are several micro-variations of this one... not sure if it is CV compliant by your standards

https://www.strava.com/activities/3297487694

Ugo, our routes look remarkably similar. Though all my climbing fits in the first half.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Mine's pretty much my commute to the office then home.
    Works out to be about 30-35km and between 300-500m climbing. Most of it is basically hill reps (3/4/5 reps of Portsdown hill)

Most of it is cycle lane or quieter roads.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Different route and distance every day.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836

Different route and distance every day.

I am trying for that too. Not sure what a "CV compliant" route is, there doesn't seem to be anything very specific. I'm riding more than Feb and Mar, but that's mainly because the weather is so much better, and the lighter mornings and evenings reduce the faff hugely. I am riding less intensely though, and trying to stay focussed on the road and whatever else is going on.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The most CV compliant route is just one that starts and ends at where you are living. There is no time or distance limit.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    wongataa said:

The most CV compliant route is just one that starts and ends at where you are living. There is no time or distance limit.

I didn't say there was did I?

However, as a number of people have pointed out, there are sensible reasons to stay close to home if you feel that way inclined.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Could someone define what CV compliant is?

I mean the government definition, not some snowflake variant.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Took a longer ride to test the guns on the only hill in the area... PR, so mission accomplished!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3335275276
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Could someone define what CV compliant is?

If you read the official government advice for corona virus you will see that there aren't any guidelines for cycling or walking outside. They state you can leave the house once per day to perform these activities for exercise and that is it. There are no limits specified on the activities themselves. You can officially go as far as you like.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    edited April 2020
    I'm trying to avoid popular bike paths and shared use routes because they are busier than usual and I've not been driving anywhere to ride - not that I do that very often anyway.

I'm not limiting my road riding and if anything I've been using some roads I normally avoid because of traffic levels.

I do know a rider who was stopped and questioned by police - they were happy he was within 15 miles of home and he didn't want to argue the point with them that even if he hadn't been he'd have been doing nothing illegal.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • wongataa said:

If you read the official government advice for corona virus you will see that there aren't any guidelines for cycling or walking outside. They state you can leave the house once per day to perform these activities for exercise and that is it. There are no limits specified on the activities themselves. You can officially go as far as you like.
    That's what I thought. So why is everyone banging on about CV compliant routes.
  • ugo.santalucia

The default position is stay at home... if everybody was going out for an 8 hour exercise session, then roads and parks would be packed and they would be unsafe... so in essence if you are out for 8 hours you are contributing to the "human traffic".

Although there isn't a specified amount of exercise, one might argue that self discipline is desirable...

SO a CV-19 compliant route cannot be 100 miles, for instance... or a loop 100 miles away from home for what that matters
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

I would suggest any route that allows you to maintain social distancing, I.e. 2 metres away from people apart from other members of your household.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3344540747

This is my regular pre work ride so I've just been doing that really. Working from home as well as a big garden project means I haven't really had much time to get out.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ugo.santalucia

https://www.strava.com/activities/3344540747

This is my regular pre work ride so I've just been doing that really. Working from home as well as a big garden project means I haven't really had much time to get out.

nice
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

The default position is stay at home... if everybody was going out for an 8 hour exercise session, then roads and parks would be packed and they would be unsafe... so in essence if you are out for 8 hours you are contributing to the "human traffic".

Although there isn't a specified amount of exercise, one might argue that self discipline is desirable...

SO a CV-19 compliant route cannot be 100 miles, for instance... or a loop 100 miles away from home for what that matters
    Why do you need to be out for 8 hours if you are riding 100 miles.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    webboo said:

Pub lunch
  • mrb123

webboo said:

Pub lunch
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18400923.cyclists-fined-drinking-beer-garden-ride---police-step-lockdown-patrols/
  • ugo.santalucia
    webboo said:

6, 7? Does it matter?
  • I’ve been trying to ride different roads since the lockdown. I realise I am now spoiled by the quietness of the roads. You need to be self sufficient though as no one is going to come near you if you can’t fix a mechanical issue mid ride.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited April 2020
    In Wales now you can only cycle within a reasonable walking distance from home... so that's what 5-6 miles from home tops, give or take?
    That pretty much limits to loops or a short < 1 hour ride, I guess.

No such thing in England yet... bloody Labour! :D
  • mrb123

In Wales now you can only cycle within a reasonable walking distance from home... so that's what 5-6 miles from home tops, give or take?
    That pretty much limits to loops or a short < 1 hour ride, I guess.

No such thing in England yet... bloody Labour! :D

I did suggest to my parents that if the same rule is introduced in England they should carry on as normal but carry a copy of their certificates for having completed the Long Distance Walkers' Association annual 100 mile event to demonstrate their understanding of "walking distance"!
  • ugo.santalucia
    As a rule of thumb, it's not a bad one... certainly better than the Italian rule for runners: no more than 200 meters from home... that doesn't help if you are not a sprinter.

People should embrace 10 mile TTing and be content...

I did simulate one the other day and as a workout, it was plenty

https://www.strava.com/activities/3316236623
  • DeVlaeminck
    My take is still go as far as you want so long as you socially distance - I see no logical reason why 4 hours doing loops near my house is better for anyone than doing one big 60-70 mile loop in the Peak district.

If the Welsh rules became law in England I'd comply under duress - I don't want to be fined and named and shamed in the local media but I'd consider it a bad law. I'd just spend the time walking (Ive got 3 dogs that would like 4 hour walks), running, kicking a football about with my daughter, maybe read a book in the park if the weather is nice. So long as I'm not near others I don't see what business it is of the govt how I spend my time.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited April 2020

My take is still go as far as you want so long as you socially distance - I see no logical reason why 4 hours doing loops near my house is better for anyone than doing one big 60-70 mile loop in the Peak district.

If the Welsh rules became law in England I'd comply under duress - I don't want to be fined and named and shamed in the local media but I'd consider it a bad law. I'd just spend the time walking (Ive got 3 dogs that would like 4 hour walks), running, kicking a football about with my daughter, maybe read a book in the park if the weather is nice. So long as I'm not near others I don't see what business it is of the govt how I spend my time.

I think you are missing the point. We can't have a rule for the privileged (being that because they have more wealth or they live in more remote areas) and one for the plebs that live in heavily built up areas...
    We can't have a situation where your park is OK to go to, but another one isn't because it's in a city... it would just lead to repressed anger and inevitably to people flouting the rules to come to your privileged hill, where they are allowed to have a pic-nic.
    So we all have to try and comply with rules that are suited to one place, but look silly in another place.

We are very fortunate that we are allowed to go outdoors for exercise and the restrictions to this are very very limited. If you look at the other 3 countries in Europe with > 20,000 deaths, you can't go out for exercise, or you can but you have to in sight of your home.

I think we should just comply and be sensible about it, rather than taking the attitude that the rules don't really apply to us because where we live we can cycle for hours without seeing a soul.

I do appreciate you are not saving lives by having a shorter ride, but it's about setting the example for others, more than anything else...

• DeVlaeminck
    Well I live close to a city centre and my park is within the city boundaries - 100metres from my house - it's not some country park but it is big enough to find a quiet corner and I've no problem with people doing that.

At the moment I AM complying with the law as my 4 hour rides are exercise. I'm not sure what example doing shorter rides sets - why would it be ok to do a 10 mile time trial near an urban area (your choice) but not a 60 mile ride in a more remote one (mine) - you are probably seen by as many people as see me . I think you are falling into the trap of doing what suits you and then building a justification around it.
  • ugo.santalucia

Well I live close to a city centre and my park is within the city boundaries - 100metres from my house - it's not some country park but it is big enough to find a quiet corner and I've no problem with people doing that.

At the moment I AM complying with the law as my 4 hour rides are exercise. I'm not sure what example doing shorter rides sets - why would it be ok to do a 10 mile time trial near an urban area (your choice) but not a 60 mile ride in a more remote one (mine) - you are probably seen by as many people as see me . I think you are falling into the trap of doing what suits you and then building a justification around it.

That was actually an exception, as I normally go for 90 minutes or so... kind of 50 km, occasionally I have gone a bit further, like 2 hours, occasionally a bit less. It's certainly a lot less than the mammooth 200-300 km rides I used to do in April last year

I just think that the default position is "stay at home", then you can add up the exceptions... if you ride 4 hours a day, or even more as I have seen many doing, then when is exactly that you are "staying at home"? Meal time and bedtime?

As I look outside the window, my neighbour is just setting off for a bike ride (and I mean a motorbike), I am sure in his view that's his exercise and that's great, because we all try to bend the rules to what is convenient for us. I am sure the other neighbour, who lives on the opposite side of the road is thinking "well, if it's OK for him to go out with his motorbike, then surely I am OK with going for a drive and stop to see if my mum is OK too... and maybe get a takeaway latte on my way home, or bring her one too" and so on... so who exactly is defaulting to the "stay at home" position?

What bad example are you setting? Well, to start with, if you are on Strava, surely everyone who follows you will think it's OK to go out for 4 hours... and then of course your neighbours who spy you going out and back will think it's OK to go to the park for 4 hours and catch a bit of sun... if then you ride and then walk the dogs, then it is OK to go to the park twice, or maybe spend the entire day there, why not?
  • DeVlaeminck
    So maybe a combination of what you feel like doing and peer pressure to stay indoors has led you to 90 minutes as your normal ride. Now you are trying to build a justification round that as acceptable or enough. I don't say consciously but that's typically what people are doing. Others will argue 30 minutes or stay indoors on zwift.

In truth if the relevant measure is time if 3 hours is wrong then 90 minutes is half as wrong.

I'd rather look at it logically - I could ride on the path on my local park for 15 and pass close to more people than I would on a 4 hour bike ride. My test is what harm is it doing - then am I breaking the law and likely to get caught, not what do my neighbours think.

I did initially set Strava to private but I've opened it up again because I actually think what I'm doing us fine and if it sets an example that others who perhaps felt inhibited about riding outdoors want to follow all to the good.