Show us your shed.

2»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667

rjsterry said:

capt_slog said:

Nice shed Mr Goo, loving the finish inside, just needs a bit more clutter :smile:

@step83 Nice bit of bench, is that homemade?

So much space! Nice bit of blossom, too. With all that knotty pine I half expected to see someone in a towel with a bunch of birch twigs 😁. Definitely needs some jam jars full of rusty screws.
    He either owns the Tardis or is the photographer for an estate agent
    "Deceptively spacious" :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

capt_slog said:

Nice shed Mr Goo, loving the finish inside, just needs a bit more clutter :smile:

So much space! Nice bit of blossom, too. With all that knotty pine I half expected to see someone in a towel with a bunch of birch twigs 😁. Definitely needs some jam jars full of rusty screws.
    He either owns the Tardis or is the photographer for an estate agent
    "Deceptively spacious" :)
    In London that shed of Goo's would be more like 'spacious Swiss style studio chalet' and have a price tag of about £1.5 million.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    capt_slog said:

Yes all home made, body is 3X2 timber painted black, top is two layers of 18mm ply three coats of linseed oil then waxed with a dark oak wax on top, trim round the edge of oak as well. Then brass strips round where the roller cabinet goes in as bash guards. trolley top is just a lump of 12mm ply again oiled an waxed all I need to do is build a drawer in the left side and drill some holes for bench dogs.

Needs cleaning up in there I want to put a rack up behind the bench but the up an over door restricts the allowable depth but I was in talks before the age of Covid to have a door an window put into the back wall of the garage so may hold off till thats done.

Got some very old tools I can start restoring in the mean time, my great grandfathers try square for example, quick clean found he stamped his name onto it. looks to be brass an ebony. A Bailey type 10 plane from 1907-1909. Plus some other tools, a bit an brace, a panel saw and Tenon saw plus some random parallel ruler, which appears more nautical so I think thats my great uncles.

Try square looks very much like this but the woods not rounded very much, an theres a lot more tarnish.

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    rjsterry said:

capt_slog said:

I'm all for clutter and storing loads of stuff.
    Was quite cluttered a week ago but got out the garden sofas and stuff now warm weather is here.
    Mrs Goo goes through my stuff like a plague locust in a wheat field. Am intending to turn part of it into office space, once the offspring have removed their bikes.
    Did get a quote to wire up to mains but 4 figure sum was somewhat off-putting as needed new RCD and 70 foot of armoured cabling.

Currently brewing wheat beer in it.

Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rjsterry
    step83 said:

capt_slog said:

Yes all home made, body is 3X2 timber painted black, top is two layers of 18mm ply three coats of linseed oil then waxed with a dark oak wax on top, trim round the edge of oak as well. Then brass strips round where the roller cabinet goes in as bash guards. trolley top is just a lump of 12mm ply again oiled an waxed all I need to do is build a drawer in the left side and drill some holes for bench dogs.

Needs cleaning up in there I want to put a rack up behind the bench but the up an over door restricts the allowable depth but I was in talks before the age of Covid to have a door an window put into the back wall of the garage so may hold off till thats done.

Got some very old tools I can start restoring in the mean time, my great grandfathers try square for example, quick clean found he stamped his name onto it. looks to be brass an ebony. A Bailey type 10 plane from 1907-1909. Plus some other tools, a bit an brace, a panel saw and Tenon saw plus some random parallel ruler, which appears more nautical so I think thats my great uncles.

Try square looks very much like this but the woods not rounded very much, an theres a lot more tarnish.

❤️ that square. I have a selection of my grandfather's tools from his joinery apprenticeship in Chatham Dockyard in the '20s. They were mostly second hand then and have both his and the previous owners' names stamped on them. Some must be 130 years old.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    edited April 2020
    Pross said:

Too many people seem to be posting a garage instead of a shed (I'm just jealous as I have nowhere I can leave my turbo set up which means I don't bother using it as much as I should).

Agree, I was confused why people were posting pics of garages although there are some great garages up there..

Here is mine, re-roofed (including new roof panels which had rotted on the left hand side after the felt roof wore away) and repainted forest green.

I had a good tidy and throw out of a load of old crap last month and it's looking pretty good now. I can actually see everything I need to use and actually get to it easily rather than clambering over other stuff

FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    edited April 2020
    inside left view and I took my cordless power tool and a box of assorted size screws and spent an hour or so hanging everything i could from the roof supports. you can see the new ship-lap timber on the roof. It doesn't look like it but it has been treated on both sides and painted on the upper side although still protected by roof felt.

FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    inside right, more tools and a few things that are too large to store properly and will disappear soon like a few lengths of timber and some guttering

FCN = 4
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    In my defence my shed is flat packed still so it would prove hard to show the inside.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I lost my shed when we extended the house. Garage has become a glorified shed now.
  • rjsterry
    Tashman said:

I lost my shed when we extended the house. Garage has become a glorified shed now.

This post needs to be read in a Southern drawl, to the sound of mournful country music.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    My winter/disc brake bike and the eldest son’s new Frog in the shed.

I’m lucky enough to have the turbo set up in the conservatory:

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I
    mtb-idle said:

inside left view and I took my cordless power tool and a box of assorted size screws and spent an hour or so hanging everything i could from the roof supports. you can see the new ship-lap timber on the roof. It doesn't look like it but it has been treated on both sides and painted on the upper side although still protected by roof felt.

I will be borrowing that idea
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

I

mtb-idle said:

I will be borrowing that idea
    Even better the previous owner had already done it
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Stevo_666 said:

We have a winner. Stop the thread now :)

WS, ever considered buying a light aircraft?

God no, I hate the sodding things... :smile:

We live in an area zoned for light aircraft training flights, and they drone about here on a regular basis. More than once I've googled how-to-make-your-own-surface-to-air-missile...

The guy who owned/built this place was a (professional) abalone diver / fisherman. That's a licence to print money, the licences alone are worth millions these days. The actual season is only about 20 weeks long or something and the rest of the year they do whatever. Most of them have "hobbies"... boats, jet skis, camper vans, motorbikes, cars... stuff.

In this shed he had a Winnebago, two (small) tractors, a truck and trailer, a forklift (!), a half-cabin boat, and a bunch of other stuff. Just beyond the bike in the foreground you can see the mechanics pit in the floor - it's a metre wide and about 6 metres long, about 1.5 metres deep. Did his own maintenance on vehicles for fun. The dodgy steel frame and beam above the bike is what he used to lift motors out of the boat with.

Way way back in the early 90s I had a mate who was an ab diver, owned a license. For the season he worked 20 weeks solid, not a day off. Had a BIG boat with a crew of about 5 I think. They would go out for 3 days at a time, dive and catch the abalone till the boat freezer was full, come back and offload it all, refuel and provision up and go straight back out. The abalone was on a plane out of here the same day, mostly to Japan and Asia.

After he'd paid ALL bills, the boat repayments, the crew wages, the freight bills, the whole lot, every 3 days he still cleared $32,000 on average. So they would do roughly 45 round trips a season, and he'd have made a clear 1.4 million bucks, and have 30 weeks to spend it.

That was 30 years ago. Abalone now was wholesaling at about $100 a kilo (until CV hit!). That and lobster (crayfish) are two of the biggest export revenue earners for Tasmania.

Great post and what I love about this forum. What a way to make a living, but I wouldn't do it for twice the profits! :dizzy:

That's one hell of a shed as well. I won't share a photo of mine - it's just a cupboard stuffed with bikes, tools, beer and cat food.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross said:

Mine. Just about functional but overcrowded storage space.

Is that a Scott Addict in HTC colours, sat without a rear wheel?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Ben6899 said:

Pross said:

Mine. Just about functional but overcrowded storage space.

Is that a Scott Addict in HTC colours, sat without a rear wheel?
    It's a CR1 but yes HTC colours and it's resting on the bike next to it as it was in and out onto the turbo every day back then. It's now back to gathering dust as my stress fracture has healed so I'm running again.