Netflix - Inside the Movistar Team 2019

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,568

I enjoyed it so much I am recreating it by getting my partner to shout "You have the balls!" at me while I'm on the turbo.

You should try it in bed too!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Just finished watching over the past few nights.

Great insight - appears to be total chaos - but the relationships appear to have totally broken down. Quintana is really quiet and isolated - such a damp cell ration when he gets his stage. Landa popular but doesn’t appear to read races well and Valverde appears to have all the race craft / ruthlessness of an old pro but clearly hates Quintana.

Not sure if it’s the language / culture but the team management come across as complete clowns.

Must be a nightmare working but that kind of environment.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,529
    gsk82 said:

I enjoyed it so much I am recreating it by getting my partner to shout "You have the balls!" at me while I'm on the turbo.

You should try it in bed too!
    Not if she doesn't want a sprint finish.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    edited April 2020
    It is not considered good form to celebrate coming first. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

Are you saying if I put Spanish subtitles off it would be Laura Mesegeur?

No, but if you watch the program via Spanish Netflix it will most likely have a different commentary. Putting on a new commentary makes more sense than subtitling a commentary
    It's a flipping Netflix problem this... Trying to watch a film about a Ski race which is German, but despite my parents being able to watch it with English Subtitles in the UK, I cant.

Fair you may say given I'm in Switzerland, but neither can I watch it in French or Italian subtitles which are also kinda big deals here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Series 2 comes out on Friday apparently

(I believe the kids say it 'drops' but don't see how gravity would effect a computer code)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Theyre refering to riders testicles no doubt...
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    ddraver said:

Theyre refering to riders testicles no doubt...

Hopefully does not apply to Valverde. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    mooro said:

Just finished watching over the past few nights.

Great insight - appears to be total chaos - but the relationships appear to have totally broken down. Quintana is really quiet and isolated - such a damp cell ration when he gets his stage. Landa popular but doesn’t appear to read races well and Valverde appears to have all the race craft / ruthlessness of an old pro but clearly hates Quintana.

Not sure if it’s the language / culture but the team management come across as complete clowns.

Must be a nightmare working but that kind of environment.

Surprised they win at times but they've always seemed like that. If you go to Ineos or JV you know what the deal is - the win above everything and if you get bumped hard luck. G.Thomas prob sweating about Bernal being in the TdF but is well paid and knows the system. Almeida over at DQS sees he is the leader (certainly now). Works for some eg Rohan Dennis but not others. Landa seems jump from team to team looking for the shot at the title. Quintana, so much promise and some good returns but not what was hoped
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,376
    I was struck by just how much it is Valverde's team. He's at the centre of every decision.
  • If the opening shot of series 2 isn't Valverde looking around and saying 'where did everyone go?', I'll be mighty disappointed
  • RichN95.
    I've caught up with series two. When a swan glides gracefully on the surface of the water there is busy paddling hidden from view. With Movistar, no matter how shambolic things appear on the surface, there's so much more chaos hidden from view. At one point so bad that they wiped the recordings from the in-car GoPros

I didn't realise that the 'did Movistar ride against Carapaz?' was quite a big thing in Spain
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    I'm not done yet but it's a great look into how difficult it is to be mid pack at the elite-ist level. I've also learned spanish from this show.

venga venga, vamos, enric, cajonesss venga va va tranquilo
  • pblakeney
    Onegear said:

I'm not done yet but it's a great look into how difficult it is to be mid pack at the elite-ist level. I've also learned spanish from this show.

I see you’ve picked up on the extent of the tactics already.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    Onegear said:

The only word that counts at Movistar is Bala
  • ddraver
    Watching this after today's excitement.

The bit showing the Einer/DeGendt spat when Ganna nipped off for the win is interesting. I kinda respect Einer for holding his hands up and saying, 'Yep - he was right... 🤷‍♂️'
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    So according to the Telegraph, Netflix are close to signing a deal with ASO and eight WT teams for a Drive to Survive style Tour de France documentary
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2022
    That's a stupid comment. You don't pull a stunt like that until the fourth season at the earliest.
    The third series is when shows get breakout appeal and the bandwagon gets rolling. People like me start watching*. The fourth series is when the show runner panders to us. Pogacar has got three good years until there's 10 gravel stages

*I was there for the first series of Line of Duty when it was on BBC2 though
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,169
    They're making a mistake in focusing solely on the Tour; only reinforcing the idea that 3 weeks in July is all the sport is.
    Why not include the pre Tour ASO 'prep' races.....??
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 503
    UAE apparently not taking part in the first series.

Don’t they want people to see what goes in behind the scenes?🤔
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ^^^ This is the problem of the DTS approach for cycling. It's scripted reality, just like TOWIE or Made in Chelsea. This works for F1 as the drivers as they have a lot of down time. With cycling they don't. It's race, eat, sleep repeat.

But if they can go down the Greenedge Backstage Pass route, they will maybe have a winner.

I'm interested that UAE turned them down, and Israel aren't one of the teams involved with their ready made 'injured legend struggling to come back' story
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,623
    RichN95. said:

^^^
    I'm interested that UAE turned them down, and Israel aren't one of the teams involved with their ready made 'injured legend struggling to come back' story

Not sure Froome would be happy with a film crew documenting his struggle to hang on to the peloton.
    Would help recoup the cost of his salary though.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 503
    RichN95. said:

^^^ This is the problem of the DTS approach for cycling. It's scripted reality, just like TOWIE or Made in Chelsea. This works for F1 as the drivers as they have a lot of down time. With cycling they don't. It's race, eat, sleep repeat.

But if they can go down the Greenedge Backstage Pass route, they will maybe have a winner.

Perhaps UAE don’t want anyone to see what goes on behind closed doors………..
  • pblakeney
    If I was running a minor team looking for exposure then sure. If I was running a top team then I wouldn't want the distraction, and money is less of an issue.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    roscoe said:

RichN95. said:

Perhaps UAE don’t want anyone to see what goes on behind closed doors………..
    wouldn't say it was a lot different to what happens behind all doors, tbh, unless you are saying that they are up to something no one else is?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Tour De France series announced 8 episodes 45 mins an episode and 8 teams. AG2R, Alpecin Bora, EF, FDJ, Ineos, Jumbo and Quickstep.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    andyrac said:

They're making a mistake in focusing solely on the Tour; only reinforcing the idea that 3 weeks in July is all the sport is.
    Why not include the pre Tour ASO 'prep' races.....??

Looks like filming actually started in March, and it's to run up to the end of he Tour. So I suspect their will be races up to the main event.
  • ddraver
    Poor Rick...

Drive to Survive has turned me into exactly the sort of plastic fan who repeats what ever the token journalist says, never watches the actual races and chooses who to support by how pwetty the car looks.

He's going to HATE this!

:wink:
    - @ddraver