The big silly thread

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ian Wright in a wig as Mrs Doubtfire

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    God I've got so many of these memes on WhatsApp but I fear the mods might ban me.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    shortfall said:

God I've got so many of these memes on WhatsApp but I fear the mods might ban me.

There must be at least a few that aren't racist.
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
  • kingstongraham
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    Is that called an echo chamber then?
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    No it's what a lot of people who aren't on cakestop share on WhatsApp. On the point about whether they're all racist I was wrong, some of them were very sexist and gingerist too. I would guess that I'm not the only person in cakestop who's seen them either.
  • kingstongraham
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    No it's what a lot of people who aren't on cakestop share on WhatsApp. On the point about whether they're all racist I was wrong, some of them were very sexist and gingerist too. I would guess that I'm not the only person in cakestop who's seen them either.
    An echo chamber that doesn't recognise itself as one then. Anyway, not for this thread.
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    An echo chamber that doesn't recognise itself as one then. Anyway, not for this thread.
    You can call it an echo chamber of you want. Other people might call it a WhatsApp group for adult humour. There's usually a video clip or two every day where that woman makes loud sex noises in the middle of an otherwise innocent video.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    I haven't seen anything about Harry and Meghan in my whatsapp because none of my friends give a shit about the whole episode. Pretty sure if they did, there wouldn't be anything racist in there.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.

But more importantly, were they funny?
  • shortfall
    elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    I haven't seen anything about Harry and Meghan in my whatsapp because none of my friends give a censored about the whole episode. Pretty sure if they did, there wouldn't be anything racist in there.
    I don't doubt it. But what is cakestop if it isn't a sort of WhatsApp group by another name? Loads of blokes (I think I'm safe in saying) posting silly things and sharing jokes. Bally has just posted one above about Oprah that I think is hilarious but no doubt others will find racist and distasteful.
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.

But more importantly, were they funny?
    Hell yes!

• ballysmate
    I've seen a fair few where the butt of the joke is the Queen, with racist comments being attributed to her. Very funny, but no doubt offensive on here because of the words put into the queen's mouth.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    There’s no denying that we can all find bad taste humour amusing.

The key is knowing something is not fit for public consumption and keeping it private. Not making out that the fact you can’t share it publicly is some kind of infringement on your liberties.
  • ballysmate
    Who has claimed their liberties have been infringed?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    I haven't seen anything about Harry and Meghan in my whatsapp because none of my friends give a censored about the whole episode. Pretty sure if they did, there wouldn't be anything racist in there.
    I don't doubt it. But what is cakestop if it isn't a sort of WhatsApp group by another name? Loads of blokes (I think I'm safe in saying) posting silly things and sharing jokes. Bally has just posted one above about Oprah that I think is hilarious but no doubt others will find racist and distasteful.
    The Ian Wright as Mrs Doubtfire one? Yeah, it as funny. I "liked" it, but its not racist.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shortfall
    morstar said:

The key is knowing something is not fit for public consumption and keeping it private. Not making out that the fact you can’t share it publicly is some kind of infringement on your liberties.

I agree and it wasn't my intention to suggest that.
  • morstar

Who has claimed their liberties have been infringed?

Anybody who has ever claimed that woke and PC behaviours making offensive stuff socially unacceptable are an infringement.

Decide for yourself.
  • morstar
    shortfall said:

morstar said:

I agree and it wasn't my intention to suggest that.
    Sorry, didn’t mean to imply you did.

• kingstongraham
    shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    It's not, because anyone can see what you post here.
  • shortfall
    edited March 2021

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    I don't see much of a distinction. Barring a tiny minority, the posters on here are anonymous, and unless they unwittingly share too much of themselves or happen to know each other by other means, whilst posting something inappropriate might get them a ban from the forum, it wouldn't necessarily cause them any problems at work etc.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    The Ian Wright as Mrs Doubtfire one? Yeah, it as funny. I "liked" it, but its not racist.
    A bit like calling a white bloke in thick rimmed glasses 'Joe 90'.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    I don't see much of a distinction. Barring a tiny minority, the posters on here are anonymous, and unless they unwittingly share too much of themselves or happen to know each other by other means, whilst posting something inappropriate might get them a ban from the forum, it wouldn't necessarily cause them any problems at work etc.
    One can only be seen by people in the closed group, the other is accessible to anyone and everyone. Can you not see the difference other than you might not get sacked for acting like a twunt.
  • pinno

blah..blah..blah..

You post here first and then claim you're working hard?!

So you really are a closet shirker.
    Respect but you should come out.

• shortfall
    edited March 2021

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    One can only be seen by people in the closed group, the other is accessible to anyone and everyone. Can you not see the difference other than you might not get sacked for acting like a twunt.
    Yes I see the difference but I don't see why it matters much. There are plenty of examples of people posting things in closed WhatsApp groups then getting the sack when the contents are brought to the attention of their employer. Anyways, I don't understand what the argument is about now. I chose not to share some memes on a forum I am a member of because I didn't want to get banned by the admins or to go out of my way to cause offence to someone I don't know but who might find the subject matter distasteful. But I'm getting flamed anyway?
  • pinno
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    Yes I see the difference but I don't see why it matters much. There are plenty of examples of people posting things in closed WhatsApp groups getting then getting the sack when the contents are brought to the attention of their employer. Anyways, I don't understand what the argument is about now. I chose not to share some memes on a forum I am a member of because I didn't want to get banned by the admins or to go out of my way to cause offence to someone I don't know but who might find the subject matter distasteful. But I'm getting flamed anyway?
    PC police.

Though, the lines are so blurred and there re so many people eager to get on the holier than thou offended on someone else's behalf bandwagon, it makes things often impossible.

• kingstongraham
    I can't think what prompted him to flee the country.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    pinno said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    Yes I see the difference but I don't see why it matters much. There are plenty of examples of people posting things in closed WhatsApp groups getting then getting the sack when the contents are brought to the attention of their employer. Anyways, I don't understand what the argument is about now. I chose not to share some memes on a forum I am a member of because I didn't want to get banned by the admins or to go out of my way to cause offence to someone I don't know but who might find the subject matter distasteful. But I'm getting flamed anyway?
    PC police.

Though, the lines are so blurred and there re so many people eager to get on the holier than thou offended on someone else's behalf bandwagon, it makes things often impossible.

Nobody can be holier than me as I identify myself as god.
    It is not permitted to argue with that. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Errrr. No.
    PC police.

As a member of the PC community, I find that offensive. I'll be convening a cancellation committee forthwith.