Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

friday keep calm and eat pineapple

'ning

coffee and stuff, the days blend into one, no plague please

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«1

Posts

  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,721
    Morning All. Today work will be full of BS and paperwork and idiots treading very softly after yesterdays fun. Will see how things pan out and possibly report back. Enjoy your Friday.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,778
    glad you're ok oxo
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, cold but dry and that horrible wind has dropped, not a lot on today after doing some household chores
    Oxo , pleased to here you are not suffering after yesterday’s incident, can you not raise a near miss?
    Have a good day
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,056
    Oxo please tell me you went out on the beers last night, so you look even worse today after their fuckup yesterday?

    WFH as travel starts to get restricted, shame as finally the weather looked ok for a hybrid commute (last nights was hard work)
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    tlw1 said:

    Oxo please tell me you went out on the beers last night, so you look even worse today after their fuckup yesterday?

    WFH as travel starts to get restricted, shame as finally the weather looked ok for a hybrid commute (last nights was hard work)

    The wind is still howling here but I'm making a go of it.
    I can't bring my laptop home on my bike :smile:
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,721
    Sorry folks no beer, that's tonight. LD. Will be raising the roof not just a near miss.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,778
    yep, co poisoning definitely counts as a hit, good thing the level wasn't high enough to take you down before you could react
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Morning, mayhem here as a couple of the big schools closed, just to liven up the week. So while we have a chunk of people in Aus, we have another chunk working from home now so the office is very very quiet.

    Anyway, was sunny now cold an grey all very boring here as the usual work this weekends been cancelled.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    Busy here, but office itself is quiet. Pedalled in today for a bit of fresh air and pox avoidance, may be the last one in a while. Getting a bit sick of 'scrubbing up' and rubbing vodka jelly into my hands on a very regular basis.

    I am definitely due a drink this evening even if its just drinking at home.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,934
    Currently keeping calm here, parents are back and in self isolation, trip to scottishland is still on next week, party is still on tomorrow night. Pre-party gathering is on tonight as well.

    The only thing in doubt is Outlaw in May depending on if the gov put a halt to more than 500 people gathering at an event, that hotel booking will have to wait.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Stevo_666 said:

    Busy here, but office itself is quiet. Pedalled in today for a bit of fresh air and pox avoidance, may be the last one in a while. Getting a bit sick of 'scrubbing up' and rubbing vodka jelly into my hands on a very regular basis.

    I am definitely due a drink this evening even if its just drinking at home.

    My hands are bone dry an sore from all the scrubbing we have to do currently
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    step83 said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    Busy here, but office itself is quiet. Pedalled in today for a bit of fresh air and pox avoidance, may be the last one in a while. Getting a bit sick of 'scrubbing up' and rubbing vodka jelly into my hands on a very regular basis.

    I am definitely due a drink this evening even if its just drinking at home.

    My hands are bone dry an sore from all the scrubbing we have to do currently
    I'm getting a bit of ribbing for having a pot of girly hand moisturiser on my desk in the office but I'm past caring. I don't want to end up looking like Davros.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    I suppose i'd better get myself down to A&E in the footsteps or our resident CO tester;



    Angle grinder kicked back on me, straight through the glove.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,056
    pinno said:

    I suppose i'd better get myself down to A&E in the footsteps or our resident CO tester;



    Angle grinder kicked back on me, straight through the glove.

    Bloodyhell
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,081
    edited March 2020
    Evening, Pinno,stop taking away the sympathy from Oxo, there isn't enough to go around.

    Serious note glad Oxo seems ok, well as ok as he ever was.Pinno, go get that cleaned up and heal up!

    Side question before it is posted in the workshop. picture below - any idea what the cover is? And where can I get it.


    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    Flâneur said:

    Evening, Pinno,stop taking away the sympathy from Oxo, there isn't enough to go around.

    Serious note glad Oxo seems ok, well as ok as he ever was.Pinno, go get that cleaned up and heal up!

    Side question before it is posted in the workshop. picture below - any idea what the cover is? And where can I get it.


    Heatshrink tube?
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,081
    Thanks Thistle, any idea where I can buy this store wise? rather not wait for amazon delivery
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,778
    generally used for sleeving wires, so stores selling electricians' stuff, diy, etc.

    there are umpteen different types, some shrink to be quite stiff which is probably not what you want, others are more flexible

    if it's to hold cables that need to flex i suggest use a few short bits of c.10 mm, that'll keep cable neat but still be flexy
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    Left work early to wfh as I was getting fed up (and stressed) of hearing increasing numbers of people coughing around me.

    So cycling home during the school run is an experience

    And strewth Pinno 😯 heal up soon
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,601
    I'd have said heatshrink too.

    Be careful buying it, it comes in a wealth of sizes and shrink ratios, and some of them also have a glue lining that is activated by the heat (basically hot-melt glue).


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,601
    edited March 2020
    If you fancy a business venture, open a pop-up flower shop.
    Top end of Norfolk maybe.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    pinno said:

    I suppose i'd better get myself down to A&E in the footsteps or our resident CO tester;



    Angle grinder kicked back on me, straight through the glove.

    Used to get a good ribbing for wearing these doing machine work.

    https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/mcr-safety-ct1014nf-nitrile-foam-kevlar-cut-resistant-gloves.html
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,721
    You wally pinno, get it dressed. Don't forget a mask before you go in. Cheers Flan, love you to. Screwfix stock various sizes, which is probably the easiest off the shelf place. It's possibly not heatshrink though just flexible sleeving, but heat shrink should do what you want. On beer virus front Lads school trip to Germany is cancelled, one very unhappy mini oxo.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    @thistle_(mbnw)

    PM me your address and take an approximate measurement of the diameter of the cable. I have oodles of heat shrink and generally, you have to buy a kit and you'll end up with a load of the stuff that you will never use.
    Just one point - you don't wrap it around, you have to slide it on in tube form (cut to length) and then heat it gently with a lighter/low flame. Without that facility, you can't use it.

    4 stitches me, couldn't use butterfly strips as it was too deep. No tendons/nerve damage.
    That pic was taken 5 hours after the event, wouldn't close up.
    I don't know how many times I have used an angle grinder and I mainly use no gloves, without incident. I always use safety glasses.

    Friday the 13th [insert rolling eyes icon]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    step83 said:


    Used to get a good ribbing for wearing these doing machine work.

    Hmm Kevlar. Might try them. Generally gloves reduce dexterity though.

    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    pinno said:


    Just one point - you don't wrap it around, you have to slide it on in tube form (cut to length) and then heat it gently with a lighter/low flame.

    Hairdryer on high heat is better,if you have one,plus less risk of burning yourself :)
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    pinno said:

    @thistle_(mbnw)

    PM me your address and take an approximate measurement of the diameter of the cable. I have oodles of heat shrink and generally, you have to buy a kit and you'll end up with a load of the stuff that you will never use.

    Thanks for the offer but I also have loads lying around but it goes quite hard when you shrink it so probably not much use for @Flâneur
    If he needs it tomorrow then maybe a local motor factors, RC model store, or a branch of RS or CPC.

  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    awavey said:

    Left work early to wfh as I was getting fed up (and stressed) of hearing increasing numbers of people coughing around me.

    So cycling home during the school run is an experience

    And strewth Pinno 😯 heal up soon

    Roads seem noticeably quieter round here which is great. The proportion of bell ends seems to be higher though.
    Ride home was nice and the wind had dropped, just got totally soaked.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,970
    @pinno No gloves eh. What about chainsawing? Shorts and sandals? The 'elf 'n' safety Elf is not always wrong, despite what some of our politico 'leaders', aye right, might pontificate.

    I always kit up fully. Just because, something might... Closest I've come is at the end of a day of hard work, getting tired, dropping big conifer trunks in 2m sections, on a ladder... saw kickback plus tree section topples 180° wrong, fortunately I go one way, the saw goes the other, the timber a 3rd. Soft landing for me. Chainsaw got mullered.

    Anyways, lesson learned eh. Glad you did not lose your thumb / hand.

    Happy days this March 13th innit.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737

    pinno said:

    @thistle_(mbnw)

    PM me your address and take an approximate measurement of the diameter of the cable. I have oodles of heat shrink and generally, you have to buy a kit and you'll end up with a load of the stuff that you will never use.

    Thanks for the offer but I also have loads lying around but it goes quite hard when you shrink it so probably not much use for @Flâneur
    If he needs it tomorrow then maybe a local motor factors, RC model store, or a branch of RS or CPC.

    Wrong person lol

    @Flâneur
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
Sign In or Register to comment.