Help me choose a dream bike

Hey,

I'm in the market for a dream bike ... 5-7k region. Some important bits for me:

- Electric shifting, really keen on wireless shifting
- Not too fussed over disk or rim brakes
- More interested in an aero style bike over a climber style
- Full carbon bike (given at this budget ...)
- Favour an "endurance" style bike

Currently ride a Boardman, had the frame since 2013, replaced / upgraded various components in that time. I'll consider all brands, although generally speaking supporting a British brand would be cool.

I do like the clean look of the Focus (german?) bikes ... the choice seems almost limitless though, open to suggestions!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The thing with 'dream bikes' is........you're supposed to have one in mind already...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yep. If you don't know what you want don't waste your cash on what we tell you to get.
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104

The thing with 'dream bikes' is........you're supposed to have one in mind already...

ha, just seems to be too much choice, which is why I'm struggling myself to pinpoint something!

Ribble seems a good brand .. ?
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,437
    Get one made to measure, put what u want on it
  • hostman
    fenix said:

Yep. If you don't know what you want don't waste your cash on what we tell you to get.

Hey I'm big enough and ugly enough to make my own decision, just looking for some suggestions from the collective hive mind.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    oxoman said:

Personally I'd get a titanium built to measure from one of the many UK builders.

^^
    This
  • imposter2.0
    hostman said:

ha, just seems to be too much choice, which is why I'm struggling myself to pinpoint something!

What, for a 'dream' bike..??
  • hostman

hostman said:

What, for a 'dream' bike..??
    I did say happy to support British brand ...
  • It's ready been said. Your dream bike is something you already know. I have 26 of them. One cost me £60. Dont confuse dream hike with expensive. It what ever floats your boat.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • fenix
    Nobody dreams of Ribble bikes. Yes they are great value but not a super bike.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    How about WyndyMilla? Well regarded bikes and you can get a custom paint job for originality.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • hostman
    fenix said:

Nobody dreams of Ribble bikes. Yes they are great value but not a super bike.

I didn't say super bike :)
  • hostman
    Longshot said:

How about WyndyMilla? Well regarded bikes and you can get a custom paint job for originality.

Certainly an option, only problem for me is distance, I'm up near Manchester, bit of a trek down to Surrey.
  • imposter2.0
    hostman said:

Longshot said:

Certainly an option, only problem for me is distance, I'm up near Manchester, bit of a trek down to Surrey.
    So you need a 'dream' bike, within reasonable travelling distance of Manchester. So, Ribble or Dolan then.

• Longshot
    hostman said:

Longshot said:

There's a nice tea shop next door to them if that helps?!
  • hostman

hostman said:

Longshot said:

So you need a 'dream' bike, within reasonable travelling distance of Manchester. So, Ribble or Dolan then.

Some dreams are worth travelling for, such as an evening with Jennifer Lawrence. For a custom bike? hmmm, perhaps not.
  • imposter2.0
    edited March 2020
    hostman said:

hostman said:

Longshot said:

Some dreams are worth travelling for, such as an evening with Jennifer Lawrence. For a custom bike? hmmm, perhaps not.
    So it's not a 'dream' bike then, is it. Usually, people tend to come out with names like Miyata, Daccordi, Colnago, Sarto, Serotta, etc when they talk about dream bikes. So far, we've got as far as Ribble and Dolan...

• hostman

hostman said:

hostman said:

Longshot said:

So it's not a 'dream' bike then, is it. Usually, people tend to come out with names like Miyata, Daccordi, Colnago, Sarto, Serotta, etc when they talk about dream bikes. So far, we've got as far as Ribble and Dolan...

Given I've only heard of Colnago in that list, I'm going to struggle to want a brand I've never heard of.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    oxoman said:

Personally I'd get a titanium built to measure from one of the many UK builders.

I'd go Firefly, outside of the UK. Off the peg I loved my S Works. A friend loves there Cevelo Project California and another has a custom lugged C60.

However a dream bike should be the colour/components that you crave.

Nothing wrong with craving an S Works or C60 etc, they may be off the peg but some people have a thing for them, like others do for an Aston Martin or a Fender.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Ricky Feather is in the York area, he can make you something pretty incredible.
  • imposter2.0
    hostman said:

Given I've only heard of Colnago in that list, I'm going to struggle to want a brand I've never heard of.

In which case, why were you asking for suggestions in your first post?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2020
    Given that you're wanting to stick with the big brands, I'd say just go to some bike shops, go fora test ride and see which bike you prefer in the flesh.
    There's no such thing as a bad bike at that price point but there can be the wrong bike. You say you want endurance but that's just a marketing term and the geometries of different 'endurance' bikes can vary greatly.

IMO it's important that you check out personal things such as fit and you can only do that by seeing the bikes in the flesh and when you make a decision get the shop to give you a proper bike fit.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    edited March 2020
    Colnago C64 with one of their special edition paint jobs.

Never seen a bad review of these bikes, and they often crop up in these type of threads or articles
  • fenix
    edited March 2020
    Do the legwork yourself. The best bit about a dream bike is the hunt for it.
    Read up. Check out bikes yourself.

When you get the dream bike - the first few rides are great and then it's just your normal bike...
  • hostman
    fenix said:

Do the legwork yourself. The best bit about a dream bike is the hunt for it.
    Read up. Check out bikes yourself.

When you get the dream bike - the first few rides are great and then it's just your normal bike...

This type of opinion really does baffle me, if everyone did that for every topic the forum wouldn't exist?
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    It is to be your dream bike correct? In which case how can anyone else advise you?
    If you don’t have any idea I would suggest waiting until you do rather than trying to force a purchase.
  • hostman
    yellowv2 said:

It is to be your dream bike correct? In which case how can anyone else advise you?
    If you don’t have any idea I would suggest waiting until you do rather than trying to force a purchase.

I'm after some suggestions for consideration ... ?

Thanks to those who have offered some suggestions, to the snobs, meh.
  • Longshot
    edited March 2020
    hostman said:

yellowv2 said:

I'm after some suggestions for consideration ... ?

In the interests of balance, they do have a point albeit it's just down to semantics. Most people would suggest (as above) "that a "dream bike" is a particular bike that you've been lusting after for some time and pretty much know every detail of its spec.

I'm not sure what term I'd use to describe what you're looking for "ultimate bike"? I doubt that works either.

Anyway, good luck with finding the right one. At that price it's almost certainly going to be a fantastic bike.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Have a read through this thread
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13109858/light-ish-disc-brake-road-bike-budget-of-4kish/p1
    OP in that was in the same position. Eventually went for buying a Factor frame and having it built up with Di2

You could go the same route with SRAM Etap if you want wireless
  • imposter2.0
    hostman said:

Pointing out your logical fallacy is not 'snobbery'.