So COVID 19 and your sportive

13»

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    edited March 2020
    Im surprised no-ones mentioned Ride London yet... ?
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    The Lincoln gran prix sportive ,and the lincoln gran prix have been cancelled, hopefully to be run later in the year
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    awavey said:

That just occurred to me yesterday too, searched online, but nothing out there.
    Guess it's too far away to make a decision now.

I have an airbnb booked, but can cancel at short notice.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • awavey
    daniel_b said:

awavey said:

That just occurred to me yesterday too, searched online, but nothing out there.
    Guess it's too far away to make a decision now.

I have an airbnb booked, but can cancel at short notice.
    Yes dont get me wrong I wasnt expecting a decision this early,they havent even cancelled Velo Brum yet, I was just surprised no one seems to have mentioned it yet not in cycling press,here, anywhere really
  • I booked the EuroTunnel last week to get to Etape, but really don’t think it will happen.

Thankfully it is a fully refundable booking as is the hotel.

• Looks like this weekend's Velo 29 Daffodil Sportive has now been cancelled. I thought they were pushing their luck a bit. How many would have turned up?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    im hoping even if this doesnt happen I can maybe get a few days in the Alps instead. I have flights booked so want to do something.

It's a long way off so who knows what will happen
  • awavey
    Velo Birmingham cancelled, I wonder where that leaves nationals this year then
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Velo Birmingham has been cancelled and refunds won't be given...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

Velo Birmingham has been cancelled and refunds won't be given...

whats the reason behind no refund ? When Velo south was called off the other year we all got a refund
  • It's all laid out in the statement. But put basically, if you want there to be even a fighting chance of a Velo 2021, they'll need the money.

I'm fine with it tbh, I work in the events industry and know how decimated it all is over this.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700

It's all laid out in the statement. But put basically, if you want there to be even a fighting chance of a Velo 2021, they'll need the money.

I'm fine with it tbh, I work in the events industry and know how decimated it all is over this.

I think there would be better ways of dealing with it, maybe a voucher for a future event or something, which is what Velo29 have done for the Cheshire Cat. I fully understand that if the insurance isn't covering it, they'll go out of business if they have to return all the entry fees, but it's an expensive event and a lot of people will be out of pocket and will be hesitant to give the company even more money to enter the next ride.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    The reality is that they will go out of business anyway and people will be left out of pocket for nothing
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Forgive my uncharitable view of Active Sport and Entertainment

1) they weren’t insured for this but included the possibility in their terms and conditions?

2) they are keeping the full amount. So without running the event they have the full value of entries so I can’t see any financial hardship for the company in this scenario. Yes they’ve incurred up front costs
    but not to the value of the full entry fee. They were full and opened the event to extra riders with the net outcome of incrementally increasing their cost base but greatly improving their bottom line.

3) the entry fee is too low to trigger s75 of the Consumer Credit act

4) the statement was weak and said more in what it didn’t say,
    It leaves a bad and I won’t be entering any events supported by this company or directors if they start again as their good name in my opinion is tarnished

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Struggle Dales not announced yet, but as it's the late May bank holiday weekend it seems very unlikely. Puncheur in Sussex moved back from April to Oct 4th. Was also supposed to be off to Flanders but fair play to Sports Tours they sorted out options including a refund pretty quickly.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    In the current climate - losing the cash that we've put down for such fripperies as sportives should be the least of our worries.

I've lost theatre tickets already and they are offering refunds - but if we all take them - there won't be a theatre after this.

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    The Freds cancelled and entries have been transferred to 2021.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ugo.santalucia
    fenix said:

In the current climate - losing the cash that we've put down for such fripperies as sportives should be the least of our worries.

I've lost theatre tickets already and they are offering refunds - but if we all take them - there won't be a theatre after this.

Many things they could do without offering a full refund... they could for instance transfer entries to 2021 and explain that next year's edition will be run a lower budget, because of Covid-19, so no goodie bags, no food on offer and no other silly frills like electronic time keeping and all sorts. Keep the roads closed only where is really needed and generally keep costs under control.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If they can transfer entries and still keep afloat then that's fine. But if they can't - I'd rather they kept my cash and were there for me next year.
  • ugo.santalucia
    fenix said:

If they can transfer entries and still keep afloat then that's fine. But if they can't - I'd rather they kept my cash and were there for me next year.

But you know they won't... their business model is too fragile... they have so far been able to deliver 2 events out of the 5 they planned, they probably need to be able to run 100% of them if they want to stay in business and it looks like they are a long way from achieving that.
    As for a 20,000 entries event happening in 2021... I'd say no chance.. people think we'll all be vaccinated by then, but I recall we thought the same about HIV in the late 80s, just a question of a few months before the vaccine... 30 years (and 100 million deaths) later we are still waiting
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,594
    Seems that ASO have cancelled their sportives for the year (L'Etape, Paris-Roubaix etc) and have offered vouchers to the value of your spend that are valid for 18 months ... it seems if they don't hold them by then they will refund.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612

Seems that ASO have cancelled their sportives for the year (L'Etape, Paris-Roubaix etc) and have offered vouchers to the value of your spend that are valid for 18 months ... it seems if they don't hold them by then they will refund.

I believe that approach is consistent with a new law brought in by the French to assist businesses over there.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,594
    mrb123 said:

I believe that approach is consistent with a new law brought in by the French to assist businesses over there.
    Yes, it also seems L’etape may still be on?
    I gave a Tour of Flanders sportive place pending so am awaiting news from them now.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Gent Wevelgem was obviously postponed, but i'm starting to get optimistic about heading over to Oudenaarde or Valkenburg in September for a long weekend of cycling, following some signed routes.
    Other option is to find a base in the middle of some Paris-Roubaix sectors and do a couple of our own loops taking in some sectors. Anyone done similar?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....