Ultegra Di2 8050 v Dura Ace 9100

2»

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

However, something I did notice, but couldn't try out, was that Di2 might be a bit more fiddly in the winter with full finger gloves. The buttons are not as obviously as a separate lever. If you don't plan to use it in winter with gloves, then this wouldn't make any difference though.

Not at all.

I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

I found when I made the switch to DI2 I ended up changing gear a lot more, it's just easier, quicker, I think about it less, I don't know why, but I do. Being in the right gear over the top of hill, etc... is a benefit to me. Sure, you can do this with mechanical, I am sure other people do, but for whatever reason, I didn't/don't. And it's not a case of a lack of experience as i've been riding a bike for 28 years and racing for 12, plenty of mechanical gear changes over that time.

When I was looking for the groupset for my new bike DI2 was a must. I have an older commute bike with 105 and sure, it's nice, smooth-shifting, etc... it's a very nice groupset for sure, just not the same for me.

Given the difference of opinion, perhaps you should try and organise a test ride on a DI2 bike, borrow from a friend? Get a rental? Go to a shop and try one out?

I think a test ride will be my next port of call. Hopefully I can try out both to make a comparison.