S*** small races February 2020

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    ^that looked like a proper race. Sunshine, architecture, narrow streets, crowds, proper fight to the finish.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,434
    At least one of the riders (Trentin) wasn't happy with the finish and complained to the UCI on Twitter
    Hey @DLappartient ,why at uci you don't make a real race safety analysis of the parcour we do in our races. Today was just crazy..the downhill was far to be safe and the finish line was an absolute joke. Who in @UCI_cycling did omolagate this has to take responsability!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    Tour de Provence currently 5k left to the finish on Ventoux. Hard to follow on ES player as ambient sound only and limited graphics. When I switched on with 20k to go a DQS rider had a lead of over 5 minutes. Arkea worked to close it on the early slopes of the climb. Quintana now soloing to victory with 50 odd seconds over a group of 3 (Carthy, Lutsenko and AN Other).
  • Pross
    Dunbar having a good ride in group 3 but Quintana looks like his old self here. 1' 25" lead with 1.5k to go.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Pross said:

Tour de Provence currently 5k left to the finish on Ventoux. Hard to follow on ES player as ambient sound only and limited graphics. When I switched on with 20k to go a DQS rider had a lead of over 5 minutes. Arkea worked to close it on the early slopes of the climb. Quintana now soloing to victory with 50 odd seconds over a group of 3 (Carthy, Lutsenko and AN Other).

Its on gcn with erm... "commentary"
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    edited February 2020
    Quintana smashed it, early days but it looks like he's settling into his new team. They did a superb job setting that up for him. Lutsenko 2nd about 1' 35" down after nearly messing up the final corner, pushing Carthy into 3rd after he started the sprint early in what seemed too bid a gear. Dunbar leads in group 3 for 5th I think.

Edit - results changed to show Wilco 5th and Dunbar 6th just ahead of Pinot. Quality top 10 for an early season race.
  • I'm pretty sure Eddie Dunbar finished ahead of Kelderman.
    Super Quintana finds his best July form in February.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx
    Reminds me why I once thought Nairo was special. Love to see him ride like that in a GT again.
  • Pross

I'm pretty sure Eddie Dunbar finished ahead of Kelderman.
    Super Quintana finds his best July form in February.

I thought so too, the provisional results showed it that way too then it got revised. Very odd!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Mad_Malx said:

Reminds me why I once thought Nairo was special. Love to see him ride like that in a GT again.

It looked to me like he'd lost some weight.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Pross said:

That was young Aleksandr Vlasov, Lutsenko's teammate and winner of the Baby Giro in 2018, who had won the previous stage. That 'interesting' shirt he was wearing was the race leader's jersey. It was smart tactics from Astana,I thought, when he bridged to his teammate Lutsenko who immediately went to the front to work for him, but Quintana was simply way too strong for them.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Final stage of The Tour of Colombia on now. 40km to go. As far as I can make out, there is a climb to the finish starting at about 10km to go. EF currently have a clean sweep of the podium thanks to smashing the TTT and a fairly uninspiring route.
    Live coverage (Spanish commentary) is here on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpyCGgl6yu4
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm said:

Final stage of The Tour of Colombia on now. 40km to go. As far as I can make out, there is a climb to the finish starting at about 10km to go. EF currently have a clean sweep of the podium thanks to smashing the TTT and a fairly uninspiring route.

Errr, I am guessing that was actually a replay of stage 5, since the final stage coverage isn't due until 5pm GMT today.

The finish from yesterday.

• Quintana 28.12 to Reynard . Fastest ever. All others going to top apart from 2016 Tour - Mollema 29.24
    Mayo's fairy dust 2004 TT effort (and record) went through at 29.00

Super fast still for February
    Eg Froome and Quintana went through in 30.53 in 2013

There was that turn it yesterday at the finish onto the Sault road so real time 27.45 ISH if it had been straight to Reynard?
  • Quintana 28.12 to Reynard . Fastest ever. All others going to top apart from 2016 Tour - Mollema 29.24
    Mayo's fairy dust 2004 TT effort (and record) went through at 29.00

Super fast still for February
    Eg Froome and Quintana went through in 30.53 in 2013

There was that turn it yesterday at the finish onto the Sault road so real time 27.45 ISH if it had been straight to Reynard?

Eight seconds quicker than Marco Pantani’s previous record of 28-20 at the 1994 Tour de France, according to CW.
    He was chasing Eros Poli to the top though, but as you say, without having to negotiate that turn.

Extremely high numbers based upon available data from other riders.
  • Lutsenko a minute off that pace in February!. So it seems the next three would have beaten Mollema in the Tour
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    The Mollema time was on a day of extremely high winds. By some accounts, Quintana had a strong tailwind for most of the climb, plus much more road to use as it wasn't lined with fans, who'd spent hours waiting for the race to pass.
  • andyp said:

The Mollema time was on a day of extremely high winds. By some accounts, Quintana had a strong tailwind for most of the climb, plus much more road to use as it wasn't lined with fans, who'd spent hours waiting for the race to pass.

yes but still shows what form Quintana is in already. This isn't a 'I don't believe it thread' more of how impressive it was.

although the Russian champion also has some very fine form at the moment :#
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited February 2020
    Still a lot of racing today. A favourite ride through the Luberon

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    edited February 2020
    andyp said:

Mollema also crashed
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp

although the Russian champion also has some very fine form at the moment :#

It's not as if he's appeared from nowhere. He won the Baby Giro a couple of years ago, and has a really good record as an u23 rider, especially in mountainous stage races.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited February 2020
    andyp said:

Not according to the coverage. Seemed to be very little wind at all. Same as the days before.

Stage 4 break: Combaud, Doull, Garrison and Brandle.

Peloton in bits early on, now re-grouped.
  • andyp
    Indeed, on the GCN coverage they were saying barely any wind, but some people on Twitter were saying there was a strong tailwind, hard to know who was right as the GCN commentator was Kirby and I always ignore anything he says.
  • Mad_Malx
    Breakaway just hold on for Doull to take it.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    andyp said:

Indeed, on the GCN coverage they were saying barely any wind, but some people on Twitter were saying there was a strong tailwind, hard to know who was right as the GCN commentator was Kirby and I always ignore anything he says.

Kirby wouldnt have been onsite so Twitter is more likely to be correct
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

Errr, I am guessing that was actually a replay of stage 5, since the final stage coverage isn't due until 5pm GMT today.

The finish from yesterday.

Massively embarrassed. The 12 hour time difference between here and there is my lame excuse.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    Mad_Malx said:

Really enjoyed that. I was convinced they would be caught right up until the final kilometre. The whole race has been an interesting watch in my opinion.
    Team My Man 2022:

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    DeadCalm said:

Mad_Malx said:

Really enjoyed that. I was convinced they would be caught right up until the final kilometre. The whole race has been an interesting watch in my opinion.
    Provence is the Yorkshire of France.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    andyp said:

Strong foehn wind today, even I could beat Pantani's time on the Ventoux today :-)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Before the Tour of Colombia started I said it was a disappointing parcours and sadly the race matched it. A pity after a great race last year.
    Twitter: @RichN95