Light(ish) disc brake road bike - budget of £4kish

Its time to move to the dark side so I'm on the look out for a new disc brake road bike.

It needs to be an all rounder what can be used for racing, hilly rides and 100+ mile days in the saddle.

For reference, by current bikes are an S-Works Tarmac SL6 and a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX and both weigh around 7.2kg.

I have a budget of around £4k but could increase this a bit for the right bike.

I have been looking at a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc (2020) and my LBS is running a 20% discount until the end of January which brings it down to around £3600 but I have to make my mind up this week.

Are there any other options I should consider before taking the plunge? I've been doing plenty of research but the problem is most manufacturers don't publish the weights of the whole bike and for info I can find, most are around 8kg which is quite an increase from my current bikes.

Electronic gearing is a must, so at that price point it will probably either by Ultegra DI2 or Force AXS Etap.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    One manufacturer that does publish the weights of its bikes is Rose.

For just a smidge over your budget £4037 you can pick the X-Lite Six Disc Ultegra Di2. Complete bike weighs in at 6.9kg - which is quite impressive for a disc equipped offering.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite-six-disc-ultegra-di2-2675789

I bought a non-disc X-Lite Four in 2018 and the delivered weight was as claimed on their spec.

Online purchase only but they do have a UK source of demo bikes apparently based in Sutton-in-Ashfield. They do have a Facebook page (@rosebikesuk)
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Thanks for the reply. I had looked at the Rose and it definitely ticks all the boxes with the exception of one which is the colour as it is only available in black or black blue and I'm hoping for a decent colourway
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/orbea-orca-omx-m10i-ltd-d-review/

I really like the looks of these new Orbeas. Epic Cycles are stocking them.

You won't see too many of them around, plus you can choose your own colour schemes at no additional cost.
  • dazz_ni45
    mrb123 said:

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/orbea-orca-omx-m10i-ltd-d-review/

You won't see too many of them around, plus you can choose your own colour schemes at no additional cost.

Glad you mentioned it as it was one of the bikes on my shortlist along with the new Supersix. They do look great and and introduce a bit of aero. I had sent Epic a message on Friday but it would have to be the M20i variant and its pushing the budget at £5k. I also wasn't sure about Orbea as a brand. The TCR is tried and tested but part of me is concerned that the TCR may be a little bit too aggressive
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Serious question, why is a few hundred grammes so important to you in the grand scheme of things?
  • dazz_ni45
    I wouldn't mind if it was a few hundred grams, but its generally around 1kg which is very noticable (in my opinion). If I can find a bike within 500g of my current bikes then I would be happy with that
  • shortfall
    edited January 2020
    dazz_ni45 said:

I wouldn't mind if it was a few hundred grams, but its generally around 1kg which is very noticable (in my opinion). If I can find a bike within 500g of my current bikes then I would be happy with that

Honestly, the only time I ever notice much difference in weights between bikes is when I pick them up. On the road not so much. It's your money but even a 1kg difference is still only a few hundred grammes and you could be writing off a lot of good bikes that fit your bill for the sake of bragging rights. If you really can feel the difference then fair enough.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    dazz_ni45 said:

mrb123 said:

Glad you mentioned it as it was one of the bikes on my shortlist along with the new Supersix. They do look great and and introduce a bit of aero. I had sent Epic a message on Friday but it would have to be the M20i variant and its pushing the budget at £5k. I also wasn't sure about Orbea as a brand. The TCR is tried and tested but part of me is concerned that the TCR may be a little bit too aggressive
    I've just collected a Orca OMX Di2. First impressions are pretty good. I didn't buy from Epic Cycles, but I've used them with past bikes and I can only say positive things - they'll also offer you around 12% discount from RRP..

Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • dazz_ni45
    teebs_123 said:

dazz_ni45 said:

mrb123 said:

I've just collected a Orca OMX Di2. First impressions are pretty good. I didn't buy from Epic Cycles, but I've used them with past bikes and I can only say positive things - they'll also offer you around 12% discount from RRP..

Looks fantastic, congrats on the purchase.

What size/spec did you go for and would you happen to know what weight it is?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Ahh, new bike time! Best way to get through the winter blues if you ask me.

Out of interest, what is your current s-works tarmac kitted out with? Im curious because I have the sl5 with full dura ace (di2) and 40mm roval wheels and it weighs in at 6.7kg, so was surprised to read your sl6 was 7.2kg.

With your budget you will be able to get a cracking deal on a 2019 model.
    Defo give epic cycles a shout, they are local to me and one of the best bike shops you will find. Also check all the usual online stores (sigma, Paul's cycles, wheelbase, etc) as some heavily reduced bikes about.

• dazz_ni45
    redvision said:

Ahh, new bike time! Best way to get through the winter blues if you ask me.

Out of interest, what is your current s-works tarmac kitted out with? Im curious because I have the sl5 with full dura ace (di2) and 40mm roval wheels and it weighs in at 6.7kg, so was surprised to read your sl6 was 7.2kg.

With your budget you will be able to get a cracking deal on a 2019 model.
    Defo give epic cycles a shout, they are local to me and one of the best bike shops you will find. Also check all the usual online stores (sigma, Paul's cycles, wheelbase, etc) as some heavily reduced bikes about.

I think I missed the best of the 2019 deals especially in my common size 56.

I was a bit surprised at the s-works weight as well. It’s Ultegra Di2 with Roval CLX 50. My weight does include pedals and it’s the Sagan version so there is bit of extra weight in the paint finish. Everything else is pretty much stock (s-works stem, aerofly bars etc)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    That is surprising, like I say, my sl5 is 6.7kg with pedals, granted it's in 54cm though and the rovals are 40mm. I wouldn't expect this and the special edition paint to weigh an extra half kilo though.

Anyway, there are still some cracking deals about, especially if you're not fixated on one particular brand/ model.

Keep an eye out for discounts on boardmans, focus, cannondale as well as giants etc, and might be worth popping in to your local bike shop to see what's left on sale.

Also worth noting we are only a couple of months from seeing the 2021 models, and this usually coincides with discounts on the 2020 ranges.

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I was going to suggest a Specialized Tarmac SL6 Disc Expert which can be had for £3k. Maybe switch out the standard c38 wheels for CL50's and you still be under budget.

But it's not electronic shifting.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    This Cube looks like it meets your parameters aside from only being available in boring black:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/cube-agree-c62-slt-2020-carbon-road-bike-black_477565

Speaking of Cube there's also this for a bargain if you fit a 54cm frame and the paint job is a bit more exciting. According to Cube's website it's 7.3kg

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Litening-C-62-Race-Disc-2019-Road-Bike_200179.htm
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    dazz_ni45 said:

teebs_123 said:

dazz_ni45 said:

mrb123 said:

Looks fantastic, congrats on the purchase.

What size/spec did you go for and would you happen to know what weight it is?
    Thanks, it's the Ultegra Di2 version with the upgraded Mavic wheels, 55cm. I've not weighed it but various publications have put it just under 8kg. I've bought it to be a complete all-rounder, chain-gangs, club-runs etc so weight wasn't the priority.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • What's your view on the 2020 Scott Addict RC range? Have you considered them? Was looking at them myself but can't find much online in the way of how they ride.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dazz_ni45
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. My shortlist has come down to:

Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc - available for £3700
    Orbea Orca OMX (Ultegra DI2 Disc) - been told it won't be available to June due to demand
    Scott Addict RC15 Disc
    Cannondale Supersix Evo Force AXS Etap (Ultegra Di2 only seems to come in the Hi-Mod version which is out of budget)
    Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Aero

Another option is to buy a 2019 SL6 Tarmac S-Works Disc Frameset and built it up with Ultegra Di2 and a set of handbuilt wheels which I can probably do for just under £5k and I know the frame fits me as I own the rim brake version. Only problem is it will have to either be the black or purple/red frameset.

Going to try the Giant for size tomorrow and I have to decide before Friday if I am taking it but something is just holding me back even though it is the cheapest. I might either go for the s-works or wait for some of the other options to come down in price a bit.

Decisions decisions!
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    I was looking for similar, albeit started with a lower budget. I was all on for one of the Rose options (tho kept flitting) and whilst waiting for the Notts store to get a certain size in - Canyon upgraded the ultimate to have the Di2 with the Ant+ in the bars and the whole package just seemed the best value.
    Mine gets shipped next week (I did order way back in Nov though).
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    With that budget, I wouldn't want a big name brand bike. I'd be onto Enigma to see what I could get from them, it might be over your target weight, but it will be built for you and you can spec it like you want. Same goes for Reilly, maybe Kinesis, lots of other options. I'd want something different to what I already had, and all these choices seem pretty similar, to me anyway...
  • davep1 said:

With that budget, I wouldn't want a big name brand bike. I'd be onto Enigma to see what I could get from them, it might be over your target weight, but it will be built for you and you can spec it like you want. Same goes for Reilly, maybe Kinesis, lots of other options. I'd want something different to what I already had, and all these choices seem pretty similar, to me anyway...

You basically ignored the OP's requirements and stated what you would get (with totally different requirements!)

I do like this forum ;)
  • shortfall
    edited January 2020

davep1 said:

You basically ignored the OP's requirements and stated what you would get (with totally different requirements!)

I do like this forum ;)
    I don't think he ignored the OPs requirements at all, he pointed him in the direction of some bikes that would fit all his criteria except the least important one (weight, with the caveat that we don't know what kind of racing he does and to what standard).
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836

davep1 said:

I do like this forum ;)
    How so? He's got two similar bikes already, and wants to dump £4k on something that isn't much different? Do you know much about Enigma? I personally can't tell the difference between an 8 kg bike and a 9 kg bike, whether picking it up or riding it. Why not go for something different, a little (or a lot) bespoke? Why go for (another) Audi or BMW when you can have a Lotus?
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 220
    My Kinesis GF Ti is 8.6kg with Dura ace mechanical, 40mm carbons with hope hubs, a600 SPD pedals and other bits that are not totally weight weenie.

I suspect an Ultegra Di2 build wouldn't be much different, you'd get exactly what you want so would save on all the things you would change on a stock bike etc

Thats if you want to move away from carbon. Ti is different feeling for sure, and I don't race mine, but its maybe something to consider?
  • If i'm not too late to this party, what about Ribble?

Theres the option to fully customise your colourway and each component.

Just specced up an SL Disc, with custom colour, dura-ace di2 and it came in under £4k.
  • Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I do want to keep the bike to as close to 7kg as possible, so something around the 7-7.5kg is ideal.

I also tend to sell on my bikes after a year or two so something that is in "demand" second hand is preferable.

I've ruled the Giant of my list. Appreciate it is a good frame, having seen one in the flesh, it just isn't for me, especially in that colourway.

Has anyone any opinions or direct experience with a Factor 02? I can probably have one built within my budget and they reviews are limited but positive. It would also be a bit different, especially in Ireland.