S*** small races 2020 - January - *Spoilers*

Comments

• inseine said:

Nice win by Nizzolo and a rare win for the team. Viviani nowhere again

Crashed
  • Italian one two. In Australia. In January.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Well Porte takes the overall as expected but Brit Matt Holmes gets the stage win to deny Porte for the first time in 7 years or something. Terrific in his first WT race.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    inseine said:

Well Porte takes the overall as expected but Brit Matt Holmes gets the stage win to deny Porte for the first time in 7 years or something. Terrific in his first WT race.

"I've never really raced up a climb. I've been stuck in Britain for the last six years, which is not a bad thing. This is my second hilltop finish this week, and it seems to suit me."
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • So Porte went up that the fastest he's ever done it ( 6.20?) in the last seven years and with a crosswind. Makes Valverdes 7.24 look pedestrian
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    RichN95. said:

Terrible to hear about the death of Xavier Prince after an accident at the Tour of the Antilles. My thoughts are with his family and Team Storm at this difficult time

When that started I said to Mrs P that it wouldn't be long until PEDs got brought into it.

Second crime drama I've seen in a couple of weeks set around a bike race and both had PED plots. The other was the Mallorca Files and was set around the Tour of Mallorca which they described as one of the biggest races on the planet 😂

The lack of any knowledge or research that goes into these things makes me laugh, there was a scene in that one where the top pro cyclist dropped hi non-bib shorts and was wearing underwear, it could lead to impressionable cyclists suffering severe chaffing if they think that's the way to do things!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Terrible to hear about the death of Xavier Prince after an accident at the Tour of the Antilles. My thoughts are with his family and Team Storm at this difficult time

When that started I said to Mrs P that it wouldn't be long until PEDs got brought into it.

Second crime drama I've seen in a couple of weeks set around a bike race and both had PED plots. The other was the Mallorca Files and was set around the Tour of Mallorca which they described as one of the biggest races on the planet 😂

The lack of any knowledge or research that goes into these things makes me laugh, there was a scene in that one where the top pro cyclist dropped hi non-bib shorts and was wearing underwear, it could lead to impressionable cyclists suffering severe chaffing if they think that's the way to do things!
    Was it as bad as the mid summer murders bike race episode a couple of years ago?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    gsk82 said:

inseine said:

"I've never really raced up a climb. I've been stuck in Britain for the last six years, which is not a bad thing. This is my second hilltop finish this week, and it seems to suit me."
    I don’t want to get too dewy-eyed about this, but do you remember when the best domestic riders went abroad to race (with the exception of about 5 well known, er, exceptions) and got spanked the moment they were up against anyone foreign...?

• Another year in San Juan, another Quick Step story.

This time they have complained about time loses incurred by the riders involved in the big crash, just outside the 3 km boundary.
    Apparently the crash was caused by a spectator stepping out for a better view.

The jury will make a decision around midday CET time.

Meanwhile, none of the big name sprinters made the podium, even though they started their sprints in front.

1 Rudy Barbier
    2 Manuel Belletti
    3 Tomas Contte
    4 Juan Molano
    5 Alvaro Hodge
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    It must be so galling having these kinds of crashes in training races.
  • Some issues with the finish line as well?
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310

gsk82 said:

inseine said:

I don’t want to get too dewy-eyed about this, but do you remember when the best domestic riders went abroad to race (with the exception of about 5 well known, er, exceptions) and got spanked the moment they were up against anyone foreign...?

Titchy Richie doesn't really count as foreign though, as he's anglophone and a subject of the British Empire. Same consideration for the TDU in general, it's not full of Frenchies/Spanish/Cloggies/Belgians/Italians pointing and laughing at you in their own language, on their own roads (and that's just your teammates)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Still galls me that you get the same UCI points for the Tour Down Under as Paris Nice or Paris-Roubaix.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    That is rough.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ocdupalais
    rick - if you're looking for a hat-rick usage of the word 'gall' or a variant in your next post, I've got one for you;
    da gall dem sugar.
  • ocdupalais

gsk82 said:

inseine said:

Titchy Richie doesn't really count as foreign though, as he's anglophone and a subject of the British Empire. Same consideration for the TDU in general, it's not full of Frenchies/Spanish/Cloggies/Belgians/Italians pointing and laughing at you in their own language, on their own roads (and that's just your teammates)
    And it's on that basis that I'm very glad to acknowledge the most excellent victory in the 2016 Paris-Roubaix of the Queen's loyal subject, Matthew Hayman.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited January 2020

There are some British cycling fans who yearn for the days of 2004 when we had to pretend Robbie McEwen and Magnus Backstedt were British for some local interest at the Tour. Quite a few older journalists too I think.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

There are some British cycling fans who yearn for the days of 2004 when we had to pretend Robbie McEwen and Magnus Backstedt were British for some local interest at the Tour. Quite a few older journalists too I think.

Talking of 2004, Oscar Sevilla found his way back there, last night.
  • rick_chasey

rick - if you're looking for a hat-rick usage of the word 'gall' or a variant in your next post, I've got one for you;
    da gall dem sugar.

Imagine being a top level WT rider, and some guy who celebrated his 20th birthday *this week* smashes you in a TT. Galling.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

da gall dem sugar.

Imagine being a top level WT rider, and some guy who celebrated his 20th birthday *this week* smashes you in a TT. Galling.

Personally I'd be more galled by being beaten by the 43 year old climber in third
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    It's too early for gall.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • 15 minutes of highlights of the first leg of the Mallorca Challenge.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/ciclismo/ciclismo-challenge-ciclista-mallorca-1-jornada-trofeo-ses-salines-felanitx/5497620/?pais=GB

Was scheduled to be shown on Eurosport, but for the second time this season already, the "home of cycling" renege on previously advertised coverage.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited January 2020
    The queen stage of the Vuelta a San Juan Internacional takes place this evening from 7pm UK time.
    There should be a live race feed here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJM0vXxotCWVHJCJJ1hBbqQ
  • Guillaume Martin looks good for Cofidis this year. Getting some support for the climber he is
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Cracking race for the Elite women at the CX World’s today. Rain forecast overnight could make the men’s a very attritional race with MvDP fave regardless.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    Pretty dull course. Needs a lot of rain on it to make it interesting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ocdupalais
    And someone coming up with a new rule that means MVDP has to give everyone a free lap.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    QS can't stop winning as Devenyns takes what sounded like an entertaining Cadel Evans race and Stybar wins at San Juan.