Harry and Meghan stepping aside

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    So no reference to race or nationality then?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459

So no reference to race or nationality then?

:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Oh come on, even the Daily Heil editors are not that stupid.

And no way am I going BTL in that world...the first few (of thousands) of comments were about a Fake pregnancy. What a demographic.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    orraloon said:

Ooh, you got me there. Daily Heil subscriber. Jings, that's me outed twice in a week, first as a terrorist sympathiser by resident B3llendster now as a cryptofascist.

No it was as result of a post in similar discussion thread on YACF where a comparison has been drawn between the guttersnipe journalism approaches to the behaviours while pregnant of Ms Middleton and Ms Markle. Did a google to confirm whether the point raised was valid. First hit.

And of course it's a year old...duh.

No I wouldn't bother reading that shite, I only skimmed it, but is clearly designed to create and force differences in attitude to those 2 women in the minds of the Gullibles.

Now, see if I can spot any differences between them? One is English, white and stays schtum, the other is 'Merican, black and visible / vocal.

I ain't no royalist, but I am not happy with reading such deliberately divisive cr4p being machine fed to the masses.

Doth the man protest too much.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

I have little sympathy for the Royals generally but I do admire these two for trying to get away. As I understand it "senior" Royals are not allowed to work. How that can be imposed I don't know but I think part of it is to stop the employing businesses from getting any advantage through employing a Royal. That's why so many join the forces - there is no advantage to be had.

Andrew's offspring (not "senior" Royals) apparently have "ordinary" jobs but as far as I can see they seem to be operating at levels in excess of their ability and, cynically perhaps, it seems they have these positions as a result of being a Royal.

Good luck To H & M, they will be bettor off out if and no doubt the press will follow them around like little lost lambs until they realise their is no story to be had.

If they are to earn the millions they expect, how will they do that if they are starved of the oxygen of publicity?
    The same way as everyone else who earns millions without attracting attention. Make some good investments.
    Invest the money they receive from Charlie?
    How is that financial independence?
    They have apparently set up Sussex Royal. Com and have the trademark. That is their cash cow.
    It’s Charles’ money, he can do what he like with it, no?

Course he can. But how is poncing off his old man in any way financial independence?
    I guess when you’re a royal not being on what is essentially “royal benefits” is being financially independent.

• ballysmate

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

I have little sympathy for the Royals generally but I do admire these two for trying to get away. As I understand it "senior" Royals are not allowed to work. How that can be imposed I don't know but I think part of it is to stop the employing businesses from getting any advantage through employing a Royal. That's why so many join the forces - there is no advantage to be had.

Andrew's offspring (not "senior" Royals) apparently have "ordinary" jobs but as far as I can see they seem to be operating at levels in excess of their ability and, cynically perhaps, it seems they have these positions as a result of being a Royal.

Good luck To H & M, they will be bettor off out if and no doubt the press will follow them around like little lost lambs until they realise their is no story to be had.

If they are to earn the millions they expect, how will they do that if they are starved of the oxygen of publicity?
    The same way as everyone else who earns millions without attracting attention. Make some good investments.
    They have apparently set up Sussex Royal. Com and have the trademark. That is their cash cow.

Course he can. But how is poncing off his old man in any way financial independence?
    I guess when you’re a royal not being on what is essentially “royal benefits” is being financially independent.

You didn't believe that even as you typed it did you?
  • orraloon said:

Ooh, you got me there. Daily Heil subscriber. Jings, that's me outed twice in a week, first as a terrorist sympathiser by resident B3llendster now as a cryptofascist.

No it was as result of a post in similar discussion thread on YACF where a comparison has been drawn between the guttersnipe journalism approaches to the behaviours while pregnant of Ms Middleton and Ms Markle. Did a google to confirm whether the point raised was valid. First hit.

No I wouldn't bother reading that shite, I only skimmed it, but is clearly designed to create and force differences in attitude to those 2 women in the minds of the Gullibles.

Now, see if I can spot any differences between them? One is English, white and stays schtum, the other is 'Merican, black and visible / vocal.

I ain't no royalist, but I am not happy with reading such deliberately divisive cr4p being machine fed to the masses.

There was a very similar example of the DM printing two stories about young footballers buying their mum a house. One was a Latter Day Saint showing appreciation and the other was a flash git with too much money. Forensic nd Sterling if anybody wants to Google
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

Don't really see any difference between this and paying off your child's student loan or giving them a deposit for their first home. It's just a question of scale.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    So when RJ junior is married with a sprog you expect to pay 95% of their expenses?
    Have you told them the good news?
  • rjsterry

So when RJ junior is married with a sprog you expect to pay 95% of their expenses?

That would be the difference of scale bit. It still boils down to helping your offspring beyond absolute necessity.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    edited January 2020
    Deleted, double time-delayed post
  • I know that I would have struggled at the age of only 35 to bravely strike out on my own without receiving a home and millions of pounds from my father and grandmother. I can understand people's concern for their financial wellbeing.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Classic media playbook example from the Times - this morning's headline was about H&M getting bullied (according to "sources" of course), which was promptly followed up with Distressed princes deny ‘bullying’ claim. What are the odds on the second article being written at the same time as the first?

For all the claims of grand media conspiracies of one sort or another, to me it often looks like petty sh1t-stirring for the sole purpose of sales.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    Looks like the queen has agreed a deal and a transition arrangement according to breaking news.

Why isn't she sorting out brexit?
  • rjsterry
    I had much the same thought.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    I always said we needed Arsene Wenger to sort Brexit. He got Arsenal out of Europe every year without even voting.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589

Look you know my thoughts about inheritance tax.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    Stevo_666 said:

I always said we needed Arsene Wenger to sort Brexit. He got Arsenal out of Europe every year without even voting.

:smiley:
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

That would be the difference of scale bit. It still boils down to helping your offspring beyond absolute necessity.
    95% is 95%
    The amounts may differ but the scale is consistent.
  • ballysmate

orraloon said:

There was a very similar example of the DM printing two stories about young footballers buying their mum a house. One was a Latter Day Saint showing appreciation and the other was a flash git with too much money. Forensic nd Sterling if anybody wants to Google
    So if you and Loon are correct, it is all the British press' fault. You think she will get better treatment abroad?
    Remember the foreign press publishing pictures of Kate with her t1ts out?
    Press intrusion if they live abroad? They ain't seen nothing yet.
  • ballysmate

orraloon said:

So you and Loon reckon it is all the fault of the British press?
    Remember the foreign press printing pictures of Kate with her t1ts out?
    Press intrusion? If they go to live abroad, they ain't seen nothing yet.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    edited January 2020
    Nope - I have no idea and no real interest, my guess would be that she is appalled that. 35 year old man can be so tied to the apron strings and has told him to grow a pair.

British tabloids are widely regarded as the worst in the world

I don’t think anybody would argue that the DM isn’t racist, sexist and xenophobic but can not see why that would have any impact on MM as she has no reason to read it.
  • ballysmate

Nope - I have no idea and no real interest, my guess would be that she is appalled that. 35 year old man can be so tied to the apron strings and has told him to grow a pair.

British tabloids are widely regarded as the worst in the world

I don’t think anybody would argue that the DM isn’t racist, sexist and xenophobic but can not see why that would have any impact on MM as she has no reason to read it.

As I said in my first post on here, I am more than happy for Mr and Mrs to go.
    Would much prefer it if Joe Soap in the street didn't have to feel mugged off.
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2020

rjsterry said:

95% is 95%
    If I give my daughter £475 and she gets a £25 from a friend then I have given her 95% of her income (and will think I'm a bit heartless). The proportion of Charles's income from the Duchy of Cornwall is more relevant.
    Edited to correct the figures.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321

...but can not see why that would have any impact on MM as she has no reason to read it.

Uh?! A click of a camera every where you go, every move, every action. Worried that you my be pictured doing something quite benign turned into a story riddled with bollox.
    So it's the intrusion that is the issue.

We're all human. People and politicians in public view have to behave in a way that is well, superhuman?

Take political affairs for example, I couldn't give a monkey's as to who is shagging who as long as they are doing their job properly.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

95% is 95%
    If I give my daughter £495 and she gets a fiver from a friend then I have given her 95% of her income (and will think I'm a bit heartless). The proportion of Charles's income from the Duchy of Cornwall is more relevant.
    she would feel a lot better if she is better at sums than you and realise you gave her 99% of her income
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    pinno said:

...but can not see why that would have any impact on MM as she has no reason to read it.

Uh?! A click of a camera every where you go, every move, every action. Worried that you my be pictured doing something quite benign turned into a story riddled with bollox.
    So it's the intrusion that is the issue.

We're all human. People and politicians in public view have to behave in a way that is well, superhuman?

Take political affairs for example, I couldn't give a monkey's as to who is shagging who as long as they are doing their job properly.
    This, in spades.

Although there are limits. One former NSW Cabinet Minister here some years ago was busted and jailed WHILE IN OFFICE for handing out booze and drugs to (young) lads, and shagging them in the Parliamentary offices while they were drunk and stoned. Done for dealing dope and being a paedophile. He's just been released on parole, quite why I dunno.

Not the best example for an MP.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

95% is 95%
    If I give my daughter £495 and she gets a fiver from a friend then I have given her 95% of her income (and will think I'm a bit heartless). The proportion of Charles's income from the Duchy of Cornwall is more relevant.
    she would feel a lot better if she is better at sums than you and realise you gave her 99% of her income
    Guilty as charged. Was typing that when I should have been doing something else.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321

Although there are limits. One former NSW Cabinet Minister here some years ago was busted and jailed WHILE IN OFFICE for handing out booze and drugs to (young) lads, and shagging them in the Parliamentary offices while they were drunk and stoned. Done for dealing dope and being a paedophile. He's just been released on parole, quite why I dunno.

Not the best example for an MP.

That's not simply an affair though is it? That's criminal behaviour.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!