Harry and Meghan stepping aside

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    mr_goo said:

I too am all for it. Hand back the keys to Frogmore, give up the titles, arrange your own security and fcuk off.

Well said. But you missed off the reimbursement of the refurbishment of said cottage.

On another note I really hope it is the beginning of a very trimmed down royal family like Norway.Just monarch and immediate heir is fine. One house each only.

All the other castles and palaces should be opened up as hostels for the homeless. All the treasures and artwork should be put into museums around the UK.
    Maybe pop up to town and you can visit the Queen's Gallery. It sounds exactly like what you want.

https://www.rct.uk/visit/the-queens-gallery-buckingham-palace

Or Windsor Castle or Hampton Court or the Tower of London or Kensington Palace or the Banqueting House or Kew Palace or Hillsborough Castle. Not sure they'd work as homeless hostels seeing as they're already museums. If you prefer the outdoors, there's quite a few parks as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    rjsterry said:

Jeez, envy is such an attractive emotion. Funny how other very wealthy person who inherited most of it and also receives government grants for one thing and another doesn't receive half the bile that the royal family.

Don't think it's envy tbh.
    The bits that I've heard suggest that they want to keep their titles, freebie home and their state funded security and just do a bit to keep their hand in so to speak.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen shared my reaction, 'You cheeky bastards!'
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2020

rjsterry said:

Jeez, envy is such an attractive emotion. Funny how other very wealthy person who inherited most of it and also receives government grants for one thing and another doesn't receive half the bile that the royal family.

Don't think it's envy tbh.
    The bits that I've heard suggest that they want to keep their titles, freebie home and their state funded security and just do a bit to keep their hand in so to speak.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen shared my reaction, 'You cheeky bastards!'
    I was thinking mainly of Goo's post. Most of the stuff being reported is just speculation from 'royal commentators' (when did that become a real job) or "sources at the palace" (some minor servant wanting to make a few quid on the side). Sure, they could have handled it better, and there's clearly more thought needed on exactly how they're going to do it, but good luck to them. The bar set by his uncles is pretty low.

Worth noting that security for heads of state and their extended families is expensive whether they are elected or inherit the role.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited January 2020
    Oops
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    I was and am in no way advocating getting rid of the monarchy, as doing so would gain us nothing.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I have little sympathy for the Royals generally but I do admire these two for trying to get away. As I understand it "senior" Royals are not allowed to work. How that can be imposed I don't know but I think part of it is to stop the employing businesses from getting any advantage through employing a Royal. That's why so many join the forces - there is no advantage to be had.

Andrew's offspring (not "senior" Royals) apparently have "ordinary" jobs but as far as I can see they seem to be operating at levels in excess of their ability and, cynically perhaps, it seems they have these positions as a result of being a Royal.

Good luck To H & M, they will be bettor off out if and no doubt the press will follow them around like little lost lambs until they realise their is no story to be had.
  • ballysmate
    navrig2 said:

I have little sympathy for the Royals generally but I do admire these two for trying to get away. As I understand it "senior" Royals are not allowed to work. How that can be imposed I don't know but I think part of it is to stop the employing businesses from getting any advantage through employing a Royal. That's why so many join the forces - there is no advantage to be had.

Andrew's offspring (not "senior" Royals) apparently have "ordinary" jobs but as far as I can see they seem to be operating at levels in excess of their ability and, cynically perhaps, it seems they have these positions as a result of being a Royal.

Good luck To H & M, they will be bettor off out if and no doubt the press will follow them around like little lost lambs until they realise their is no story to be had.

If they are to earn the millions they expect, how will they do that if they are starved of the oxygen of publicity?
  • navrig2

navrig2 said:

If they are to earn the millions they expect, how will they do that if they are starved of the oxygen of publicity?
    I am not aware of anyone, even them, declaring and expectation to earn millions.
  • rjsterry

navrig2 said:

The same way as everyone else who earns millions without attracting attention. Make some good investments.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    navrig2 said:

navrig2 said:

I am not aware of anyone, even them, declaring and expectation to earn millions.
    navrig2 said:

navrig2 said:

You yourself cited their inability to earn whilst being a senior royal. I assume they will wish to at least seek to match the money they presently receive from Duchy of Cornwall, which is millions.
    Can't see him getting by by going back in the army and having to get byon Captain's pay.
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

The same way as everyone else who earns millions without attracting attention. Make some good investments.
    Invest the money they receive from Charlie?
    How is that financial independence?
    They have apparently set up Sussex Royal. Com and have the trademark. That is their cash cow.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    navrig2 said:

navrig2 said:

the expecation is that their lifestyle unless they go all Grizzly Adams, will cost millions, their security costs alone are reported to be at least half a million a year, and splitting time between 2 continents and stating theyll live off the not 5% of the sovereign grant which is estimated to be about 2million pounds worth to the Sussexes, so do the math, they operate on a 40million pound budget normally based on that. which seems ludicrously high, but even if its a factor of 10 out, where do they get 4million pounds per year from ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    awavey said:

navrig2 said:

navrig2 said:

the expecation is that their lifestyle unless they go all Grizzly Adams, will cost millions, their security costs alone are reported to be at least half a million a year, and splitting time between 2 continents and stating theyll live off the not 5% of the sovereign grant which is estimated to be about 2million pounds worth to the Sussexes, so do the math, they operate on a 40million pound budget normally based on that. which seems ludicrously high, but even if its a factor of 10 out, where do they get 4million pounds per year from ?
    A couple of movies or a contract on a prime time TV series would probably earn Meghan that. Failing that they could just go around attending fancy parties and staying with rich mates, it's not like that has ever caused any issues for members of the royal family. My prediction is that it's all a stunt to show how fed up they are with media intrusion and not being able to make their own choices and will end up being 'resolved'.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    mfin said:

... although this is conditional that they both f**k off from the news within the next hour).

Isn't that the whole problem?
    I do not think for a minute that it's their fault they are in the pages of our gutter press. Is that self-inflicted?!
    Do you not remember the constant hounding of Diana or previously to that, Fergie?

Had that chauffeur not been under the influence of alcohol when Diana was killed, perhaps they would have legislated.

Back OT: Good luck to them,
    The press can go f*ck themselves.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2020

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

They have apparently set up Sussex Royal. Com and have the trademark. That is their cash cow.
    No, the money he has already received, from his mum and dad and his great grandma. The trademark was setup after someone else tried to nab it. Use of the word Royal in a trademark is strictly controlled.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    'Royal Ballysmate™'

He'll be sued :)

Wait for it....

Anything in the post kind of official looking Bally?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

It’s Charles’ money, he can do what he like with it, no?

• ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

No, the money he has already received, from his mum and dad and his great grandma. The trademark was setup after someone else tried to nab it. Use of the word Royal in a trademark is strictly controlled.
    She is worth 4m quid and him 30.
    Harry Potter couldn't generate a sufficient return from that to support their lifestyle.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    pinno said:

I agree with your sentiment but the idea that the press will leave them alone is flawed. As is the thinking that Meghan will be happy out of the spotlight.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    pinno said:

mfin said:

... although this is conditional that they both f**k off from the news within the next hour).

Isn't that the whole problem?
    I do not think for a minute that it's their fault they are in the pages of our gutter press. Is that self-inflicted?!
    Do you not remember the constant hounding of Diana or previously to that, Fergie?

Had that chauffeur not been under the influence of alcohol when Diana was killed, perhaps they would have legislated.

Diana was quite adept at using the press when it suited.
    As for Fergie, the press showed her for what she is with their sting when she tried to sell access.
    Perhaps you would like the press to leave Andrew alone so that he could allegedly go back to shagging coerced teenagers?
  • ballysmate
    pinno said:

'Royal Ballysmate™'

He'll be sued :)

Wait for it....

Anything in the post kind of official looking Bally?

Nothing like that.
    There is a suspicious Fiat Uno parked at the end of the road though.
  • ballysmate
    edited January 2020

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

It’s Charles’ money, he can do what he like with it, no?

Course he can. But how is poncing off his old man in any way financial independence?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Bon voyage Meghan, dont forget to use your satnav...

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

Harry Potter couldn't generate a sufficient return from that to support their lifestyle.
    You don't think that they might possibly modify their lifestyle to suit their circumstances?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

navrig2 said:

You don't think that they might possibly modify their lifestyle to suit their circumstances?
    Ha ha ha ha......

Pauses

Ha ha ha ha.......
  • rjsterry
    You seem to know an awful lot about people you claim to not care about.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    You could describe me as a monarchist as I see nothing to be gained by becoming a republic.
    If they want to live as Mr and Mrs Markle though, then that is fine with me.
    If they want to live by independent means as they claim they are free to do so but should leave all trappings and privilege behind.
    What makes you think they want a scaled back lifestyle?
    Is it the use of friends' private jets, friends fancy villas or even the lavish retreat in Canada?
  • navrig2
    Of course they will have to cut their lavish lifestyle.

Yes they have money from Granny and Mummy.

Daddy will sling them some from time to time from his personal pot.

I doubt Meghan spent all she earned when appearing in Suits.

He will have some existing investments.

They will be able to live comfortably on what they have and stepping down formally will likely open the doors to taking on employment.

I am not a loyalist by any means and I would have them disbanded immediately, most of their wealth returned to the state (leaving them enough to get by on the basis that most of them are are largely unemployable in ordinary jobs) and their property put to better use.
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2020
    You sure you're not a closet lefty with all that snarking about having wealthy friends? And you seem to be predicting what they'll do based on past behaviour 😱 I've no idea what they want or how they plan to live, and more to the point, neither do you.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    No issues with wealth or wealthy friends. I wish I had either or both.
    My issue with Posh and Megs is their seeming desire to seek independence but keeping all their trappings of royalty.
    Cake and eat it so to speak.