Velominati 'The Rules' - updated for 2019

2»

Comments

• As some people have already said, these are written very much with the tongue firmly in the cheek as the original ones were.

If you read more carefully, we are saying the exact opposite... the original were written tongue in cheek, something that has disappeared in your version.
    They are a bit dull, sorry...

left the forum March 2023

• If you read more carefully, we are saying the exact opposite... the original were written tongue in cheek, something that has disappeared in your version.
    They are a bit dull, sorry...

To be accused of writing 'dull' content by someone who thinks nothing of writing an 800 word article on rebuilding a wheel hub on their own website, is quite a blow. If ever there was an incentive to completely re-write them, it was this. But thanks for the feedback it is truly valued...
  • Tired: Ride your bike whatever the weather, and have your socks the right length
    Wired: Buy disc brakes, a power meter and a bike computer

• To be accused of writing 'dull' content by someone who thinks nothing of writing an 800 word article on rebuilding a wheel hub on their own website, is quite a blow. If ever there was an incentive to completely re-write them, it was this. But thanks for the feedback it is truly valued...

Is it this one?
    https://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/zipp-188-hub-and-a-firecrest-rebuild/

I wrote such an article, which was meant to be useful rather than humorous. If it's not useful, then it is a pointless article. I have no evidence either way. It was never meant to be humorous.

I'm not the only one saying that, read the comments above, you should accept the overwhelming criticism from this forum...

left the forum March 2023
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    @The_Obsessive_Cyclist have you considered asking the Keepers of the Cog for their views on your 'update'? Feel free to share.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited December 2019

To be accused of writing 'dull' content by someone who thinks nothing of writing an 800 word article on rebuilding a wheel hub on their own website, is quite a blow. If ever there was an incentive to completely re-write them, it was this. But thanks for the feedback it is truly valued...

Classic example of (and a poor attempt at) deflection.

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913

Hi all,

Thanks for all the 'feedback'! Honestly I had no idea these would spark so much response and its great to hear what you lot think.

As some people have already said, these are written very much with the tongue firmly in the cheek as the original ones were. They're a dig at some of the stupid stuff we as cyclists have to contend with in the modern era - some people will agree with them, some won't, and that's the whole point. I don't agree with them all, and I wrote them.

For those who seem genuinely hacked off at the thought of someone even attempting to write a light hearted piece about cycling and share it with a cycling forum, (god forbid) I wonder if maybe you're taking this all a bit too seriously? It did make me laugh when someone said 'updated rules are meaningless'. Did you think the original rules had meaning? You really did get sucked in didn't you!

Like I said before, there must be loads more 'updated rules' that should be 'applied' given how much things have moved on, and if you think you can do better than me (and you probably can) then post them here and I'll add the best ones to the article.

Oh FWIW far from being a one post wonder I've actually been on this site since 2011 but seems my account got wiped when the refresh took place so I've had to start over - password doesn't work etc. Right now I can't even change my username from the shitty 'hello376' they gave me by default, so any advice on how to get that sorted would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Tom

i think you have missed the reason as to why most people didn't like them

and sorry, you are right, your 4 posts (although it would have been two at the time) are far far from making you a one post wonder
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I agree with Ugo but come on BR folks chill out there's nothing offensive, rude or really negative in the OP's take on the old ruleZ, ladies & gents there are plenty more things to be worried about right now than this.

The almost death of the SCR thread, whatever happened to the war with the FGSS forum, and dozens of humorous and factual threads that have gone away, once upon a time if you google'd anything factual on the Internet (excluding Sheldon Brown) BR was right up there, thanks to this very forum.

Chill its almost the weekend ;)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I predict this forum will have died by Christmas 2020
  • dodgy said:

I predict this forum will have died by Christmas 2020

Let's hope so.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Obviously the original rules were a kind of in joke - cyclists laughing at themselves.

To be fair they probably represented the views of cyclists from around 5-10 years previous to that - the riders who had been around before cycling was popular and if you were a club cyclist you probably raced, had raced or at least rode with guys who raced. Most of us did avoid black socks, peaked helmets, hairy legs etc etc but we didn't take it so seriously that we couldn't laugh at ourselves for doing it.

Cycling has changed now - you probably wont get the piss taken for turning up with unshaved legs or any of the other faux pas that once would have attracted a bit of ribbing. Had a glance at those new rules but they just don't work do they - lots of them are just logical advice - 50mm carbon wheels - aero is everything - nobody is going to take the piss if you turn up with some open pros and a round tubed bike - if anything it'd look old school cool. There isn't that kind of consensus about what a road cyclist should or should not do any more - in short there are no rules.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

• Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Turning up with unshaven legs? What, that's supposed to be a faux par? Unless you're a pro or a really serious racer, anyone who shaves their legs is making the faux par!

Also sock length, I mean who gives a flying.

Way too many people take themselves way too seriously.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Faux par? Don't you mean foxes paws? 😉
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I was more complaining that the new rules the OP was suggesting weren't offensive or dogmatic enough to be in the same spirit as the originals not that they were too offensive or shouldn't be allowed.

that is what made the originals, in my opinion, kinda funny.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • They were/are sort of funny, if that's how you read them. Anyone who takes them seriously needs a dose of the clap.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • The life lesson here is never take yourself or your chosen sport too seriously. There is a little bit of truth in the original rules and these updated ones. When you look at it from an outsiders perspective most of the things we do are ridiculous, especially reading & posting on a cycling forum. I for one find all this stuff funny especially the ones that I have done in the past like the hairy legs and the turbo miles.