Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

SCRATCHING MY HEAD!

I am replacing the bottom bracket on a project bike and have just got a cheap one from Halfords.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/gears-drivetrain-cables/vp-bc73-68-x-113-square-taper-cartridge-bottom-bracket

Daft question time, does the threaded left side just pull off? Just not wanting to break it!

• veronese68veronese68 Posts: 22,938 Lives Here
    Yes, one side slides on and off the cartridge, obviously screws into the frame. Screw the side that's attached to the cartridge into the frame, that's the side with a flange to stop it going in too far. Then screw the other side in.
  • Yes, one side slides on and off the cartridge, obviously screws into the frame. Screw the side that's attached to the cartridge into the frame, that's the side with a flange to stop it going in too far. Then screw the other side in.

Perfect! Thank you!
  • mattyfezmattyfez Posts: 638
    Just too add, I once bought one of those vp square taper brackets and it got a bit grindy /grumbley after about 8 months.
    I replaced it with a standard shimano jobbie un55 or something, I can't remember the model name and it's a lot better for not much more money.