SCRATCHING MY HEAD!

I am replacing the bottom bracket on a project bike and have just got a cheap one from Halfords.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/gears-drivetrain-cables/vp-bc73-68-x-113-square-taper-cartridge-bottom-bracket

Daft question time, does the threaded left side just pull off? Just not wanting to break it!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Yes, one side slides on and off the cartridge, obviously screws into the frame. Screw the side that's attached to the cartridge into the frame, that's the side with a flange to stop it going in too far. Then screw the other side in.
  • Yes, one side slides on and off the cartridge, obviously screws into the frame. Screw the side that's attached to the cartridge into the frame, that's the side with a flange to stop it going in too far. Then screw the other side in.

Perfect! Thank you!
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Just too add, I once bought one of those vp square taper brackets and it got a bit grindy /grumbley after about 8 months.
    I replaced it with a standard shimano jobbie un55 or something, I can't remember the model name and it's a lot better for not much more money.