Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Anyone have experience cycling after going through the Urolift procedure?

Like many men in mid-life or later, I've developed an enlarged prostate. My urologist has suggested that I'm a candidate for the Urolift procedure. I'm concerned about how this may affect my road biking hobby.

Anyone here have any experience with Urolift and cycling afterwards?

• I just had the Urolift procedure done a week ago. I haven't ridden yet, but I'm hoping to start again in a few weeks. I'll be sure to report back here as soon as I know anything. So far, there's no real pain or sensitivity that makes me worry it'll be a problem, but I haven't sat on my saddle yet. Doc told me to wait 4 weeks before riding. Expect my first report after the holidays.
  • Thanks for your input. I hope it goes well for you and will look forward to hearing about your experience. Did you talk to your doc about cycling before going through with the procedure?
  • leonc456 said:

Did you talk to your doc about cycling before going through with the procedure?

Yes, I did talk with him about it. But you know that doctors (unless they are cyclists themselves) really don't understand what we do. And me being a randonneur -- few cyclists understand randonners -- I'm really out there on my own. My doc didn't know of any data one way or the other regarding cyclists. He warned me that whatever the outcome, I would represent just one person. I'd be a case study -- a population of just 1. Hard to generalize from my experience.

I guess I know there's a risk, but given how much more destructive the other procedures are, this one seemed the least risky and quickest recovery. It's only been about a week and I already see benefit, in terms of my ability to pee normally. That's certainly a good thing.

I plan to start out on the stationary bike. If that feels OK, I'll move onto the road.
  • A few minutes on a stationary bike 3 weeks after surgery. No issues.
  • handfulhandful Posts: 914
    I've been referred for a urolift as well and was interested to stumble across this. On a non cycling subject, has the procedure helped at all? I'm also considering a rezum procedure
    Vaaru Titanium Sram eTap HRD
    Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
    Intense Spider 29er - mud
  • bikeradar15bikeradar15 Posts: 5
    edited December 2019
    handful said:

I've been referred for a urolift as well and was interested to stumble across this. On a non cycling subject, has the procedure helped at all? I'm also considering a rezum procedure

It has definitely helped. Now I can almost sleep through the night without peeing. In the past I'd be up every 90 minutes. Things aren't perfect; I don't pee like an 18 year old, but there's been a dramatic improvement. I have much better control.

The doc told me to stay off the bike for at least 4 weeks, and I pretty much listened to him (other than my stationary bike trial week 3). All detectable side effects (pain, pink urine) were gone in a week. I can't speak about what Rezum is like, but for me Urolift was very fast recovery. Just a couple annoying days with a catheter and a little pain for a couple days more.

I'm at week 5 after the procedure. I took a 25 mile bike ride today over mixed terrain. Absolutely no pain (other than the usual pain caused in my wimpy legs when I try to climb big hills). Not the slightest hint of pain in the crotch or any other unusual place. Pretty much a non issue thus far. I will take it easy, riding when the weather allows. I'm hoping I'll be 100% in the Spring.
  • I've now ridden about a few hundred miles with no issues. Maybe 10 years from now I'll be in a class action suit, but right now there's been no indication that the Urolift procedure has been anything other than a success. I can pee like a 50 year old again (I'm 61). There has been zero effect on my cycling. One of my rides was a 200K.
  • handfulhandful Posts: 914

handful said:

It has definitely helped. Now I can almost sleep through the night without peeing. In the past I'd be up every 90 minutes. Things aren't perfect; I don't pee like an 18 year old, but there's been a dramatic improvement. I have much better control.

The doc told me to stay off the bike for at least 4 weeks, and I pretty much listened to him (other than my stationary bike trial week 3). All detectable side effects (pain, pink urine) were gone in a week. I can't speak about what Rezum is like, but for me Urolift was very fast recovery. Just a couple annoying days with a catheter and a little pain for a couple days more.

I'm at week 5 after the procedure. I took a 25 mile bike ride today over mixed terrain. Absolutely no pain (other than the usual pain caused in my wimpy legs when I try to climb big hills). Not the slightest hint of pain in the crotch or any other unusual place. Pretty much a non issue thus far. I will take it easy, riding when the weather allows. I'm hoping I'll be 100% in the Spring.
    I forgot I asked this question so apologies for the late response! My referral has been postponed twice now so not seeing the urologist until April. I think I will probably go for the urolift, I hear more good than bad so worth a try. I don't get up that often in the night but only because I limit what I drink to the extent I don't drink enough. I find it very hard to go back to sleep after getting up. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Vaaru Titanium Sram eTap HRD
    Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
    Intense Spider 29er - mud