Is it possible to ramp test on a turbo without paying subscription to something?

frankieh
frankieh Posts: 85
I've got a turbo (elite direto) and looking to get back into it for the winter. For multiple reasons I don't really want to pay a subscription (e.g. zwift/trainerroad) but would like to be able to do an automatic ramp test with it. Either via my phone or my wahoo head unit. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Most of the trainer apps offer a free trial so just sign up for one of those and do your test.
  • don't think the free trials would work out doing one every month or so
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Elite offer their own 'My E-Training' app which has a few free abilities and is much cheaper than zwift/trainer road if you do subscribe.

You could also look at Golden Cheetah which is free and has a trainer mode.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Best if you have a helper to motivate and take readings but you can do it yourself. Just Google for the protocol. My club used to do them.
  • Ohh good call about Golden Cheetah, I didn't realise it had a trainer mode. If it doesn't have a ramp test maybe I can still use it and combine that with the DIY idea.

Thanks!
  • You can do manual ""ramp tests" on the free version of the Elite app.

Zwift does 25Km free trial every calendar month, if you do ramp tests on the Mountain/8 course, you can probably get 2+ tests per month.

RGT is open free beta last time I checked, although it's been a few months, no ramp test but you could do a 20min interval up part of Mont Ventoux.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • You can create a workout in your wahoo that will control the trainer if you know how to make sense of the results?

Otherwise do a standard 20min test for free
  • Thanks everyone for all the help, I've got loads of options now