VK (run) training

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
(Yes I know it's about running but I CBA to join another forum and most of you here seem to do that too)

For a laugh and a bit of over-winter motivation, I've signed up to the VK (vertical km)* in Chamonix - where I'm likely to be - next summer. I'm really not a runner but If I have a 'thing' to focus the mind I tend to be a bit better about getting out on days where I might usually not so...

What sort of things would you be doing to prepare?

I have a very hot & cold relationship with running but, along with a twice-weekly circuits/gym class) I find it a much better form of training for my winter ski season than cycling so I try and get out and do 5km after work then maybe a 10km over the weekend. I'm almost starting to enjoy it now...

Thanks for your help

*A VK is a trail running...thing where you gain 1000m in altitude in under 5km - The Chamonix one is 3.8km. It's basically a tight switchback trail under the ski lift. They tend to be the 'fun run' to the Ultra events although, inevitably, people at the front take them as seriously as the traditional races now
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Try parkrun and get a couple of 10k races in the diary to keep you motivated. The more running you can do the better - but if you're not used to it - do start easy and listen to your body. It's much harder on the body than cycling.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    It was quite difficult to read 'run 5 days a week or don't bother'.
  • Is that an average gradient of 26%? If you are planning to run that rather than power walking, it's not going to be like a parkrun!

I went out and did the route of the Midsummer Monroe around Box Hill which goes up and down the steepest bits it can find and once it gets to those gradients it's a completely different set of muscles to even something uphill like the Leith Hill half. I'd think that a step machine is going to work the right muscles, alongside running for general fitness. The impact shouldn't be too bad as it's all uphill.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think I forgot to put the bit about run hills - lots of hills - but not until you're ready for it. But you need to get out there and build the running fitness up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Thanks guys, more or less what I thought so. It's already getting me out running so even if I don't end up doing it it will have done its job. Living in Cornwall there's no lack of hills and there's quite a good loop of about 4km with 5 hills of 250m (horizontal) which I've adapted for Intervals (lol). The worse bits at the moment is the battering my ankles are taking running on trails...

KG - you're right it's more of a walk than a run. Apparently, Skimo is good training for that so I'll get a bunch of that in over winter.
    mamil314 wrote:
    It was quite difficult to read 'run 5 days a week or don't bother'.
    Hmm, I took that to mean 'Excercise' 5 times a week which is a little more believable
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Walking in the hills. Then build up speed. There’s no substitute for actually going up the hills. If you can’t get hills get on the stepper.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    How about the Bettmeralp half marathon? https://www.aletsch-halbmarathon.ch/en/for-runners/aletsch-half-marathon/route My son did it a few years ago. Over 1000m of climbing, mostly in the last two or three Km. I walked the second half this summer, nearly killed me. When I was running, I would get shin pain from running up steep hills, stopped with training, but running steep hills does stress different muscles, so try to run on similar terrain as much as possible.