Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • solarflash
    solarflash Posts: 102

Hey Solar, so did you come from a Giant Defy to the Ribble?

I'm looking to do that jump and I want the integrated headset so need to get the length right

I saw the link you posted to the geo set up tool which is cool, what are the main dimensions you matched up? Reach? Top tube? etc.

If, for instance, I am happy with the feel of my Defy on the hoods and want similar, is it as simple as matching the length from saddle to hoods?

If you can be arsed and have the time I'd appreciate the advice. Cheers!

Hey, no I didn't come from a Deft unfortunately, those dimensions were from a Scott Foil I posted previously. I matched up stack and reach from the BB and the saddle positions (the dimensions were all drawn from published dimensions or measured dimensions though and encompassed more than just stack and reach). The Defy I was using while the frame was away for warranty was a friends bike. It was a medium, and had noticeably wider bars, and longer reach despite me trying to match my Ribble's setup
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Glad I found this thread

I'm looking at getting an Endurance SL as my new commuter/winter bike

I'm 173cm too and torn between the small and medium frame size.

I assume you're on the medium?

Bike looks awesome btw.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Hopefully @solarflash will return, appears he has not logged on since November.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I am 170cm and on a small. But I am at the upper end of fit with a 130mm stem. Here is mine so you can see how it is set.

At 173cm you'll be fine with a medium. Despite the name it is quite a racy geometry with a short head tube.

BTW I too bought this as a winter/trainer bike but found it too nice for that purpose!

• solarflash
    edited March 2023
    I'm here :)

Yeah, so I think the medium right size for me, I recently had another bike fit on it, and the saddle got slammed all the way forward as far as possible and I went down a headtube spacer at the front. Stem is 90mm if I remember correctly. I did also get another bike recently - a cotic escapade, and I went with a small in that size. Honestly I'm not sure the Ribble makes a great winter bike, I tried with guards etc and it works, but you have to go down in tyre size and toe overlap can start becoming an issue. I was also finding tubeless tyres seal worse with smaller tyres at higher pressure (relatively - 70psi). On the cotic I run it permanently with massive mudgaurds and 650b 50mm tyres at 25-30psi. It's a dramatic difference and much better suited to crap roads and conditions in my opinion. I've got the ribble on the indoor trainer for structured workouts until the weather gets better.
  • dannbodge

I am 170cm and on a small. But I am at the upper end of fit with a 130mm stem. Here is mine so you can see how it is set.

At 173cm you'll be fine with a medium. Despite the name it is quite a racy geometry with a short head tube.

BTW I too bought this as a winter/trainer bike but found it too nice for that purpose!

It's not as racey as my Tarmac SL6 or SL2 though but it's about the most racey I can find with mudguard mounts.

Looks like a great bike though.

Yeah, so I think the medium right size for me, I recently had another bike fit on it, and the saddle got slammed all the way forward as far as possible and I went down a headtube spacer at the front. Stem is 90mm if I remember correctly. I did also get another bike recently - a cotic escapade, and I went with a small in that size. Honestly I'm not sure the Ribble makes a great winter bike, I tried with guards etc and it works, but you have to go down in tyre size and toe overlap can start becoming an issue. I was also finding tubeless tyres seal worse with smaller tyres at higher pressure (relatively - 70psi). On the cotic I run it permanently with massive mudgaurds and 650b 50mm tyres at 25-30psi. It's a dramatic difference and much better suited to censored roads and conditions in my opinion. I've got the ribble on the indoor trainer for structured workouts until the weather gets better.

That's good to know as I plan on running a 90mm with no spacers (to match my current Tarmac winter bike)

Interesting to hear that about the mudguards. I was hoping to use 28mms with some, even if it means notching them at the seatstays.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Yeah, so I think the medium right size for me, I recently had another bike fit on it, and the saddle got slammed all the way forward as far as possible and I went down a headtube spacer at the front. Stem is 90mm if I remember correctly. I did also get another bike recently - a cotic escapade, and I went with a small in that size. Honestly I'm not sure the Ribble makes a great winter bike, I tried with guards etc and it works, but you have to go down in tyre size and toe overlap can start becoming an issue. I was also finding tubeless tyres seal worse with smaller tyres at higher pressure (relatively - 70psi). On the cotic I run it permanently with massive mudgaurds and 650b 50mm tyres at 25-30psi. It's a dramatic difference and much better suited to censored roads and conditions in my opinion. I've got the ribble on the indoor trainer for structured workouts until the weather gets better.

What type of mudguards have you put on the Ribble and what sized tyres can you run with them on?

• super_davo
    Officially with guards it's up to 25s. I reckon with some filing / very flat guards you could get 28s, but it would be tight.

Without guards there is loads of room, so possibly with a 3d printer to create a new rear stay bridge you could resolve the issue fully.

But we've all gone soft now Zwift is a thing so it's dry days only in winter for me on this bike!
  • dannbodge

Officially with guards it's up to 25s. I reckon with some filing / very flat guards you could get 28s, but it would be tight.

Without guards there is loads of room, so possibly with a 3d printer to create a new rear stay bridge you could resolve the issue fully.

But we've all gone soft now Zwift is a thing so it's dry days only in winter for me on this bike!

Good to know, thanks

Luckily I'm a CAD monkey by day and have a 3D printer, so everything is possible.
    Unfortunately (or maybe not) my bike is the only method for me to get to work (bar public transport), so I ride in all weather, with the exception of storms and ice etc.
  • solarflash
    I had 28s on with PDW guards and there wasn't much room to spare. (See images earlier in the thread). The supplied mudguard seatstay mount is total crap, print a better one if you can. It was one of the reasons I bought a different winter bike 😂. The mount kept on failing causing the guards to rub. The bike actually has more clearance than that mount would allow. I run 30/32s on the bike now without mudguards.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 286
    Any decent winter bike options around - With mudguard mounts obviously...
    Seems very limited choice
  • solarflash

Cotic Escapade has been working well for me :smile:
  • super_davo
    Define decent.

If you mean fast road bike that you'd ride all year round just with mudguards in the winter, then many of the endurance road bikes like Defy, Domane, Synapse etc. have them.

There are also all road bikes like the Cervelo Caledonia, and a myriad of gravel bikes that can take large tyres and guards (Ribble CGR for example).

I still kept using my Dolan RDX because even though it isn't the most fun bike to ride it fulfills the winter brief perfectly.

I was remarking on a winter club ride the other week how much better / more comfortable the new school of winter bikes are Vs the Ribble Audax and fixies of old. Things like large tyres, disc brakes, wide gear ranges make way more sense on a winter bike, just as we've all gone soft and taken to Zwifting in a major way.

So actually the choice is pretty good these days, it's just full on race bikes that can take guards where things are limited - but then they always have been.
  • dannbodge
    pmannion9 said:

Any decent winter bike options around - With mudguard mounts obviously...
    Seems very limited choice

For me it's either this Ribble or a CAAD13
    They're the only ones with a decent "race" spec geometry (like a Tarmac, TCR, Superzix etc)
  • pmannion9
    Yeah - apologies "decent" was a lazy description to use...
    As I am still on rim brakes for my current bikes, I was really looking for something to cover 3/4 of the year that I can put guards on and leave as I dont do indoor riding and try to get out 5 or six times a week... . The ribble seems like a good choice but don't see many using it with mudguards etc.
    I have a Kinesis Racelight rim brake which has served me well but it is slightly too big . I would prefer a carbon option and probably move to disc for this bike. Maybe the Synapse is what I should be looking at as I tend to ride an old Supersix most days...
  • Boardman ADV 8.9 or Boardman SLR 8.9 disc in current Halfords/Tredz sale.

Or if you can find a good frameset deal, grab the ~£380 105 disc groupset from WIggle in their 15% sale, if it's still running.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dannbodge
    edited March 2023
    Well I put a deposit down on one this morning. Getting delivered on thursday so will stick up a couple of pics once I've got it.

Edit
    Also ordered some VEL carbon wheels as they're dirt cheap ATM and some sugru to make a rear mudguard mount (Ribble are oos and as suggested in here, it's crap anyway)
  • pmannion9
    It arrive yet?
  • dannbodge
    pmannion9 said:

It arrive yet?

Yeah came yesterday but not fitted any of my bits yet.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    That looks smart.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    Yeah it's actually alright. Doesn't look too bad on shallow rims either (which is odd).

However I've got to fit:

- Vel 3850 wheels to fit (38mm front, 50mm rear)
    - Conti 4 seasons 28mm
    - 11-28 cassette and short cage rear mech
    - new Dura ace disc rotors + new pads
    - S-Works Tarmac SL7 stem + wahoo mount (allows fully integrated cables but 2 piece bar stem combo)
    - Portland design work mudguards
    - S-Works power saddle
    - New gear cables
    And probably a few other small bits

Undecided on keeping the gold chain. As I've got a new Ultegra one and new silver one I might sell it on.

Need to also check the width of the bars are it's already got carbon "aero" ones on, but suspect they may be too wide.

I'll probably start my own thread on it rather than clog this one up.
  • dannbodge
    @solarflash You wouldn't happen to still have the Ribble mudguard adapter would you?

They're still OOS and I want to get hold of one for scanning so I can make it better.