Ban SUVs

1235»

• tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 3,954
    4x4 without winter tyres isn't much better than 2wd without winter tyres in snow.

Auto car put a YouTube on where they tested summer and winter tyres on 2wd and 4wd versions of the same suv going up a ski centre slope. The only options to get far up the slope were 4wd and 2wd with winter tyres. The same cars with 2wd tyres didn't get any further than each other. Well the 4wd got a few metres further then slid back to below where the 2wd had stopped iirc.

So all your torque and 4x4 isn't the best solution to snow. It's the right tyres. Just had to point out the bleeding obvious.

PS my old astra estate got me home through the Lakeland snow one Sunday evening after a heavy fall. Skinny summer tyres and nowhere near 600nm of torque. I did drive past xtrails and land cruisers with big off road tyres and 4x4 low range etc. Took 3 times as long because I am cautious in snow and blizzard conditions but at no point did I feel it was struggling or would let me down.
  • photonic69photonic69 Posts: 913

4x4 without winter tyres isn't much better than 2wd without winter tyres in snow.

Auto car put a YouTube on where they tested summer and winter tyres on 2wd and 4wd versions of the same suv going up a ski centre slope. The only options to get far up the slope were 4wd and 2wd with winter tyres. The same cars with 2wd tyres didn't get any further than each other. Well the 4wd got a few metres further then slid back to below where the 2wd had stopped iirc.

So all your torque and 4x4 isn't the best solution to snow. It's the right tyres. Just had to point out the bleeding obvious.

PS my old astra estate got me home through the Lakeland snow one Sunday evening after a heavy fall. Skinny summer tyres and nowhere near 600nm of torque. I did drive past xtrails and land cruisers with big off road tyres and 4x4 low range etc. Took 3 times as long because I am cautious in snow and blizzard conditions but at no point did I feel it was struggling or would let me down.

haha! Yes! My mate is German so he always has winter tyres as he's used to fitting them. We've had he best fun on the Salisbury Plain in the snow in a little Fabia with winter snow and mud tyres. Driving across fields, crashing through snow drifts, trying to drive along bridal ways and getting stuck (it was very rutted). The look of disbelief on walker's faces as we drove past them as they were getting out of their 4x4's parked safely on the cleared road tracks. No one 'needs' a lifestyle car except to massage their own vanity....
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 9,846
    edited 19 November

I did have a right old laugh the time I passed a guy slip sliding away on snow in his Range Rover Sport on low profile summer tyres.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

• It will comfortably go off-road when needed.

It will pull a load without issue thanks to the 600nm of torque.

These seem to be the only ones that you couldn't get without a proper car. If you live on a farm, then I think most people would say it's fair enough to own a farm vehicle.

Now updated.
    and then the next thing you know
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,022
    Love the pinko reactions. Just off to do the school run in the Treg. Think I'll leave it idling. :'(
    TACX iFlow - basic, Bushido smart -Rubbish, Elite Kura - not smart, Direto - awful, Tacx Neo1 - perfect.
  • Love the pinko reactions. Just off to do the school run in the Treg. Think I'll leave it idling. :'(

Do you live/work on a farm?
  • Fair play to the car companies that can convince someone that giving them £40K+ of their own money for an oversized pig ugly machine is an efficient way of winding up pinkos. I really don't understand why people living in towns would want something that is too big externally for no internal advantage.
  • monkimarkmonkimark Posts: 690
    It's pretty handy having half our village driving enormous SUVs, it means I can always find space outside the shop for my little hatchback as they sit waiting for a bus sized space to open up.
  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 3,954
    I just drive my van. So it sticks out of a parking space. They're too small anyway so doesn't bother me.

Plus fun parking really close to the drivers side door of the nearby car knowing I can always get out easily from another door.

It's got plenty of dents already so any more doesn't bother us. If we find a parking space within empty spaces either side we tend to find them empty when we come back. Makes it easy to wheel round when coming out.

Plenty of other benefits to the van. Such as the 1.6 litre engine is more efficient for fuel and emissions than my old seat mpv car. At least 10mpg better in real time use. When we get it remapped it'll be even better.

Funny how we never get environmentalists sticking a pollution leaflet on it like they do with SUVs.
  • amrushtonamrushton Posts: 579

Fair play to the car companies that can convince someone that giving them £40K+ of their own money for an oversized pig ugly machine is an efficient way of winding up pinkos. I really don't understand why people living in towns would want something that is too big externally for no internal advantage.

noticed that Aston Martin have now launched an SUV. £185k+. thats the way the market is going - SUVs. Of course the bubble will burst - eventually