Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

I don't have a 4G signal. The phone lines travel 4 miles from an exchange 3/4 mile away as the crow flies. Scottish Govts project 100% roll out of "superfast broadband" means 10 MBPS and is so out of date this is now slow broadband, and already 3 years behind schedule. They are handing out vouchers for "alternatives". This means satellite broadband, at well over £1k a year that isn't remotely covered by the voucher and requires you to have a dish in the garden, download limits and no internet in bad weather (well, this is Scotland so...).

And yet somehow by 2025 this shambles is going to be like the internet in downtown Seoul?

4g? Can't get any mobile signal at all where I am and I'm 14 miles from the centre of London. I can see the landmarks from my bedroom window.
    that adds a whole new level to the sticks and banjo debate. Where are you?
    Banstead
    Were you attracted to the area by the wonderfully named Nork Park?
    Not just Nork Park, but there's a whole area called Nork.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Careful, we’ll have the fun(bags) police here shortly.
  • elbowloh
    I have recently learned that some people confuse the UN with NATO ;)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    morstar said:

Careful, we’ll have the fun(bags) police here shortly.

Reminded me of a website I was recently introduced to:
    https://www.fourkingmaps.co.uk/
    It's like what 3 words but much more childish, unfortunately the village of Twatt doesn't have the obvious word in it's location. Just find a location and click on it to get its four king word description
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    elbowloh said:

I have recently learned that some people confuse the UN with NATO ;)

Guilty.
    But not confused, rather a case of mistaken terminology.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Having the runs don't necessarily slow me down on the bike. :#
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336

Should speed you up really
  • elbowloh

Should speed you up really
    It certainly didn't slow down Alex Ferguson's driving.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/oct/05/vivekchaudhary
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

I don't have a 4G signal. The phone lines travel 4 miles from an exchange 3/4 mile away as the crow flies. Scottish Govts project 100% roll out of "superfast broadband" means 10 MBPS and is so out of date this is now slow broadband, and already 3 years behind schedule. They are handing out vouchers for "alternatives". This means satellite broadband, at well over £1k a year that isn't remotely covered by the voucher and requires you to have a dish in the garden, download limits and no internet in bad weather (well, this is Scotland so...).

And yet somehow by 2025 this shambles is going to be like the internet in downtown Seoul?

4g? Can't get any mobile signal at all where I am and I'm 14 miles from the centre of London. I can see the landmarks from my bedroom window.
    I blame NIMBYism for that. The old dear's place in SW20 has dreadful mobile signal and they want to put a new mast up. So of course people are up in arms that they don't want a phone mast. These are the same idiots that complain about the lack of signal.
    I'm halfway up a hill. There's a huge mast at the top with multiple antennas on and a smaller one near the bottom, I'm probably within 500m of both and no signal inside the house at all.
    that is your problem, you are in the "shadow" of mast

my BiL used to live under several masts (more ike 50 metres) and had sh1t reception
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    That there such things as 'automatic payments' on PayPal, where a 3rd party can just take money without your prior approval. I was unaware of such, until received what I thought was a scam email but did some research.

All (3) such are now deleted from my PayPal account. Tick.

Triggered by an email from Packlink (shipping link from eBay sale) saying the box I shipped on their quote via UPS 6 weeks ago was oversize and here's a surcharge. If I want to dispute then must send photos of (long since shipped) box with tape measure in shot.

FRO. I supplied the info you requested to provide quote, I accepted said quoted price encouraged by your declarations of cheaper via us etc, that's the contract. Do one.

A short googling says this BS happens a lot. With automatic payment set up on PayPal they could just help themselves to whatever £ they fancy. Lots of people been ripped off.

If you have a PayPal account, check the settings and delete any such automatic payments.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Only just realised that Ferrari is the equivalent of Smith. Suddenly driving around in a Smith Red Head seems somewhat less exotic 😁
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,374
    rjsterry said:

Only just realised that Ferrari is the equivalent of Smith. Suddenly driving around in a Smith Red Head seems somewhat less exotic 😁

Like Giuseppe Verdi, aka 'Joe Green'.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    No that different to big fashionable names here like "Vivian Westwood" or Paul Smith.
  • elbowloh
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Fabio Capello = Bean Farmer a Hair.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

If Ferrari were Gaelic they'd be called McGowan.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

There was a designer* label Joe Bloggs.

*Designer as in trendy, not proper designer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Blueberries are green on the inside!

I've never had reason to cut one before, quite a surprise.

The older I get, the better I was.

• morstar
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

In my student years, some friends and I had some t-shirts from a brand named Rudewear. All very juvenile but we found it very amusing at the time.

I had a Bloe Jobbs t-shirt.
  • elbowloh
    Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Baa Baa Black Sheep are the same tune.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    elbowloh said:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Baa Baa Black Sheep are the same tune.

Google 4 chord song by Axis of awesome.

Popular music rather than nursery rhymes but it’s a bit of an eye opener. (For those of us who are musically illiterate that is).
  • pinno
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

In my student years, some friends and I had some t-shirts from a brand named Rudewear. All very juvenile but we found it very amusing at the time.

I had a Bloe Jobbs t-shirt.
    There was a series of T shirts in the late 80's and 90's that I recall. One was Weetafix, the other in the style of Marlboro Cigarettes: Marijuana. 20 A class joints.
  • elbowloh
    Captain Barnacle in Octonauts is voiced by Geordie Michael from Alan Partridge otherwise known as Simon Greenall.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

Captain Barnacle in Octonauts is voiced by Geordie Michael from Alan Partridge otherwise known as Simon Greenall.

The delights of young children and C beebies TV.
    It's bearable until you recognise a repeat of the night garden.
  • elbowloh
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

We've seen all of them many, many times over.

Same for Hey Duggee.

Current favourites are Snail and the Whale, the Highway Rat, Gruffalo and Room on the Broom - all on iPlayer.

I like anything with Maddie or Grace from Grace's amazing machines...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

He also voices the Meerkats in the compare the market ads.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

The other day I reminded my 12yo that from about 6 months to 1yo, she would only fall asleep if I continually hummed the ITNG theme tune on a loop. No wonder I have a slightly haunted look in photos from back then.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

pinno said:

elbowloh said:

The other day I reminded my 12yo that from about 6 months to 1yo, she would only fall asleep if I continually hummed the ITNG theme tune on a loop. No wonder I have a slightly haunted look in photos from back then.
    it was the recapat the end that broke me.

we made sure that No.2 never discovered it
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    I rcently learnt that there is some education in Octonauts. My son could identify an animal in the zoo I had never even heard of.
  • rick_chasey
    I knew there were some brave people who helped contain and clean up the Chernobyl accident, but I had no idea about the thousands of soldiers who the authorities sent up to the roof to literally throw the super radioactive bits of graphite back off the roof into the remnants of the core.

It was so radioactive they were only allowed to spend between 1 minute and 2 minutes up on the roof, depending on which part. Imagine how frantic that must have been. Terrifying.

Each time someone was done their lead protective suits had to be buried in concrete as they had absorbed so much radiation.

(scene from the programme of the same name).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    I always fancied visiting Chernobyl. The tours there sound interesting.