Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    pblakeney said:

Braking distances are halved on single lane blind corners as you have to account for the oncoming traffic. Managed to avoid the head on collision but was still braking as I punched the wing mirror and came off. Lesson learned the hard way.

Ah. Snap. Chute today. Underpass of a big dual carriageway, 3m tarmac path, drop down to blind sharp left under the road. Always think what if... Today there was a rider coming the other way. Just as I swing over to the RH to take the bend, other rider cuts across the corner. Shee-it. Disc brakes are good. We hit each other in the vegetation at the side but we'd almost almost stopped... No damage, no scratches, no contretemps either way.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    edited July 2021
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Braking distances are halved on single lane blind corners as you have to account for the oncoming traffic. Managed to avoid the head on collision but was still braking as I punched the wing mirror and came off. Lesson learned the hard way.

Still in one piece? You that is.
    Yeah. Badly swollen knuckles but movement. Road rash on my knee protecting the bike as I toppled. Probably only 5mph (originally 16mph from Strava) when it suddenly became zero. I thought I was being cautious too but my fault as the car had managed to stop. Lesson learned by the now cornering Miss Daisy. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Yeah. Badly swollen knuckles but movement. Road rash on my knee protecting the bike as I toppled. Probably only 5mph (originally 16mph from Strava) when it suddenly became zero. I thought I was being cautious too but my fault as the car had managed to stop. Lesson learned by the now cornering Miss Daisy. 😉
    At least that knee protected the bike :)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

At least that knee protected the bike :)
    Indeed, glad the bike's ok pb 😁
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    👍
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

AC Milan was started by two Englishmen and originally also had a cricket team.

Yes, hence the St George's flag in the emblem.

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/117408/juve-and-notts-county-liverpool-and-barca-arsenal-and-sparta-prague-foreign-clubs-influenced-englan/
    Atheltic Bilbao was also started by Brits, hence the name (as opposed to say "Atletico Madrid).

Also, most Italian and Spanish teams call the boss "Meester" - as most of the coaches when the clubs started were British.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/117408/juve-and-notts-county-liverpool-and-barca-arsenal-and-sparta-prague-foreign-clubs-influenced-englan/
    Atheltic Bilbao was also started by Brits, hence the name (as opposed to say "Atletico Madrid).

Also, most Italian and Spanish teams call the boss "Meester" - as most of the coaches when the clubs started were British.

You didn't read the link, did you?

ATHLETIC BILBAO AND Sunderland/Southampton

Athletic Bilbao's English origin is evident in the club's use of the English word 'Athletic', rather than the Spanish 'Atletico'. Their first official kit was a blue and white number inspired by Blackburn Rovers, but they switched to red and white stripes after a club member bought 50 new shirts on a trip to England. There are claims from both Sunderland and Southampton (like Bilbao, both ports, with heavy links to the Spanish city) that their local team provided Athletic's historic shirts. Whatever the truth there, England's influence is undeniable on one of Spain's most historic clubs.
  • elbowloh
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Athletic Bilbao's English origin is evident in the club's use of the English word 'Athletic', rather than the Spanish 'Atletico'. Their first official kit was a blue and white number inspired by Blackburn Rovers, but they switched to red and white stripes after a club member bought 50 new shirts on a trip to England. There are claims from both Sunderland and Southampton (like Bilbao, both ports, with heavy links to the Spanish city) that their local team provided Athletic's historic shirts. Whatever the truth there, England's influence is undeniable on one of Spain's most historic clubs.
    Of course I didn't. I don't read links, especially yours...😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

elbowloh said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Of course I didn't. I don't read links, especially yours...😉
    At least mine work.
    seewildlife linky no worky.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Where are all the asbestos deaths?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638

At the right hand end of the graph, deaths are at 15/100,000. Mesothelioma deaths have been steady at ~0.75/100,000 for some time and so would be masked by the much larger numbers of smoking related deaths.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

At the right hand end of the graph, deaths are at 15/100,000. Mesothelioma deaths have been steady at ~0.75/100,000 for some time and so would be masked by the much larger numbers of smoking related deaths.
    rjsterry said:

Thanks.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited August 2021
    That they’re turning off landline phones by 2025. All based on internet tech from now.

You’ll need to plug a phone into a router in order to have a landline.

Wonder how this will affect areas with pee poor internet?

To do with the move to more reliable fibre vs copper wires. I thought most of the last mile was still copper wire for anybody not on proper fibre to the door. As far as I was aware Virgin was the only full fibre provider.
  • elbowloh
    morstar said:

That they’re turning off landline phones by 2025. All based on internet tech from now.

To do with the move to more reliable fibre vs copper wires. I thought most of the last mile was still copper wire for anybody not on proper fibre to the door. As far as I was aware Virgin was the only full fibre provider.

We have full fibre to home with BT now
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    morstar said:

You seem to be right. Another reason that having an ethernet wided house would be useful. I should imagine this will be unpopular with people with big houses that are wired for phones.

• morstar
    elbowloh said:

morstar said:

Out of interest, is it a new build or are they connecting existing properties with full fibre.

Having re-read the article I saw, it doesn’t say they are getting rid of copper by 2025, just prefer fibre.

I find it a little ironic that we have been forced to pay for landlines in order to get broadband and now they’re ditching them.
  • elbowloh
    morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

Out of interest, is it a new build or are they connecting existing properties with full fibre.

Having re-read the article I saw, it doesn’t say they are getting rid of copper by 2025, just prefer fibre.

I find it a little ironic that we have been forced to pay for landlines in order to get broadband and now they’re ditching them.
    1930s build. Only moved here on November last year. Ordered BT fibre and was only expecting it to be to the cab, so was pleasantly surprised.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

1930s build. Only moved here on November last year. Ordered BT fibre and was only expecting it to be to the cab, so was pleasantly surprised.
    Good to know. We have been on virgin for probably 8 or 9 years. Generally trouble free but the lack of a viable alternative has seen me paying more than I perhaps could.

Funnily enough, looked at alternatives 2 or 3 years ago and the speeds offered were significantly lower than when I was on an open reach based service prior to moving to Virgin.
  • elbowloh
    morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

Good to know. We have been on virgin for probably 8 or 9 years. Generally trouble free but the lack of a viable alternative has seen me paying more than I perhaps could.

Funnily enough, looked at alternatives 2 or 3 years ago and the speeds offered were significantly lower than when I was on an open reach based service prior to moving to Virgin.
    I actually ordered Virgin first as I was with them for years previously with no hassle, but they spent 3 months sending out engineers 3 times and 6 preinstall teams out without achieving anything and had to cancel. Then BT also fecked around for ages, but at least with them they paid me £5 per day of delay and £20 for each missed appointment and ended up £170 up before I started getting a service.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    edited August 2021
    I suppose they will still charge a fee for having a phone line even when it doesnt really exist.

Usually you can negotiate virgin down to a price within a few quid of the new virgin customer deals but ive never actually managed to get them to match them exactly.

Full house tv and 100mb broadband for £59
  • elbowloh
    mully79 said:

I suppose they will still charge a fee for having a phone line even when it doesnt really exist.

Usually you can negotiate virgin down to a price within a few quid of the new virgin customer deals but ive never actually managed to get them to match them exactly.

I thought I was paying too much for my virgin service so rang them up.

"I think I'm paying too....."
    Before I could finish the sentence:
    "How about we take £20 a month off your bill."
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    elbowloh said:

mully79 said:

I thought I was paying too much for my virgin service so rang them up.

"I think I'm paying too....."
    Before I could finish the sentence:
    "How about we take £20 a month off your bill."
    When I phoned, this was an automated recording - could have got a reduction without even talking to someone, just pressing a button.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    I don't have a 4G signal. The phone lines travel 4 miles from an exchange 3/4 mile away as the crow flies. Scottish Govts project 100% roll out of "superfast broadband" means 10 MBPS and is so out of date this is now slow broadband, and already 3 years behind schedule. They are handing out vouchers for "alternatives". This means satellite broadband, at well over £1k a year that isn't remotely covered by the voucher and requires you to have a dish in the garden, download limits and no internet in bad weather (well, this is Scotland so...).

And yet somehow by 2025 this shambles is going to be like the internet in downtown Seoul?
  • elbowloh

I don't have a 4G signal. The phone lines travel 4 miles from an exchange 3/4 mile away as the crow flies. Scottish Govts project 100% roll out of "superfast broadband" means 10 MBPS and is so out of date this is now slow broadband, and already 3 years behind schedule. They are handing out vouchers for "alternatives". This means satellite broadband, at well over £1k a year that isn't remotely covered by the voucher and requires you to have a dish in the garden, download limits and no internet in bad weather (well, this is Scotland so...).

And yet somehow by 2025 this shambles is going to be like the internet in downtown Seoul?

4g? Can't get any mobile signal at all where I am and I'm 14 miles from the centre of London. I can see the landmarks from my bedroom window.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

4g? Can't get any mobile signal at all where I am and I'm 14 miles from the centre of London. I can see the landmarks from my bedroom window.
    that adds a whole new level to the sticks and banjo debate. Where are you?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    elbowloh said:

I blame NIMBYism for that. The old dear's place in SW20 has dreadful mobile signal and they want to put a new mast up. So of course people are up in arms that they don't want a phone mast. These are the same idiots that complain about the lack of signal.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Banstead
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

I blame NIMBYism for that. The old dear's place in SW20 has dreadful mobile signal and they want to put a new mast up. So of course people are up in arms that they don't want a phone mast. These are the same idiots that complain about the lack of signal.
    I'm halfway up a hill. There's a huge mast at the top with multiple antennas on and a smaller one near the bottom, I'm probably within 500m of both and no signal inside the house at all.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Banstead
    Were you attracted to the area by the wonderfully named Nork Park?